Destroyed by Your Lack of Sympathy

RENT.

I woke up to a knock on my door.
A thousand thoughts on who it was rushed into my head.
The cops, the stoners, the apartment official?
Any one of those were an option, all with dire consequences
I needed to pay my rent, the cops would mean jail, and my stoners, well they would beg for any drugs I had. Which I had gotten rid of last night. They would be pissed, and most likely attack me. My friends were weird like that. Total addicts and total freaks.
I don’t know why I even still hang out with them. I have other, non-addict friends. That’s right, they hated me still. Oh well, maybe this next show will be the one, where I find my true love. I returned to the real world and gathered my money. Opening the door to reveal my landlord. Thank god it was just her.
“How much do I owe?” I asked simply. She rolled her eyes.
“60. You missed last month’s payment.” The sternness in her voice was scary.
“Oh shit, I’m sorry.” I panicked, while frantically searched the pile I had for several tens. “Here. That should cover it.” I sighed. I hated giving away my money. I closed the door after she left. I quickly got ready to work. I wanted to get out as soon as I could. I couldn’t afford my stoners coming for their fix. I grabbed a ten and a hair tie and was on my way.