Status: Complete

Text Me When You Can

Text Me When You Can

His name was Seeley Fitzhugh, and he was as Irish-turned-American as they come. His eyes were dark brown, and his hair was a shade of gold. (Sad to say, he didn't have an accent. However, he was very, very handsome so that made up for the absence.) I suppose you could say that it was love at first sight.

It's extremely embarassing to admit, but I met him on an airplane. I should have thought he was some sort of terrorist or maybe just your common, garden-variety serial killer, but I didn't. I suppose it was his eyes. His eyes were just too honest. Our flight was a fairly short one -- an hour and a half from Wisconsin to Georgia -- and we had just gotten over the whole "this might be a crazy person so I better not reveal too much" issue when we landed.

On the subway, just moments before being swallowed by our individual mob of waiting parents, relatives, and friends, we swore to each other only one thing: that we would stay in touch. So in a hurry, we exchanged phone numbers and emails and swore that communication would not be broken.

And sure enough, in the car headed home, my phone beeped once and a text message appeared.

Over the next several months we continued to chat. Text messages were the most common, but we also emailed and IMed. Occasionally, we even talked over the phone.

Eventually, however, it wasn't enough to just text each other. He got a girlfriend, and I met Michael. But though we each had someone right beside us to love, we couldn't break the hold we had on one another. We tried, believe me, to sever the tie, but it was impossible to go more than one day without one of us slipping up and sending the other some sort of flirty message or funny picture.

We finally admitted to ourselves that we would forever be connected. So we continued to talk. And at the end of everyday when we had finished talking, texting, or whatever, we would always sign off with five simple words.

Text me when you can.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hola. I wrote this today, but the idea came to me over several days. Well, maybe not the whole airplane/connection thing, but the title did. I originally thought of "text me if you can" as a sort of play on "catch me if you can." But then the word "if" was the wrong word. If was too circumstancial, too subject to change. It had to be "when" because "if" was too open. It would mean that the two characters would only communicate if they could, not that they would no matter what.
Oh, and I also had planned for this to be something more than a one-shot. But I realized that would really be too drawn out. It'd be boring to read the same idea over and over again.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading this story. Feel free to check out my other works (I just finished Phoebe today!), and remember that feedback is always welcome and appreciated.