Why Nickie Died

Goodbye

Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die.
-Amelia Burr

***

Nickie stood there, frozen with shock.

"Oh my God! Thank you.", Nickie said. She didn't know anything else to say. She was so overwhelmed. Everyone she loved was here. Her father's brothers, her cousins, her mother's sisters. Everyone.

She suddenly hugged everyone as she said a simple "Thank you" to each of them.

"Oh, and a cake too? And chcolate! My favorite!", Nickie said like a little chiled withbeaming eyes as they all sat down in the kitchen table to eat.
"It's from your Aunt Teresa.", her mom said.
"Thanks, aunt Teresa. I appreciate it."
"Certainly", Teresa replied.

Arthur, his youngest cousin, suddenly came up to her, handing her a small glass-like box.

"Is this from you?", Nickie asked with a soft, innocent voice.
"Mommy bought it but I wanna give it to you, Wickie.", Arthur said.
"An iPod! Oh, thank you so much" Nickie hugged Arthur tight.
"Welcome."
"Okay, let's eat now. I'm sure everyone is hungry. Nickie, blow your candles!"

Nickie giggled excitedly like a child.

Then, Nickie leaned forward to her chocolate as she blew out her candles one by one, remembering her missing dad.

***

Everybody ate their meals while talking to each other. But Nickie remained silent.

"Nickie, what's wrong?", his Uncle Ben said.
"N-nothing, uncle Ben. It's just that..."
"What is it, Nickie?", her aunt Teresa interrupted.
"It's dad."

Everybody froze.

"I want him to be here. With us."

Mrs. Jenkins looked at her.

Without a word, she left the dining table where her mom visibly smiled at her strong daughter.

***

She walked out in the cool night.

It was so cold outside that Nickie shivered.

Truth be told, she herself wasn't sure what she was doing. What if dad agreed to come, but her relatives didn't? Everybody knows what his dad did to her mom...

She turned onto another street.

In this precise moment, she was almost in tears. In this precise moment, she realized what kind of person she really is. She's the kind of person that just wanted to be truly happy. She's the kind of girl that would push the limits to solve a problem, no matter how big or small it is. It's always love that's in her heart. It's always care in her heart. It doesn't matter if people call her a martyr, it doesn't matter if people avoided her. She was proud of who she really is, and would do anything for the people she loved.

Nickie wiped her tears and looked ahead at the road in front of her.

But all she saw was a red car about to hit her.

Why am I not moving? Move, Nickie!, she thought. But she couldn't. She couldn't even felt her legs, her arms. Her mouth was still wide open, and so are her brown eyes. She was a hundred percent sure that there was something keeping her from moving. As she still stood there, tears flowed like faucet water. Fast. Non-stop. Am I going to die? No! No, no, no, no...., she thought. Nickie felt panic spread across her face. As the seconds slowly ticked by, images of her father and her mother passed through her head. The only people in the world that mattered to her.

But it was too late for her to realize that her dad saw everything happen in front of his own eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks a zillion times to my readers! You guys inspire me to write more stories :)
This story is almost finished :D
I listened to All Time Low while writing this chapter.

thanks!
`stockholm.syndrome.