Why Nickie Died

Anne Jenkins

"She's in your office already.", Leah said as the two of them walked towards his office. "I don't wanna keep her waiting in the lobby."
"Thanks, Leah.", Jeff said, his tone and breathing steady now.
"Hey, can I ask you something?"
"Sure.", Jeff answered.
"Who's the woman? I've been asking her for a few times to keep her company but...she just doesn't talk. Literally."
"Are you serious?", Jeff asked.
"Well, to me, to say the least. Don't worry about it. Answer my question."
"She's Mrs. Jenkins, Nichole's mother. The girl that was kiled a few weeks ago."
"And?"
"I'm supposed to write a report about it. And I can't think of any person to talk to about her except her mother. Obviously."
"Hmmph."

The two of them reached the door to Jeff's office. Leah eyed the wary mother inside the room curiously.

"You sure she's gonna give you some answers?", Leah asked.
"Yeah. Let's see what happens."
"Tell her it's your birthday. You'll be special in front of her.", she said sarcastically.

Jeff was about to open the glass doors but Leah abruptly put an arm across his chest.

"What?"
"Your tie. Here, let me fix it." Jeff eyed Leah with narrow eyes as she fumbled his tie.
"Thanks."
"Welcome", Leah replied.
"So...I'll see you later?"
"You will."

And then Jeff pressed his lips to Leah's before going in.

***

"Good morning, Mrs. Jenkins. I'm deeply sorry I kept you waiting for hours. I'm stuck in traffic and--"
"Don't worry about it.", Mrs. Jenkins interrupted. Her voice was angel-like, something Jeff hadn't been expecting at all, especially because of the way she looked. Her eyes has two black circles underneath them, her cheeks covering her cheekbones tightly, and her pony-tailed hair fixed in a messy way.

Jeff sat in his table in front where Mrs. Jenkins is sitting.

"So, you see, I'm writing a report on your daughter, Nichole. And, I can't think of any person that would be best to talk to except you."
"Please, call me Anne." Anne smiled.
"Okay. Anne." Jeff smiled back. "First of all, I'm truly sorry for your loss. If there's any details you want to skip or something, don't mind to."
"Don't worry..."
"Oh, it's Jeff." He reached out a hand that Anne shook.
"So...let's start?"
"Yeah." Jeff fumbled his folder. "So, who's Nichole?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to the readers of this story! I watched some crime show on tv and I figured out why not write one :) Oh, and i didn't listen to any music while writing this chapter (just so you know)

thank you.

`ninjas.and.muses.