Ready, Set, Go?

Cooties

It was the middle of summer. The birds were out and chirping. The sun shown through the trees with the blinding light that made all of the fair skinned people cringe, but for Zak and I it was heaven. Our days consisted of swimming at the local pool, swinging on the swings at the park, and playing football with the neighborhood kids. Life couldn't get better than this, unless the Ice Cream Man decided to drive by.

I sat on the swing after a long day of outdoor fun. Zak was rambling on about how he had seen some stupid rare bird, while pushing me.

"Higher," I said. I was barely moving. My feet dragged on the ground. I was the shortest girl in 5th grade and yet I didn't fit in the swings at the park. I looked over my shoulder at him.

"I can't," Zak whined. "I'm to tired!" He slumped over and pouted at me.

"Fine, I'll race you back to the house then and you can go to sleep, whiner baby," I said. I jumped up and stood next to him. We lined up on either side of the swing. My house was right across the street from the park and he lived right next door to me. "Ready...," I said. He hopped into place.

"Set," he said. He stood in his 'running stance' but really it looked like he was failing at doing the splits.

I pushed the swing out of the way and kissed him on the cheek and then shouted, "GO!" I took off leaving him behind in the dust.


♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I woke up startled. "Shit" I muttered. I had fallen asleep. That dream had seemed so real. I wish I had had the guts to do that when I was younger. I could hear my mom walking up the stairs. She banged on the door.

"Amy?" she called through the door. "Amy, you need to wake up hunny Zak will be here soon and you know your father and I have a date tonight so you will have to cook dinner for yourself tonight"

"Okay Mom," I called back. "I'll be down in a second. Just chill okay?" I could hear my mom sigh and walk away.

I got out of bed and got dressed quickly, turned on my straightening iron and fixed my makeup. Once I was done reapplying my eyeliner and straightening my hair I took a step back to examine myself.

"Well," I thought to myself. "My hair looks good. . . I wish I had a shirt that showed off my cleavage more. Hm. . . something is missing. . . LIP GLOSS" I grabbed my pink lip gloss off of my dresser and quickly applied it. Just as I did so the doorbell rang. I swung open my bedroom door and bounded down the stairs.

I leaned against the wall wile my mom opened the door. I tried to look like those women you see in the movies. The ones my mom thinks are sluts. I put one of my hands on my hip and the other I brushed my side bangs out of my face with.

"Hello, Zak. Nice to see you again," my mom said while hugging him. "Amy," She turned to me. "What the hell are you doing?"

I sighed and pushed off the wall. "Nothing just standing," I said.

"Okay. Well, Dad and I will be out until around 12. So, don't wait up," she said while kissing my forehead. "Zak can stay as long as he likes. But, I do want you here. Don't go wandering off tonight okay? Oh there's some pasta in the pantry and some tomato sauce on the counter." My dad emerged from his office.

"Ready to go?" he asked my mom.

"Yeah," she said. "You kids have fun and no wild parties." she kissed us both on the forehead and then left with my dad. As they pulled out of the drive way Zak pulled the latest Saw movie out from behind his back.

"Want to watch?" he asked smirking some. I loved that smirk. It made my insides melt.

"Sure I'll get the popcorn. You don't mind that being dinner right?" I asked as I walked to the kitchen and put a bag of popcorn in the microwave.

"Nope sounds great," he said. I could here the DVD player close and him jump on the couch with a small thud. I opened the candy draw that my mom thought no one knew about. "Do you have any M&M's?"

"Of course," I said bringing in the bag of popcorn and all the candy I could grab. "My moms a closet candy addict. We have EVERYTHING!" I turned out the lights and sat down beside him. This was how we spent our summer now. It's amazing how life changes after 5 years. I sighed and relaxed as the movie started. I don't mind that it has changed. As long as he is still here with me I don't care.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first stories I wrote.
I'm copying them out of a notebook.
Please don't be to harsh on this one it is the first one and my other ones are way better.
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

♥,
Mel