I've Been the Secret That You've Been Keeping

01.

I was supposed to be cleaning the basement out, but when I came across a box with “Dani age 5-9” written on it, I couldn’t resist.

I brought the box upstairs and took out a video tape labeled “Dani’s 6th bday party” and put it into my VHS.

About ten six year olds were gathered around a table singing happy birthday to a girl who still had natural brown hair and a pink princess crown on her hair. She closed her eyes for a brief moment before taking a huge breath and blowing out the candles.

The first slice was cut and given to her. She noticed the boy sitting next to her looking jealously at the cake, so she grabbed a bit of her slice and shoved it in his face, much like a bride would shove wedding cake in her groom’s face.

I laughed, remembering Jon Walker, my best friend until fourth grade. My family moved a few miles away to Barrington, Illinois, and I lost contact with everyone from my Barlett school district elementary school.

I continued watching, up until my younger self tore open my new Working Out Barbie! doll. The six year old me squeezed Jon tightly and my phone began to ring.

I paused the video and answered, “Chicago morgue, you slash ‘em, we stash ‘em. How can I help you?”

“I’d like to refer my best friend Dani to a mental institution.”

“Shut up Adam.”

“How many times have I told you? It’s Sisky.”

“How many times have I told you? Cut that bush growing out of your skull.”

“It’s not nice to make fun of people’s hair, Dani.”

“It’s not nice to call people mental, Adam.”

He was quiet for a moment and I smiled to myself. Adam was my best friend, even though he was two years younger than I was.

“What? Oh!” Adam said, obviously not to me. He then directed his voice back into the phone, “William wants me to tell you to come to his house right now.”

“Adam, he lives right down the street. Why he either call me himself or come down here and get me?”

I heard Adam relay this message back to William. William responded and Adam repeated it into the phone, “He said to just come over and bring your camera.”

“But Adam! I’m not very g-“ I was interrupted by Adam hanging up. “Does no one say goodbye anymore?” I grumbled, hanging up also.

Five minutes later, I was ranging William’s doorbell, my camera in hand.

Mike Carden opened the door for me.

“Oh, hey Mike,” I said, furrowing my eyebrows. “Did William make you his butler and Adam his fucking secretary or something?”

“He’s too busy writing lyrics or some shit like that. He can’t be bothered,” Mike said, rolling his eyes.

“Then why should I be bothered?”

“You’re his girlfriend, you’re the one he bothers when he can’t be bothered.”

I rolled my eyes and pushed past him. I walked deeper into the house, looking for William. I passed my brother, Tom, and a guy from Milwaukee who told me to call him ‘the Butcher’ in the kitchen, drinking root beer.

“William’s in his room,” Tom told me. “Be careful, he’s trying to write and you know how he gets stressed out.”

I nodded and made my way to William’s room.

“Knock knock!” I announced before opening his door.

“Dani, I need your help,” William said, looking up from his desk, loose leaf scattered around him.

“You certainly do need help,” I mused, looking around his pristine room, well, except for the papers. “No one should be this freakishly neat.”

“Not that,” he sighed, “I want you to take pictures of The Academy for our myspace and purevolume and shit like that.”

“Yeah, I figured. Why don’t you get Courtney to do it? She’s the photographer. I’m a singer. But you already have one of those,” I said smirking.

He smiled “Please Dani?” he pleaded.

“But Williaaaaam!”

“Pleeeeeease?” he said, giving me his puppy dog eyes.

“But Williaaa- damn your adorable puppy dog eyes. Fine, I’ll do it. But I’m charging you.”

“Did I ever tell you you’re the best girlfriend ever?” he asked, getting up and hugging me.

“Yes, but I love when you say it,” I said, hugging him back. “Now, if I’m going to be your photographer, we have some pictures to take.”

We went downstairs and I herded everyone outside for a few group shots and then some individual shots. After an hour, William professed himself satisfied.

I stayed for another hour or two to watch them practice and get some action shots before I had to leave.

“I’ll put these on the myspace tonight,” I promised before leaving.

“Wait, I’ll walk you home,” William said, catching up with me.

“William, my house is right down the street. I’ll be fine. Go practice, you have a gig on Saturday.”

“But-“

“It’s not the 1800s, girls are perfectly capable of walking themselves home, especially in broad daylight. I’ll see you guys at school tomorrow.” I kissed his cheek and continued walking home.

True to my word, I put the best pictures on their myspace. I completely redid the layout as well, to suit the new pictures.

The alarm blared at 6 AM on the dot. I groaned and hit snooze. I had fallen asleep a scant five hours ago.

Then, my phone started to ring. I glared at where it was charging across the room. Deciding that it might be important, I sighed and tumbled out of bed.

“What?” I snapped, not bothering to check the caller ID. “No witty opening? Did I call the right number?” Adam said in mock surprise.

“Why the hell are you calling at six in the effing morning?”

“Jason’s sick and I need a ride.”

“Take the bus.”

“But Daniiiiiiiii!”

“Why didn’t you call William? He’s the one who drives me.”

“He didn’t answer.”

“That’s probably because you called at the asscrack of dawn.”

“So is that a yes or a no?”

“Fine,” I said, snapping the phone such. I eyed the bed regretfully. I knew I wouldn’t be able to fall back asleep, no matter how much my body needed it.

I commenced with my morning routine, managing to look normal while feeling half dead.

When William picked me up, I told him the change of plans rather sourly.

We arrived at school a little later than usual, but we managed to get to class before the bell rang.

There were whispers of a new student, a “tall, dark, and handsome” guy that moved here from Bartlett High.

I was walking with Courtney to math class and she pointed him out to me, saying that his name was Jon. He was pretty cute, I’d admit, but I wouldn’t say it to Courtney. After all, I was dating her brother.

Apparently, he was a year older than us, the same age as William, Mike and Tom. He also played bass, and was into photography.

For the rest of the week, I saw glimpses of him across the halls, but I never actually talked to him. By Friday, I was busy working on promoting the Academy and he was pushed to the back of my mind.

At the show on Saturday, I passed my forced duty of band photographer onto the more than willing Courtney. I manned the merch table instead.

During the Academy’s set, Jon came over to the merch table.

“I’ll have the black shirt, in a large,” he said, holding out a twenty. I took the cash and handed him the shirt.

He then stuck a ten dollar bill into the tip bucket. My eyes widened. Was he coming on to me?

“You’re Beckett’s girlfriend, right? I’m Jon,” he said, sticking out his hand.

“Danielle. Call me Dani,” I said, shaking his hand. “The tip…you know that was a ten, not a one, right?”

He smiled. “Yeah, Beckett’s a cool dude, and working merch is a thankless task.”

I smiled warmly, now that I understood his motives. “So, how do you know William?”

“I have a few classes with him, Mike and Tom.”

I nodded. “And I suppose one of them told you about the show tonight?”

“Yep. Listen, I saw the myspace, and I don’t want to sound pushy or arrogant or anything, but-“

“The pictures suck, I know.”

“Actually, they’re fairly good. I just think I could do a better job, you know? Would you mind if I took the job off your hands?”

“Oh, could you? William’s sister, Courtney, wants to focus on her photography, which means not coming to every single show. Since I took one photography class in freshman year and I’m dating the lead singer, that makes me runner up for the official band photographer.”

He laughed, “Well, my band broke up, and I need something to do. I do a bit of photography on the side, so I figured I’d see if anyone needed a band photographer.”

“What band were you in?”

“5o4 Plan,”

“Oh, I’ve heard of you guys! To be honest, I’ve never listened to your stuff, but I’ve heard of you.”

He nodded. “Cool. I’d love to stay here and talk, but I promised William that I’d give him an honest review and that’s hard when I’m talking to his girlfriend.”

I laughed, “Okay, it was nice talking to you!”

After the concert, and after we finished packing up, William came over to me and gave me a nice sweaty hug, one of his favorite post-concert rituals.

I rolled my eyes and hugged him back. “I talked to Jon,”

“Oh, cool!” he said, getting himself a water. “What’d you think?”

“He’s a cool dude. He offered to take over being the official band photographer, which I think is a good idea.”

William laughed. “That’s fine with me as well. I’m not going to force you to do something you don’t want to do.”

“That’s right you won’t. Now c’mon, post-show smoothies are on me.”

I swear, guys must have radar hearing when it comes to food because in an instant, I was surrounded by four more sweaty guys. I sighed. “Fine, I’ll buy smoothies for all of you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo, Molly told me she wanted to write a joint story with me. We had already planned one out like last November or something ridiculous like that, so I dusted off the first chapter, she fixed up a layout and VIOLA. here it is.

I know I butchered the timeline, but this is my (and Molly's) story, so step the fuck off my jock. Literary license and that stuff.

Comment cause you love us! :D
-Drama Queen