One of Us Is Going Down

How to Piss-Off Your Bodyguard 101.

English had gone well, Ashlyn was handed back a paper that she had made a B+ on. She was happy enough with it. As long as she was doing well in college, she was happy, she didn’t break her neck trying to make A’s, and her parents were ok with this, as long as her grades were good. She stepped outside the classroom, Brian was nowhere to be seen. Ashlyn’s brow wrinkled, he wouldn’t just leave, knowing she was about to get out of class. He wasn’t that irresponsible, for the love of god, the man stood outside the women’s public bathrooms while she did her thing.

She pulled her phone from her pocket and looked at it, taking it off vibrate for the day. She hit the number 6, which was Brian’s speed-dial. She waited as the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Where are you?” Ashlyn asked, getting right to the point.

“I went to get the car, so we don’t have to walk today. I’m on the side of the building, think you can make it out ok?”

“Yeah,” she said simply, I managed it in high school and junior high and all the trips I’ve taken, I think can make it out the damn door without getting mugged, raped or stabbed, she added in her brain.

She walked towards the stairs, going down with a bunch of other students, an idea came to her, she knew it would piss Brian off, but she was still going to do it. She walked to the other side of the building and leaned against the wall, making sure her car wasn’t in that side lot. She called Brian again.

“I don’t see you, where are you?”

“Are you in the north lot?”

“No, the back door looking out over the side lot.”

She was doing no such thing, in fact she was in a deserted hall at the moment, leaning against the wall, one leg crossed over the other as she spoke, pulling Brian’s leg.

“Can you come over here, or do I have to drive to you?”

Ashlyn looked out the back door. There happened to be parking lots on either side of the building, a street in front and a large grassy lawn in the back, she was looking out over the lawn.

“I’ll walk to you,” she answered, not moving still.

“Ok, where are you now?” He asked.

“Back door of the first floor, by the girls bathrooms,” this was the truth, and also where the act started. “Hey buddy you mind? Give that back! Hey! HEY!!”

She rubbed the phone against her shirt, knowing it would sound like a scuffled to Brian, she could hear him yelling her name.

“Brian!” she called loudly, then hit the end button, grinning like the devil.

There was no one in the hall, she had been alone the entire conversation. Her eyes turned to the door, wondering just how long it would take Brian to get to her. Then she saw him, cutting through students, who were cutting him nasty looks and flipping him off as he ran full-tilt towards the building. She grinned, biting back a laugh. He skidded to a halt, almost running into the tinted glass door, then he threw the door open and ran in, going right past Ashlyn. Her faith in his skills as her bodyguard faltered at that moment.

“How you doin’?” She asked in a mobster style voice.

Brian screeched to a halt, literally, his tennis shoes made skidding noises as he whipped around to look at her, breathless. The emotions on his face went from confused to happy, to confusion and then settled on anger as he turned to look at her.

“Good hustle buddy, ten seconds, that’s impressive.”

“You’re ok?” He asked, through gritted teeth.

“Yep,” she popped the ‘p’.

Brian looked livid. For a moment, Ashlyn thought maybe she shouldn’t have done this. He growled, yes growled, at her, then grasped her wrist in his iron grip and drug her back to her car. No one said a word on the drive home. Ashlyn didn’t dare move in the passenger seat, Brian’s lips were pursed tightly together the entire ride home. He looked like he wanted to strangle her, and he was more than capable of doing so.

They got out, Brian ushered Ashlyn to her room, she did her homework in silence, almost regretting that she had pulled the prank on Brian. She would never admit that it was fun though. Brian had stomped around in the apartment all afternoon, Ashlyn was thirsty, but she didn’t dare move. She just stayed on her bed, studying as Brian stomped around, every so often casting an angry glare her way.

Ashlyn sat on the bed as Brian ordered pizza, then sat in front of the tv.

“Are you coming out tonight? I don’t bite,” Brian called from the living room.

“Kinda scared to actually, I don’t want to be strangled.”

Brian appeared in the door way then.

“I’m not going to strangle you,” he grinned. “I guess it was pretty good, just don’t do it again, ok?”

“I promise.”

“Come on then,” Brian said as he went to get the door.