One of Us Is Going Down

One for One

In the eight long hours since the video call, they had figured out where Ashlyn was being held and formulated a plan to go get her. Brain had all but threatened on pain of death to be taken on the mission to get her back. He was going to be allowed to go in after her. He’d fought hard to be taken, and he was thankful as he sat in the back of a black SUV on the way to the location. He was going to find her and get her the hell out. To hell with the rest, he just wanted her out and safe. That was all that mattered. Cathy was still crying when they left, she hadn’t stopped, not that Brian could blame her. As they drew closer everyone began checking their weapons and doing a last minute run through of the plan just once more. Everyone had to know every single detail of the plan. Brian would be following the troops going in for Ashlyn while others had the job of getting them in and out, taking as many gang members as they could, once Ashlyn was out they could blow the whole place up for all he cared.

They approached the building and as soon as the vehicle stopped they were scrambling out. Brian followed silently, thankful for the gun in his hands as shadows moved around him. They stopped by a door, three seconds they were in. Night Vision came in handy as they entered the dark warehouse. Groups dispersed and began crawling the place over like ants over an anthill. Brian followed his team, knowing with each step they were getting closer to Ashlyn. They heard shots ring out, shouting and they picked up the pace. Twisting and turning down dark and cold corridors. They came to the door of the room where she was supposedly being held. Brian’s breath caught in his lungs as they prepped to open the door. All he wanted was the feel of her arms around him, the gentle clean smell of her hair to fill his senses, to hold her and know she was safe and that she was going to be safe. He closed his eyes in silent prayer then opened them as he heard the door open. She wasn’t there.

“She’s not here,” the leader of their group said.

Brian pushed his way to the front to see for himself. She wasn’t there. He slammed his fist into the wall in utter frustration. Where was she? Where had they taken her? Screams. Screams from several rooms down met their ears. Brian took off in a run for the room. He knew beyond doubt that it was Ashlyn. He shot the lock and kicked the door open. Sure enough in the middle of the room was Ashlyn tied to a chair, dirty and bloody.

“Brian!!” Ashlyn screamed.

The two men in the room met a quick end after Brian saw her. The team filled the room, some untying
her, others watching the entrance.

“Are you ok?” Brian asked quickly.

She nodded, in too much shock to do much else. As soon as he had her hands untied, her arms flew around her neck as another man worked on untying her feet from the chair.

“Take me home,” She said softly in his neck.

“We are,” Brian said as more shots rang out even closer.

“We have to move!” the leader shouted.

Brain hefted Ashlyn up and carried her from the room as they ran for the door. Twisting through and around turns and corners again, they found themselves in a bit of a shoot out trying to get out.

The front was no longer accessible, they had to turn around and blindly go for the back. They hurried along, taking random men out here and there. Ashlyn kept her head tucked in Brian’s neck and eyes closed, she’d seen enough already. She didn’t want to see anymore. They made it out the back door and into an alley. The car was trying to get around to them. They’d apparently kicked the hornet's nest. Tires squealing against the pavement alerted them that they car was close. They began running for the mouth of the alley as shouts and shots rang out behind them.

Brian ran with all he had for the car as it sped towards them. He didn’t count on being shot. He went down with a cry, Ash tumbling from his arms. She screamed as the asphalt chewed at her arms and legs, rolling to see Brian. She looked behind him seeing men running their way with guns, casings rained down in the alley.

“Brian!!” She screamed, covering her head, ears ringing.

The car squaled to a stop and suddenly arms wrapped around her waist hauling her up into the car. She was shoved down in the foot of the bulletproof car, the last thing her eyes saw were the two men going to help Brian being shot.

“Go! Go! Go!” And with that the driver sped off out of the alley.

Ashlyn was in hysterics, screaming for Brian. She was still screaming by the time they reached the house, she had to be sedated before they could even pull her out of the car.

When Ash came to hours later she first felt the stiff scratchy bandages littering her body. It all came back to her in flashes. Her body lurched up, heart pounding.

“It’s ok! It’s ok! Ash! You’re alright!” She turned to her side, seeing her mother.

Her eyes scanned the room, her parents’ house in LA, her stepfather, by her side in an instant,
numerous cops with guns, and a nurse.

“What-” she croaked.

Cathy was quick to hand her a glass of cool water. She took a few gulps.

“What happened?” Her voice still sounded funny. Not that it really mattered at the moment.

“Brian got you out, they lost quite a few men and women getting you out.”

“What about Brian?” She asked, fearing the worst.

“Well, once they noticed your attachment to him, they kept him and are now using him for ransom.” Trent said, looking disgusted with himself.

Ashlyn took a few moments to let it all sink in. She was safe, they had Brian, they still wanted the money. What was next? She knew that the FBI, cops, whoever else didn’t cave to threats. So what did that mean for Brian. There was no way he could get out on his own. They would be on extra lockdown now that she had been taken from them.

“So what’s next? What are we doing to get Brian out?” She asked.

Trent sighed and explained the plan to her. No one liked it, especially Cathy. But the demands had grown, and the only one they would accept the money from was Ashlyn now. She would have to be the one to deliver, the only catch was that she would be carrying fake money. She would have barely enough time to get herself and Brian out of there before they figured out what was going on and came after them. At that point the force would step in, she wasn’t clear on exactly who would be taking the gang out, and she didn’t really care. As long as Brian got out ok, they could have a tea party together for all she cared.

After a shower, Ashlyn changed into her clothes, a tee and ripped jean shorts accompanied by black leather slip on Vans. Something she could run in. She felt her entire body shaking as those in charge went over the plan with her again and again, making her repeat it to them word for word, going over the route she would drive again and again and then going over the back up plans. It could so easily fall apart. She was given a gun, tucked in the back of her waistband, another in the glove compartment of the car she would be driving. She swallowed and started the car. This was it.

“You going to be ok?” The chief asked.

She didn’t know his name, they just kept referring to him as ‘chief’. She nodded and pulled out of the garage in one of the family’s Lamborghini’s.

During the drive they kept talking to her over a walkie-talkie, trying to calm her, letting her know when to speed up or slow down as everyone else was getting into position. She moved through the LA traffic, every now and then stealing glances at the bag in the passenger seat, the bag she would be trading for Brian very shortly.

“Almost there, one minute.” A voice spoke over the radio.

She swallowed hard and turned, made another turn and stopped the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm baaaaccckkk! And I finally have my own computer! Be expecting updates on a regular basis now as well as some new stories soon! I'd still love to hear from you, if anyone is even still reading this. If you are, thanks for sticking with me this long!