One of Us Is Going Down

Invasion of the ‘Adult Baby-Sitter’

After bathing the dog, Ashlyn took a shower and fixed herself back to normal in time for dinner. She walked to the main house in jeans and a simple gray t-shirt, Benedict following close behind. She sat in her seat at the table, eating her pasta innocently, until her mother dropped the bomb.
“We found you a bodyguard today, he’s nice, quiet, but nice,” Cathy smiled at her daughter.
“MOM! I don’t need one! I can take care of myself, hundreds of thousands of kids do every day at UCLA!” Ashlyn protested.
“And many of them have something happen to them,” Trent interjected.
“Ashlyn, be nice to him, he’s moving in tomorrow.”
“Fine,” she groused.

What Ashlyn did not know was that bright and early, this man would invade her sacred pool house. She did how ever find out at eight am sharp the next morning when she heard Benedict bark and go running for the door of the pool house from her room. She groaned, thinking immediately of three different ways to kill the person responsible for waking her at the moment. She stood from the bed and poked her head out to see her mother in the living room.
“Mom, what are you looking for?” Ashlyn asked.
“Why aren’t you dressed!? I told you he would be here at eight-thirty!”
“So, I’ll just meet him at lunch. I’d rather hang out in the pool house all day anyways.”
“You really need to get out, put on your face,” Cathy said, taking her daughter to the bathroom.
“I kinda like the one I was born with?” Ashlyn groused and began scrubbing a soft brush into her mineral powder, only to apply it to her face as her mother cut her a ‘you know what I mean’ look.
“You’ll be meeting him when he moves in, does it matter what room he takes?”
It clicked then, her precious pool house was being invaded by the enemy.
“He is not moving in here.”
“Of course he is! How is he suppose to watch you if he’s in the main house?”
“That just sounds creepy on so many levels.”

Ashlyn walked into the kitchen to get a mug of coffee, as soon as she poured it, someone knocked on the pool house door. No one ever knocked, they just walked in. It must be him; she thought and went to answer the door to the over-grown baby-sitter.

The door to the pool house opened, reveling a young woman in her late teens standing there in a pair of Abercrombie and Fitch boy’s maroon sweat pants with the waist band rolled over and a loose gray deep v-neck on, her hair was stick straight and a dark brown with small honey colored highlights. She had a light tan, and looked a little tired. She was pretty, very pretty actually, with her green eyes, she could give the best beauty queens a run for their money with her eyes alone.
“Ashlyn?”

Ashlyn opened the door to see a man older then she, and taller, much taller. He was handsome, wearing a pair of dress pants and a button down. That had to be miserable in the heat. His face was breath taking, as cliché as that sounded. He had a facial bone structure that would make Adonis jealous, with brown eyes like warm chocolate, his hair was spiked at weird angles, his lips were pale pink and thin.

Great, now she would just feel like a total loser and buffoon when she did something stupid like choked on her own spit or tripped over her own feet, which she did often. Couldn’t her mother have found someone that wasn’t quite so attractive? Now she wouldn’t be able to function normally around him, she didn’t do well around the opposite sex to begin with, especially when they were as handsome as he happened to be. What about- Ashlyn was cut off in mid thought by his question.
“Ashlyn?”
“No, I’m the Tooth Fairy and you will address me as such thank you very much, and don’t ask about the wings, you can’t see them after the sun comes up.”

Well, that was rude. Maybe she is just like every other brat, Brian thought as he walked into the pool house. He watched as Ashlyn took a sip of coffee, squinted and looked back at him.
“Sorry, that was a little nasty, I’m not very sociable before ten am. Yeah I’m Ashlyn.”
She took another sip of her coffee and held up the pot at him, questioning if he wanted coffee. Great, so she’s bipolar on top of being a brat!? Brian wondered.

Cathy walked into the room at the moment.
“Brian, good to see you, I see you’ve met Ashlyn,” she turned to her daughter, “Honey, this is Brian, your bodyguard.”
Ashlyn waved and opened the pool house door to let the golden retriever out as Cathy showed Brian to his room.