One of Us Is Going Down

Bonding?

Ashlyn pulled the car to the track beside Troy as they waited for Leslie.

“So, their uncle is a cop here, this is where they train the cops for high-speed
chases, and film a couple of car commercials, it’s a good track,” Ashlyn said without any emotion on her face, concentrating, it hit Brian what they were about to do.

He looked to make sure her seat belt was buckled, as was his.

“Turn the car off now,” he said his voice dark and dangerous, it was enough to make Ashlyn shrink back in her seat a bit, with how stern and deep his voice was.

“You think I don’t know what I’m doing?” She grinned at him, a rather mischievous smirk.

“I know you don’t know what you’re doing.”

“You think the police would let us out here without training?” She mused again, he didn’t find this funny.

Someone had been yelling at them the entire argument over the walkie-talkie. Ashlyn snatched up the walkie-talkie.

“We’re going first,” and with that she threw the pedal on the floor and spun tires on her way out onto the track. “We had to train out here, three days a week for six months, get a special license and then we were allowed to drive out here, while the cops watched us. We finally this year are allowed out here without supervision. Not once have we crashed or even had to have a car repaired, believe me, we’re just as cautious as you want us to be right now. You slip up out here, you’re dead, no two ways about it.”

Someone said something over the walkie-talkie as Brian checked her speed, hearing the engine revving, she was pulling close to one-hundred and not stopping. It was exhilarating for Ashlyn, she felt alive, speeding around the driving course. Of course she, Leslie, and Troy would call out a move they were about to make on the walkie-talkie before they ever made it, being careful. Brian realized that he might have been wrong about her. She seemed smart and level headed, but he still hadn’t been around her long enough to know for sure yet.

It was the night before they would leave for LA, and Ashlyn was dragging her feet with the packing. She was excited about college, but she didn’t want to leave her family behind. She had everything out on her bed, she was just having trouble packing it. Brian had been packed for hours and was on the sofa in the living room of the pool house watching tv. His show went to commercial and she heard him walk towards her room, he walked in and sat on the corner of her bed, looking over all she still had to pack.

“Want some help?” he asked, smiling softly at her.

It was then that she realized she hadn’t gotten to know him well, and they would be living in an apartment, alone within forty-eight hours.

Brian handed her things off the bed in silence, and she put them in the suitcase she’d laid on the floor.

“So, um, where are you from?” she asked, trying to make the best of the situation, if she didn’t things would be very uncomfortable, Brian would be the only person in LA that she knew.

“A little south of LA actually, Long Beach, Huntington, that area,” he smiled and handed her a stack of t-shirts. “What’s your major going to be?” He asked.

“Design. I want to open my own clothing store and design my own stuff,” she smiled and talked about this, glowing. “That’s why I’m on the computer all the time, mom and Trent gave me this awesome clothing design program, I can draw what I want on the computer, and it will clean it up a bit, since I can’t really draw to save my life, then I have all my designs on the computer.”

“That sounds really cool,” Brian said, and in all honesty, it did.

“Thanks.”