One of Us Is Going Down

Private Jet

The next morning came, and it was hot and muggy. Brian helped load all of Ashlyn’s bags into the back of Trent’s hummer, she was quieter then he had ever seen her. Brian went to the pool house to tell her everything was ready to go, he found her in the kitchen on the floor, hugging Benedict.

“Everything’s ready,” Brian said softly, she was obviously having a hard time leaving.

She stood and he turned for the door.

“Brian,” he turned and looked at her, sunglasses already covering her eyes. “I don’t think I’ll be able to leave them at the airport.”

Her voice was so soft, and she was looking at the floor.

“I’ll help you,” he smiled softly and ushered her out the door.

Hugging her family at the airport was just as hard as she originally thought, she was trying too hard to keep it together. She hugged her mother, not wanting to let go. She knew she had to take a step back though, and she did.

“Come on,” Brian said softly behind her, she turned to see his hand outstretched to her, waiting for her to take his hand.

It was the hardest thing she ever had to do, but she took his hand, and walked away from her family. She let Brian lead her by the hand like a small child through the airport to a private gate where her family’s private jet was waiting for the two of them. Once on the plane, she took a seat in one of the six large seats by the window, Brian gave her some space and sat in the seat across from her.

As soon as the jet was in the air, and the seatbelt light off, Ashlyn hurried back to the bathroom. Brian heard her sniffling back there for the better part of thirty minutes. He just wished there was something he could do to make her feel better. He hated seeing anyone hurting. Ashlyn finally walked out of the bathroom, sat back in her seat, pulled on her sunglasses and reclined her seat back to fall asleep. Brian just let her go, listening to his own ipod.

The jet landed in LA hours later, Ashlyn had slept most of the time, half way through the flight, she woke up and pulled out a book. They got off the plane and picked up the Mercedes that Trent had waiting for her to drive. Brian drove, Ashlyn just leaned against the passenger side window, looking out the window. She hadn’t said a peep since they left Miami and to be truthful, Brian was a little worried. They reached the apartment and Brian unpacked things as Ashlyn worked on ordering food.