One of Us Is Going Down

The Sleeping Beauty

Brian pulled in at around one in the morning, he was careful to open and close the door as quietly as possible, not wanting to wake Ashlyn, knowing she had already gone to bed. There was a glow coming from the living room, the glow of the tv. He walked into the living room to see Ashlyn asleep on the sofa in some rather small shorts. He grinned, he wasn’t able to help it, after all he was a man, and she was pretty.

The plates on the coffee table caught his eye, sweet and sour chicken, fried rice, clear soup and teriyaki chicken and broccoli. He couldn’t help but grin, guessing that both China and Japan would probably be offended by her mixing foods from both countries for dinner. He wondered if he should move her back to her room to sleep more comfortably. Finally Brian decided to carry her to bed. He went into her room and pulled back the covers on her bed, and pushed the pillows down, then he walked back into the living room. He leaned down and picked her up. She moaned softly in her sleep and laid her head on his chest. She was so warm, and she smelled nice. How did girls always smell nice? Her hair brushed his arm, it felt like silk, he had a feeling most girls would be envious.

Brian laid her down in the bed and stepped back a moment after he pulled the blankets around her waist. She groaned and rolled over in her sleep, yanking the blanket up further. He laughed softly, she liked the blanket fisted and yanked up to her chin. He realized that she really was pretty, very pretty. She had a shapely body that a few models would be envious of; her skin was soft, as was her long dark hair. If you looked closely, she had freckles on her cheeks, the sun brought these out even more, and her eyes; to call them anything other than ‘green’ would be an insult. Brian went back to his room and to bed.

“If you look closely, you can see the difference between the cotton, and the cotton blend. The cotton won’t-”

The professor droned on and on about the blends of fabric. Ashlyn didn’t see why she had to take this damn class, she knew all of this already, sure it made the tests easy, but seriously, it sure as hell wasn’t challenging her brain. She kept checking the clock on the wall, time moved so impossibly slow when the lessons were boring. Brian sat to her side, looking bored out of his skull. She would have to bake his favorite dessert tonight, in thanks of making it through this class with her.

Finally the professor stopped for the day. The mass exodus for the door looked like a swarm of fire ants when a hill was kicked over. Ashlyn walked towards her next class, feeling dead tired and bored, all she wanted was a nap. Instead, she went to her English class. She waited outside the door for the class before hers to let out. She sat beside Brian in the hallway with her eyes closed, so tired. The class let out and she stood, then looked down at Brian.

“Sitting out here today?” She asked.

“Yeah, I don’t know if I can take another droning professor today,” he said sheepishly.

“You and me both, buddy,” she sighed and walked into the English class and took her normal seat.

Ashlyn pulled out her notebook and began doodling on the side of the page, trying to keep herself awake.

“Hey.”

She looked up to see a sandy blonde haired guy looking at her and grinning. He had said something to her the first day of class, but that had been as far as their communication went. Once she was sure he was really talking to her, and not someone else just behind her, she said a simple ‘hi’ back.

“I’m Josh,” he smiled.

“Ashlyn,” she went back to doodling on her paper.

“You seem really familiar, are you from around here?” Josh asked.

“No, I just moved here from Miami,” she smiled politely.

They talked a few more moments before class began. Kristina, a beautiful girl in Ashlyn’s class took her seat in front of Ashlyn, she turned around to say hello. They had talked each day in class since the beginning. Ashlyn had been afraid that since she was so pretty, she would be stuck up, but she proved to be the opposite, much to Ashlyn’s delight.