Vampire Academy

Scar Tissue

Mikey’s P.O.V.

Gerard’s homicidal image was seared into the backs of my eyelids. “Stop closing your eyes…” I whispered angrily to myself a countless amount of times, when saying it inside of my head just wasn’t enough. Eventually that stopped working too, so I started pinching the front of my wrist to keep myself awake. When I had dug a nice, bloody hole into my wrist I realized that I needed to do something. I tossed the covers off of me and looked at the clock. 5:35. Just enough time to go for a jog.

I threw on a grey beanie and some running shoes. Grabbing my thick, horn-rimmed glasses, I headed out the bedroom door as quietly as possible for the second time that night.

It was pitch black and raining like crazy; though there was no surprise there. Bolts of lighting ripped though the sky occasionally, followed by the ever present sound of thunder. Even though it had been raining for what seemed like my entire life, I didn’t mind it so much that night. Feeling the rain hit and slide down my skin was a good feeling compared to the sensation of spider venom eating holes through my body. It also felt so real, so invigorating. I was beginning to understand why Gerard liked the rain so much; well...a little.

I began to jog, the wind whipped around me, making me deaf and sending water into my eyes. The only light I had was that of the street lamps that lined the sidewalks, and of course the lightning.

I was passing streetlight after streetlight after streetlight. I had no idea what part of the neighborhood I was in, or if I was even in my own neighborhood anymore. Despite the storm there was an eerie calm over the area. There were no cars, no early risers, no nothing. I mean, I knew it was almost six in the morning, but you’d think there would have at least been some cars around. Apparently not.

I decided to stop and rest after jogging for twenty minutes straight. Trying to catch my breath, I leaned against a lamppost and rubbed my legs. I tilted my head back and closed my eyes, careful not to drown myself, and tried to get my heart-beat back down so I could continue on. Big mistake. There it was, Gerard’s thin, pale stature, licking his lips and ready to kill. My eyes popped open as I cursed aloud. I was so tired, so incredibly tired… And then I saw him.

Across the street there was a street lamp identical to the one I was leaning against, except for the light it gave off was pale pink instead of bright yellow. I didn’t think much of it, street lamps go out, that’s just the way it is, but that’s not what was sparking my curiosity. I squinted my eyes.

Leaning forward a bit, I could make out the silhouette of a person standing behind the streetlight, grasping on to it with the same intensity as a frightened child holds his mother’s hand. The person was facing me, I could tell. All of a sudden fear struck. Adrenaline tingled throughout my body as my mind ran rampant. This was New-Fucking-Jersey. It could be anyone. There was a reason mom didn't let us go out, even during the day. I didn’t know whether to run like hell or stay still and hope that perhaps he wouldn’t notice me. I chose the latter and didn’t move a muscle.

After a few long minutes of being stared at by this random stranger, I began to think that maybe he wasn’t there to stare at me, and that maybe he was waiting for something...

“Excuse me.” His voice, timid and barely audible over the falling rain, scared the shit out of me. I could feel the blood being pushed through my veins, raging and uncontrollable. I should reply…it would be rude not to…

“…Y-yes?”

“I’m looking for my pet…” A sigh of relief. So that’s what he was doing, he was just hoping he could see his pet somewhere in the darkness.

“W-What’s he look like?” I asked, taking a step forward, wishing that the guy would just come out of the dark so I could see him and talk to him properly.

“Uhm…I don’t know…I was hoping …I was hoping you could tell me that.” I cocked an eyebrow. Whatever relief I had felt was now completely washed away with utter bewilderment.

“C-could you be more specific?” I squinted again. Why wasn’t he showing himself?

“Uhm…I forgot.” My jaw dropped slightly as the guy slipped out from behind the street lamp. The light illuminated only his face, because the rest of his body completely melded in with the shadows around him. His eyes were nothing but big, black, liquidy slits. His hair clung to his face, wet and disheveled. But none of that mattered. He took a step forward and something shot out from either side of his back with a great woosh that could even be heard over the now roaring thunder. It wasn’t long before I realized that they were big, black wings. I gasped impulsively, but this was cut off by a cold, bony hand pressing against my mouth, and another wrapping around my waist. I kicked and bit and tried to scream but I had no such luck of getting away. The guy, which I now saw was a pale, thin-faced boy, took slow steps toward me. The way he walked…it reminded me of a combination of a Zombie and a baby who is learning it’s first steps. One knee was tilted in at an almost one-hundred and eighty degree angle, while the other was stiff and crutch-like. One he got close enough that I could really look at him, the fear I felt then destroyed all else. That pale face, that sad, sad countenance…

It was Gerard.

Gerard’s P.O.V.

“Holy mother of God!” Frank shouted after we’d been walking around for hours like mindless Zombies, running to a pair of large solid black doors that stood twenty feet tall at the end of a particularly long tunnel. Sweat was dripping down our faces and everything we were wearing clung to our bodies for dear life. Frank, Bob, Cheech, and I had had to take out shirts off about an hour back; Elliot seemed to be completely unfazed by the heat and the lack of water. The tunnels were now completely empty. It seemed that we were the only ones who hadn’t found our dorms. Until now. I grunted in relief, wiping off my dirty sweaty forehead with the back of my dirty sweaty hand. My hair was matted to my face and completely soaked. I had never wished to have short hair more than I did during those agonizing hours. There were several occasions where I seriously considered having Frank chew it all off for me, ‘cause god knows he would. After we had pulled the doors open with all our strength, we took out our sheets to figure out where to go next.

“I’m B Dorm, Room 15…how ‘bout you Gee?” Frank mumbled; even he didn’t have any energy, which was a welcome relief, and a miracle, all in its own. Of course, that was completely shattered when I read mine aloud.

“Uhh…B Dorm…Room…15.” I tried to seem happy when Frank, forgetting all about massive heat stroke, freaked out and practically attacked me.

“How cool is that?! We’re dorm buddies! That’s amazing, it’s like…” I stopped listening to him.

As it turned out Elliot was also in the dorm room next to us. Cheech was in room 6 and Bob was in room 10. There were two people to a room, which meant I had Frank all to my motherfucking self.

Lovely.

The Black Dorm was pretty amazing, we could see this even if we were tired and hungry and pissed at the world. It had an arched ceiling in which the dirt had been covered in dark blue and black stain glass. The floor was covered in black marble and the walls had been painted black. All fifteen dorms were on one side; this mean that across from every dorm there was a bathroom.

After we’d said goodbye to Cheech and Bob we headed down the dim tunnel, silent and solemn. Elliot waved goodbye to us and timidly opened the door to room 14. He was greeted with a loud snore.

Frank grabbed the silver key that hung off of the door handle and unlocked room 15. The musty smell of dust and fire and old age hit us as we walked in. There were three torches to light up lavishly decorated four by five room. The “theme” I suppose would have been blue and black, of course. There were two twin-sized beds sitting across from each other. One had black covers, a blue pillow, and blue sheets and the other had blue covers, and black pillow, and black sheets. The carpet was black, the walls were black, and anything else in the room was black.

Frank sprung forward and landed on the bed with blue covers. I dropped my stuff on the floor next to the bed with black covers, and plopped myself down to take my shoes off. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and once I’d thrown my shoes across the room in a fit of triumph, I lay down and felt my muscles immediately relax.

“Hey, Gee?”

“Mmhm?” I mumbled into the pillow, trying not to exert too much energy.

“It looks like we got a note from the head dude. It basically says everything he said in his speech at dinner, and then it tells us that we should be up by 7:00 for breakfast, in which he’ll go through some of the more important details again…” He kept going after that, but it didn’t really matter. I was sound asleep almost before he even started.