Vampire Academy

Mortality

Gerard’s P.O.V.

The car ride home was all but normal. Dad was holding the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles had turned white. Mom sat in the front, her eyes never leaving her lap. It took me a while and quite a lot of staring, until I realized that her eyes were puffy, red, and glazed over. She looked almost zombie-like, her eyes vacant and unblinking. The thought washed over me, the words filled me with an odd and sudden fear.

What the hell is wrong?

I glanced over at Mikey who, judging by the confused look on his face, was thinking the same thing I was. Our parents hadn’t come to get us early from school since around the third grade, when our dog Robin died. They felt that it would make it easier on us if they brought us home early to get used to it...to cry our hearts out and give him a good burial ceremony… and the words came rushing back.

What the hell is wrong?

We pulled up into the driveway just as the rain clouds started to build up again, like they had every day that week. Dad threw his car door open, while mom stayed in her seat for a minute before gathering herself and stepping out. I noticed there were three other cars lined up in front of our house. My heart started pounding. I had so many questions I felt like I was going to burst. Before we could open the front door it was thrown open by my Aunt Stella and my Uncle Fred. We were then smothered by hugs and kisses. My other family members came rushing out to greet us; all of which were or had been crying, as it seemed, for some time. We were rushed into the house and into the living room where everyone got re-situated on dining room chairs and our couch and even on our side-tables.

I squeezed between cousin Tony and Uncle Fred, while Mikey merely sat on the floor in front of Aunt Betty. The women, and my cousin Brandon, were crying and blowing their noses on various handkerchiefs and tissues, while the men were staring off into space, coughing every so often. Uncle Bill stood up in front of all of us and cleared his throat. The various noises immediately stopped. “This…isn’t easy…Gerard, Michael…your Grandmother passed away at about ten this morning.”

I went completely numb.

Mikey’s P.O.V.

I couldn’t really think of much to say. I really, really loved our Grandma. She had always been my favorite grandparent ever since I was little. Every Christmas, Easter, and our birthdays, she’d come bearing gifts and a great time. She’d always bring along her Liza Minnelli records and she and Gerard would sit in the living room and sing along while I sat and listened, completely content. I remember seeing a lot of musicals and movies with her too. She was the best…

And now she was gone.

I looked over at Gerard, who was staring at Uncle Bill in complete disbelief. It didn’t even look like he was breathing. He just had this almost horrified look plastered on his face. I guess I could understand, I mean, he was really, really close to her…

“Now, I want you to pull out the pieces of parchment your parents gave you.” As I reached into my jacket pocket I realized that I was shaking slightly. I fumbled around and finally managed to grab a hold of the scroll-like object. “Gerard? Get your paper out…Gerard?” I looked over at Gerard who hadn’t moved an inch. “Gerard, get out your piece of parchment.” Uncle Bill said firmly, looking Gerard directly in the eye. Without breaking the gaze between them, Gerard stuck his hand deep into his open backpack. When he pulled it out, Uncle Bill continued. “I want you two to take these scrolls into the next room,” He gestured at the guest room across the hall, “and read them. When you’re done, and have completely taken in and understood what you read, then you can come out.” I nodded and stood up, wondering exactly what was going on. Gerard didn’t move.

“Come on sweetie, I know t-this is hard…” I heard my mom say as she tried to pull Gerard up, snot-rag in one hand, when she could barely get herself off of the floor. In a fit of frustration Dad came over, grabbed Gerard’s hand, and jerked him up off of the couch with surprising force. Tears slid down Gerard’s face as he gave my dad the most pathetic look ever and then stormed off into the next room, shoving past me to get inside.

I quickly followed him in and shut the door behind us. He threw himself on the bed, grabbed a pillow and then shoved his face into it before screaming bloody murder; what would have been the ear-shattering scream of a dying animal. I watched as his body fell and rose, fell and rose with each shaky breath afterwards. Part of me began to wonder; how long had he been keeping that in?

I sat down on the bed next to him and untied the black ribbon. It fell to the floor as I pulled open the parchment and began to read.

To Michael Way,

After much consideration you have been selected to join Galladrielle’s Academy for Young Men. Starting October 1st you will be removed from your current schooling and shall begin your education at the academy. A plane will arrive at six o ‘clock in the morning at Newark Airport to fly you to Aberdeen, Scotland. From there you will be taken, by bus, and dropped off onto the school grounds. You will be given further instructions once inside the academy. Your school-books will be mailed to you on September 29th along with your schedules (siblings will have the same schedules) and dorm situations.

We can assure you here at GAYM that there is no finer school for the sort of education you are about to receive. We have the finest teachers and the newest textbooks. We have everything you will need to become a skilled, strong, brave, and loyal member of your destined clan. After all, this school has existed for over four-hundred years.

All we ask of our students to keep an open mind and an open spirit. Try new things, enjoy living. You will learn how to tolerate the people around you. You will learn how to accept each others differences and be united under one common aspect.

We welcome you with open arms, and we hope that you will do the same. The Academy is looking forward to have you as an addition to our school.

Sincerely,
Frederick Moonshadow & Lillith Charter
Headmaster & Headmistress


I was overcome by shock. My mind started racing. Hundreds and hundreds of questions, and somehow I felt that none of them would be answered.

However that shock was quickly washed away by a sudden surge of rage. They’re taking me out of my high school where I’m finally happy to move me all the way to fucking Scotland!

I looked up at Gerard, who had stopped throwing a fit and was now reading his letter, tears dripping onto the page and spreading the ink. I looked down at my own paper, hardly believing what was written there. My hands were shaking, though I wasn’t entirely sure why…

What kind of school is this? I don’t remember applying…

“What is this shit?!” I wondered aloud. Gerard didn’t answer me, but sniffled rather loudly. He was wiping his eyes on his sweater repeatedly and crying harder than ever. The letter was laying next to him and he was reading a second piece of paper. I checked under my letter, folded back the corners and everything, but I only had one piece of paper. “W-what’s that one?”

“D-Dear Gerard,” He began to read aloud, in a soft, shaky voice. “As you know I am p-probably dead by now. If not, then I’m going to be very, very upset! I know this is all going to be new to you…it’s going to be a big shock I’m sure…but I must start out by telling you that it was my d-dying wish for you and your brother to go to this school and carry on out family’s legacy as Vampires.

Please don’t be alarmed. I know you, Gerard, of all people, can handle this kind of announcement. See, our family has a long and brilliant history as Vampires, but for some reason my daughters didn’t want to carry on that history. Your Uncle Bill, however, went to GAYM and carried on our nearly dying heritage with great strength. And I believe it is you and your brother’s job to carry on the family legacy.

When you were born, Gerard, I saw so much in you. I saw a little boy with a great spark and a wonderful imagination. You were strong, brilliant, and above all, special. I knew in my heart that it was your destiny to become a Vampire, and make this family prouder than it ever could have hoped to be.

Then little Mikey was born. He…he didn’t have that same spark you did…he had it in a quiet sort of way. He had it in the way that you really had to look for… However I still sensed that he, too, should join you. It’s only right for b-b-brothers to stick together, through thick and thin.

I know t-this raises more questions than it answers, love. For example why did I die? Why did I get old? Why didn’t I tell you sooner? All of these questions will be answered soon, very soon.

I love you, my grandson, my angel. I love you and Mikey both more than anything in the world. Hopefully I am in a better place now, but please; don’t let this ruin your will to survive. My death is insignificant to your life.

I love you, and I know you’ll make me proud.” His voice trailed off until he finally finished. “Elena.”