Vampire Academy

Daydream

Mikey’s P.O.V.

Ray was doubled over on my bed, near tears he was laughing so hard. “He went where?!”

“Scotland,” I mumbled for the second time, throwing my dirty shirt against the wall and flopping down next to him, exhausted from lack of sleep. I’d only just then told Ray where Gerard was. I hadn’t really felt like talking about it much before...

“D-dude, this is great!” He said, collecting himself and leaning back against my bed post. “Now that he’s gone, you have free reign. He won’t be fucking bugging us anymore!”

Heh, yeah.” Oh, how I wished that was true. Truth be told he was all I could think about. Every time I slept I had horrifying nightmares about him. In my latest nightmare I walked into the living room shortly after the funeral ended, except it wasn’t our living room. It was an empty room with shocking red blood splattered all over the pure white walls. In the corner was the dark figure of my brother, very much dead. A thick, black, makeshift rope wrapped around his neck hung from the white and bloodied ceiling. It took me a while to realize that cut into his forehead was the phrase, “ALL YOUR FAULT.” And just as I felt the horror of this in the nightmare, I woke up literally drenched in sweat.

In another dream Gerard grew up and became a dark unyielding Vampire, but no one believed him so they hospitalized him for insanity. He spent years and years there and then, once he had them convinced he no longer “believed he was a Vampire”, they finally let him out. The day that they did he came to my apartment in New York, where I lived with some girl that was supposed to be my wife and Ray, who was a bum. As soon as Ray opened the door, Gerard opened fire, killing both him and my wife. I ran and hid in the back room, behind the bed. “Come out little brother, I just wanna taaaaaaalk,” He cooed, walking throughout the house and finally opening the creaky bedroom door. He saw me immediately and pulled out a rope and a bandana. I tried to fight him but he took me town. He tied me up and gagged me with the bandana. Just when I thought it wouldn’t get any worse, he pressed his lips to my neck and bit down hard with his sharp white fangs. Blood was pouring out of my neck and into his mouth. I knew nothing but blinding pain for the rest of the dream. Somehow, I survived that so he took me out and threw me in the river behind our house. As I floated downstream, about to drown, I saw the faces of hundreds of pale faced, black clad little girls as they lined up to watch me die.

“You gonna eat that?” Ray asked loudly, snapping me out of my horrid thoughts. I blinked and shook my head.

“Huh? Oh, no, no.” I mumbled. Ray leaned over me and grabbed my half-eaten cheeseburger. He scarfed it down in an astonishing amount of time, while I laid in a daze, quite the opposite of hungry.

“What’s up with you man?” Ray asked through a mouthful of cheeseburger. I gathered up the strength to cock an eyebrow at him. “You’ve been acting like this all week!” A week…had it really been only a week since Gerard left?

It felt like much, much longer.

Gerard’s P.O.V.

By the end of the plane ride I was completely ready to shoot myself, or stab everyone around me, especially the Frank kid. I mean, he was nice and all…but fuck. He just…he just didn’t stop talking. In fact after about thirty minutes I learned that I didn’t even have to answer him when he spoke to me, rather, near me. He would just ask a question or comment on something and then he’d be off on the next sentence, not skipping a beat. There was even one point where he was talking to Bobby who you could tell was either really asleep or trying to escape Frank’s wrath by pretending to be. I almost felt bad for the flight attendant who had been giving out peanuts at the beginning of the flight. Frank was bugging her so much for more peanuts every hour or so that she just stopped coming anywhere near the back of the plane.

There was a bright side to Frank though; he was distracting. As much as I wanted him to stop talking, I did find him rather amusing. He would point out things that no one else would ever see or ever even care about. It helped keep my mind off of my family, and most importantly my brother. Annoying as it was, I sort of enjoyed it.

Instead of taking us to the airport and then having cars come to drive us to the Academy, they decided to just fly us right to the school grounds. I suppose that was because of the bad weather…but then again, you think it’d be safer for them to just land at the airport, or circle around until the weather cleared. I wasn’t complaining though, I actually was excited as hell to get to the school. It was a fresh start, a new beginning; it was the rest of my life.

“Here we go!” Frank shouted as he grabbed his stuff from the compartment above our seats and kicked Bobby to wake him up. Cheech rolled his eyes and dashed to the front of the plane as fast as he could to get away from his little brother. I decided to wait for the rest of the plane to empty out before I got up and got my stuff. There apparently weren’t any stairs, so everyone was forced to just jump out about ten feet off of the ground. Slowly but surely everyone emptied out onto the field below.

After a few minutes I noticed that Frank was just standing there at the front of the plane, long after Bobby had gotten his stuff and was onto the field. He was facing the back of the plane, tapping his foot, and bobbing his head from side to side. I cocked an eyebrow and then slowly realized what he was waiting for. Me. I got up slowly and got my stuff. As soon as I did, he shouted, “Come on, Gerard!” and jumped out of the plane. I shuffled to the front, struggling with my stuff a little, and jumped out, nearly breaking by leg in the process. Painstakingly, I finally got up and over to where Frank was standing, fidgeting around, in the giant empty field.

I looked around and saw nothing but grass, hills, and vast mountains as far as the eye could see. There wasn’t a school in sight. “What the hell?” The red-haired boy that got pissed at Cheech mumbled. Frank and I turned to look at a man, clad in billowing black and gold robes, that was standing in front of everyone. He pushed a strand of black hair behind his ear and surveyed all of the boys with glittering golden eyes. Next to him was a woman with short, choppy, jet-black hair and eyes the same honey-like color as the man’s. She wore the same robes as he did, but hers were solid black.

A loud roar filled our ears as a second plane came flying into view. After six long minutes the plane landed safely directly across the field from us. Several more minutes after its arrival the door of the plane opened and about sixty more boys came flying out. One, to our amusement, even broke his ankle.

The golden-eyed man surveyed the boys with the same intensity as he had us. Soon everyone was on our side of the field in one giant, one hundred and twenty boy line. “Well,” The man’s voice rang deep and clear in my ears. It was a voice like no other, yet it was the most common voice in the world. He looked back thoughtfully at a small, red-faced, blonde-haired boy who had previously been scared to death to jump out of the plane. As soon as the boy jumped in line next to me, the man continued. “Welcome to Galladrielle’s Academy for Young Men!” I winced as his voice boomed, echoing throughout the mountains that surrounded us. All of us looked around in confusion. His arms were spread out as to suggest there was something to see. When I first heard of GAYM, and the way my uncle talked about it, I assumed it to be some sort of brilliantly large and magnificent castle. “Now, if you would all follow Lillith and me, we will be able to get more acquainted.” The man and the woman, Lillith, walked over to the exact center of the field. I watched in awe as the man leaned down and jammed his filthy long nails into the soft earth. He clenched his fist and pulled up and with that a huge 4 by 4 chunk of ground came loose and swung back; like a door. Without hesitation he walked into the hole; I was assuming there were stairs. Lillith followed close behind, and then the rest of the kids, puzzled as they were, came following after.