You Call it Misery, I'll Call it Love

From Pure Hell to Pure Happiness

“The bottom line is, Mary Kate Atwood has been put through a living hell by her own parents. What other way to describe her life is there? She was beaten repeatedly, mentally abused, emotionally abused and not mention, sexually abused, all by her own father, Ron Atwood. I can think of no other description that accurately describes her life. For her, the victim of this horrible crime or neglect and abuse, I beg you to consider sentencing her father to life in prison without the possibility of parole. I beg you to consider sentencing her mother to life without the possibility of parole and I beg you again to consider sentencing her sister to life without the possibility of parole. All three defendants have committed horrible crimes. They have all abused Mary Kate in their own individual way. Whether it be abusing one’s own daughter, raping her for his own sexual pleasure or simply ignoring the abuse and allowing it to continue further and further without doing something to stop it. Without a doubt her life has always been a living hell, I hope each and every one of you sees that,” my lawyer argues.

Today is the final day of the trial, the day when closing arguments have been read. By far, the best closing argument came from my lawyer. The defense’s argument argues for the sake of my parents and sister.

“All three clients have admitted that they have committed horrible crimes. They know they won’t get out of this without paying a severe punishment. They are willing to serve the punishment that comes along with their decisions that have brought them here today. But, I ask you to keep in mind that these two women haven’t in anyway shape or form physically abused their sister or daughter. They have only ignored the fact that she was abused, which isn’t necessarily abuse. With this said, they shouldn’t be put behind bars for the rest of their lives without the possibility of parole, but only ten years. The man who committed the whole string of physical and sexual abuse should be and will be serving out his full punishment. That is all that will be said from the defense.”

The jury is then brought back into the jury’s room, where they will spend however long reviewing the evidence, testimonies and other arguments in order to determine whether or not my family is guilty or not. This is the part that worries me. This part of the trial could go on for hours, even days. I just want this to be over with. I want to move on with my life and forget all about this.

Just a half an hour later, they jury returns. I’m surprised. I had previously thought that they would be gone for much longer. Every member of the jury looks satisfied with their decision, they fill in and take their seats on the side panel of the courtroom. The last one in hands a slip of paper to the judge, who reviews it carefully. He then leans forward in his seat and reads the statement.

“We the jury find the defendant, Ron Atwood, guilty of all charges. We the jury find the defendant, Susan Atwood, guilty of all charges. We the jury find the defendant, Jessica Delahany guilty of all charges. Sentencing hearing is set for August 1. Court is dismissed,” the judge reads.

I sigh heavily and lean back in my seat. I’m relieved. I look at my parents and my sister, all three are shocked, scared of what will happen next. They don’t bother to look at me. I don’t care. I could go a lifetime without looking at them again. After everyone files out of the courtroom, my lawyer and I walk out into the open air. The press is surrounding us. My lawyer keeps shouting, “No comment!” as loud as he possibly can until he safely leads me into the waiting SUV.

We drive away quickly to Tess’s house. The press lines the streets on the main street of my little town. They all want a piece of me, a piece of my life story. For as long as I live, I will never give an interview of what happened. I know for a fact that nothing will be leaked because in family courts, all documents are sealed, or at least that’s the case where I live.

When we arrive at the house, things have quieted down. No one followed us. Tess appears at the door and Darren walks out immediately to the car. He runs to my side of the car and opens the door when it stops. I smile up at him and he smiles down at me. He takes my hand and I jump down from my seat. Immediately as my feet hits the ground, I wrap my arms around his neck and hold on tight. I vow to never let go.

I hear my lawyer tell Tess that everyone plead guilty and that it’s over. I smile and let the tears of happiness flow from my eyes. This chapter of my life is officially over. There is nothing more I feel than pure happiness and pure relief. I can move on. I can be with my love. That’s all I’ve ever wanted, at least for now.