‹ Prequel: All I Ever Wanted
Status: Finished

11:11

6

“Mom, really, I’m fine now.”

“But Alex, are you sure? I could come over; you’re just a few minutes-”

“No. Really. It’s 6:30 in the morning, why don’t you just go to bed? Because that’s what I’m going to do.”

“Okay sweetie… What time did you get off the plane?”

“An hour ago. Listen Ma, Jack wants to use the phone. I’ll talk to you later or something.”

“Feel better, Alex. Bye.”

I feel bad about being so short with my mom, but seriously, all I want to do is sleep.

“Alex, you have to take your meds!”

I sigh at Jack’s obnoxious shouting and the fact that the stupid New York doctor put me on anti-depressants. He claims it will help with the panic attacks, but I still don’t understand how.

Jack appears in the doorway of the kitchen and points to the phone I’m holding. “Are you off that?” he asks. “I have to call my mommy.”

“Yes, I’m done. By the way, have you seen my cell phone?”

“Nah, sorry man. Here,” He holds out his hand and sitting in his palm are two tiny white pills. He offers me a glass of water and seriously, why does my life have to be so fucked?

Zack walks into the room, my cell phone in one hand. When he sees me he freezes. “I thought you were asleep…”

“No… we just got home, how could I be asleep already?”

“I don’t know… fuck.”

“What did you do and why do you have my cell phone?” I demand, starting to sit up. Jack notices my movement and pushes me back into the chair. “Zack, what the fuck did you do?”

“Alexis called, okay?”

“What?! And you didn’t tell me?! Did you answer? What did she say?”

Zack glances at Jack during my 500 questions and Jack just shrugs.

“Well, since I thought you were asleep, I told her that. And she wanted to know if you were okay, because I guess she read it in the paper, and I told her yes.”

“You sound guilty. What else did you say, asshole?”

“Well, technically I guess I said ‘he’s fine no thanks to you’…”

“What the fuck, Zack?! Now she’s not calling me again!”

“Yeah, I don’t think so… I told her that maybe she should try something better than just a phone call. Then I hung up.”

I’m seriously beyond pissed off. How can he just get involved in my love life like that?

“Why did you do that?!”

“Because you deserve better!”

It hits me hard. I guess he was only trying to help me out…But honestly, now Alexis is never going to call again!

“Fine,” I say, still slightly pissed. “I’m going upstairs to sleep…”

“I’m sorry, Alex,” Zack says as I walk past him. I just nod and continue on my way to the steps.

**

When I wake up at 2:30 in the afternoon, I feel ten times better. Then I remember what Zack said to Alexis and I feel like shit again. How am I supposed to win her back if he goes and tells her shit like that? He probably put me behind Ryder now. That’s not even funny to think about.

“Hey, did you tell your mom about the record deal? My mom said she talked to her and had no clue.”

I look up and see Jack standing in my room. Doesn’t anybody knock anymore?

“I forgot to tell her… I guess I should call her.”

“She knows now… She told my mom to tell me to tell you to call her whenever. She knows you’re probably tired.” He sits down on my bed and looks at me. “I can’t believe they signed us after the shit you pulled.”

“I didn’t pull anything! I had a panic attack and almost hit my head! I would think that’s excusable!”

“Well, you’re lucky all he did was make regular doctors visits mandatory… I don’t understand why you never got checked out before this morning.”

“I did get checked out. When I was like, 10. They couldn’t do anything back then.”

“Well, at least they’ve got you on something.”

“Yeah, anti-depressants. Awesome.”

“Alex, it’s cool. It doesn’t mean anything. You’re just-”

“I don’t want to talk about it, alright?”

Jack nods and stands up from my bed. “If you do want to talk about it, I’m always here.”

“Thanks…”

After he’s gone, I feel even worse. He’s just being a friend… my best friend.

**

At 4:05, Zack informs us that there’s a strange car stalking our house.

“Who is it?” Jack whispers, crouching down behind the front window. Rian shuts the lights off and we all join Jack to peer out the window. Once I get a decent view of the car, I smack the back of Zack’s head.

“That’s Alexis’ brother Max, you dipshit.”

“How am I supposed to know that? And why is he driving past our house like 10 times?”

“I don’t know, but I’m going outside,”

“Wait no!” Jack exclaims, pulling me back down to the floor. “He’s getting out of the car!”

I look back out and see Max (as I suspected), Jake and Steven walking up the walkway. Why do all three of them feel the need to visit me? Maybe they’re here to like, kill me for what’s happening with Alexis…

“Three of them! And Max looks like he’s in the Italian mob! Maybe you should run?” Jack suggests in a hushed voice, seeing as the front door is only a few feet away. When there’s a loud knock, Zack pushes me toward the couch.

“Hide behind it!” He hisses, and I just look at him. “Seriously! I will deal with this!”

I shrug and move towards the back of our couch. Rian joins me seconds later, and I can’t help but burst out in laughter. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever done in my life. And I have done a lot of ridiculous things. Rian slaps his hand over my mouth, but I notice that even he’s working to contain his laughter. Right before Zack whispers that he’s going to open the door, Jack appears next to me.

“Steven is scary,” he admits, and me and Rian are about to explode if we have to keep quiet for much longer.

I hear the door open. “Hi…” Zack says in a friendly voice.

“Is Alex here? I really need to talk to him,” Max says to him.

“Uh… why?”

“It’s about Alexis. Seriously, I really gotta ask him something.”

“Just let us in.”

That voice belongs to Steven and I feel Jack shrink back beside me. He can’t seriously be afraid of him, can he? Steven’s nice.

I hear the three of them enter the living room, and I guess they must have pushed past Zack to get in.

“Can you go get Alex? This is serious.”

“Um… yeah I can go and get him…”

Someone, I’m guessing Zack, approaches the couch. This is really awkward.

“Alex? There is someone here for you…” Zack says. “He’s um… playing hide and seek with Jack.”

Hide and seek?! Hide and seek with Jack?!

I stand up slowly, but not without Jack trying to drag me back down. “Hi…” I say when I see Max, Steven and Jake. They look freaked out.

“Uh… hey Alex,” Jake greets and waves a bit. Max and Steven just stare at me with a blank look on their faces.
Finally, after a few awkward seconds, Max decides to talk to me. “So, Alexis called me at 7 this morning and-”

“It was all Zack’s fault!” I spit out without even waiting for him to finish. There is no way that he’s going to beat me up for what Zack did!

“What are you talking about?”

Instead of an angry glare, I get a confused look.

“Um… maybe you should finish what you were going to say…” I suggest and he just narrows his eyes.

“Okay… As I was saying, she called me to tell me that she’s coming home.”

“Coming…home?”

Saying out loud seems strange; as if that was the last thing I would ever expect him to say. And the sad part is that I expected everything but that.

“Yeah. Her flight is at 4:30.”

I nod, the information slowly sinking in. Alexis is coming home. Her flight is at 4:30. Alexis is leaving New York at 4:30 to come home… to see me?

“Why is she…?”

“Well, my guess would be to see you… I know she doesn’t miss me enough to come visit me in the middle of the week.”

A smile breaks out on my face, against my will. She’s coming back…But wait- she’s coming back to do one of two things, I’m sure – make up with me or break up with me.

“So why did you have to come here to tell me this?” I ask, curious.

“I don’t have your number and I’m not about to ask Alexis for it. What I’m really here to ask of you is if you’ll pick her up from the airport.”

“Wait, what? Why me?”

“She thinks that Steven is picking her up,” Max says, motioning towards his brother. “But I was thinking that maybe you could do it instead.”

“Oh…” I say, trailing off. What if it’s not me that she’s coming to see? What if my presence makes her mad?

“Trust me, Alex. She wants to see you,” Steven says, putting a hand on my shoulder. I wish Jack could see this, because ‘Oh my God, Steven is going to crush me’!

“So you be at the airport at 6. She said the plane lands at 6:30. Be early just in case.”

I think I nod in understanding, but I’m not sure. Everything’s going so… fast for me to keep up with.

When the three of them are gone, Jack hops up from behind the couch. “Oh my God! That was so awkward!”
♠ ♠ ♠
(: hope you like it. Updates will be much slower compared to how fast i had been updating... Sorry, but i just started work and i don't have that much free time anymore. ):