Sequel: Just To Be With You

You Always Go And Rescue Me

Ch.1

Ch. 1

I was sitting alone in my tenth story Park Avenue apartment looking out the window at all the crazy fuss the city has to offer. Among all the hectic schedules of New Yorkers, this gave me solitude; it gave me a breather.

Let me give you a little background. My name’s Sarah, I grew up in New Jersey and graduated with a degree in journalism. Considering I lived so close to Manhattan, it provided the opportunity to intern at a local network that covered the local sports teams. I’d wanted to be involved in sports since I was four and realized I could never be a professional quarterback in the NFL. Interning eventually provided job opportunities for me and while still in school, I landed a job with MSG. I wasn’t a Rangers fan-not even a little bit- but in a twist of irony, I ended up covering them most of the time. It certainly was God’s way of teaching me humility considering I had to bite my tongue and bury my biasness and loathing of that team.

I had a great job, I’d been working with MSG for about a year, and I got paid well- hence the Park Avenue apartment. I accomplished everything I’d been dreaming of. I was 22 and on my own. I lived in the most amazing city in the world, and had the perfect apartment for me, but I was alone. It didn’t bother me most of the time because most of the time I didn’t have time to think about it- but it was days like this, days where I’d have the time to sit home with my feet up gazing out the window, that my mind would run wild.

I was 18 the first, and only, time I fell in love. We met through mutual friends. His name was Nick. He was three years older than I was and majoring in business. We dated for two years and I thought everything about him was wonderful. We spent most of our time together, he was always there for me and even though I was young I was in way over my head. Until, however, I found out everything about him was a lie. We weren’t sleeping together- I wasn’t ready and I wanted to wait until marriage, it would make it so much more special, but apparently he wasn’t as patient as I was.

I came home to surprise him. I was going to make him dinner and I hadn’t seen him for a week. When I walked into his apartment he wasn’t there. I found it a little strange. I’d been a little suspicious of one of his colleagues, but I trusted him so I didn’t think anything of it. When I wandered into the bedroom I found him- with her. They were having sex, in the sheets I helped him pick out. I gasped in horror as he looked at me. He screamed in shock as I turned my back to them and left.

I didn’t think I would cry as much as I did, and I didn’t think the tears would ever stop. He tried to explain to me, but there was nothing to say. I never answered his phone calls or responded to his texts. What could he possibly explain? I caught him in the most compromising position and that said it all. I’d never felt so betrayed in all my life-especially after finding out he’d been involved with her for well over a year.

I didn’t really date much after the mess with Nick. I didn’t date at all actually. After we broke up, I threw myself into school and work and that’s what got me where I was now.

I had stopped for Starbucks on the way home from the subway. I had an early morning meeting, which revealed some interesting information to me. Apparently, I was working with an affiliate network, which we owned, and tonight I would be covering the New Jersey Devils. Actually, my boss told me depending on how everything went I would probably be covering them frequently. That, for me, was a catch-22. The Devils were my team, born and raised, but it was a pain in the ass to take the train. I knew I wouldn’t be getting home until late, and I hated finding my way home so late at night- alone.

I sat on my couch with my feet resting on the glass coffee table in front of me. Still in the black pencil skirt I put on for my meeting, and my ice latte in my hand. The sun was shining, and it made my blonde hair seem even blonder when it reflected off it. I couldn’t believe I had to go to Newark tonight. As embarrassing as it was to admit, I would probably be a little star-struck.

I didn’t really get to know the Ranger players. I was friendly with some more-so than others and I had gotten to know a few as friends, but I didn’t really invest any of myself into developing friendships. I dreaded talking to some. They were arrogant and disrespectful and I couldn’t stand being around them. Case and point: Sean Avery.

He didn’t revere the boundaries that were professionally set. He constantly asked me out, and because he wasn’t used to getting rejected, he viewed me as his biggest challenge to date. He was vulgar and as polite as I was, I stood up to him, which he didn’t like. He hadn’t eased up in over a year, and being in his presence made me extremely uncomfortable. He looked at me like I was his prey. His eyes had a fury in them when he saw me, his gaze followed me when we were in the same room and I always felt his glare on my back. There had been more than one occasion where he inappropriately touched or grabbed me in ways that made me afraid he wasn’t going to let go. I learned quickly to avoid him-especially when leaving the arena. I never put myself in a position to be alone with him.

I was still sitting in my window, drinking my Starbucks and realized who the Devils were playing tonight. The Rangers. Yet another night in which I would have to avoid the douche, and then come home to an empty apartment with no one who would care if I made it home alright.

_________________

The game was a nail-biter, as most Devil-Ranger games were. The Devils were victorious though, winning 4-2. I used my press pass to enter the Devils locker room after the ten minute cooling off period. It was so different than the Rangers. It was more relaxed and so new to me. I felt so insignificant walking around there, it was so nice to be next to the players I secretly rooted for every night, but being as I didn’t know anyone I was looking forward to just going home.

Once in the room, I breathed a sigh of relief as I finally laid my eyes upon a familiar face. His name was Bill, he was an older gentleman and we met when I interned. He was a sweetheart and I always enjoyed talking to him. He made me feel comfortable in a sea full of strangers. I went over and said hi to him, having not seen him in a while. He was just as happy to see me as I was to see him and we chatted-very briefly- about the game. He made a joke about how I ended up covering the Rangers, knowing how big a Devils fan I was, and I couldn’t help but laugh.

It was at that moment I felt a pair of eyes on me. I knew it couldn’t possibly be Sean because he was in the visitor’s room. I could see through my peripheral vision that it was a player and I quickly turned my head to see who it was.

It was then that I locked eyes with Zach Parise. He was definitely good looking- more attractive in real life than on tv, and I was immediately hypnotized by him. His hair was wet and his white t-shirt hugged him in all the right places. I blinked in disbelief- I couldn’t believe he was looking at me. My motor skills had failed me. We probably remained in an eye-lock for about a minute, which I didn’t even realize until I heard Bill calling my name. I snapped out of it, turning my attention back to Bill, and after a few minutes we said our goodbyes.

It was getting late and I went to get ready to leave. I didn’t want to be there later than I had to because I still had to walk to the train station to get back to the city. Some of the players were heading out with their wives or girlfriends as others went to get a few drinks. I walked down a corridor by myself and made my way outside. At that moment a strong force grabbed my arm and spun me around. Before I could even register what was happening I felt my body getting pressed against the cold wall of the arena, hard. I was in a state of panic as I realized Sean Avery was glaring into my eyes. He had both his arms pressed against the wall with me wedged tightly in between.

“So you followed me all the way to Newark, huh gorgeous?” He said with a snarl in his voice.

“No Sean. I’m here doing my job. What the hell are you doing?” I was afraid, I knew he was in rare form tonight and I was alone.

“I saw you walking in the hall and I took it upon myself to say hello. Couldn’t even come over and say hi?”

“I was busy doing my job, you’re not exactly high on my priority list.”

“I’m glad I saw you.” His tone changed. “I’ve had about enough of you turning me down. This little game you’re playing with me is driving me over the edge.”

“Well I don’t really know what to tell you because I’m not playing any games with you. The only game I’m focused on is on the ice. Just let me go, I’m going home.”

“Like hell you are. You’re coming with me. And you aren’t going home til you’re screaming my name.”

I could feel the knot in my stomach growing. I didn’t know what to do. “Screw you, Sean. You’re a friggin joke, just let me leave.” And with that I pushed down one of his arms and started walking away.

I didn’t get very far. I felt his death grip on my arm yet again as he spun me around, I briefly contemplated whether or not he broke it but this time there was no playing around. I felt a sharp sting as he slapped me across the face.

“If you’d stop-“

He didn’t get another word out. Out of nowhere another figure showed up. He shoved Sean, hard, away from me and both men were on the ground. I was pushed back by the force and the surprise of it all and ended up on the ground holding my cheek. My mysterious rescuer got a few good punches in on Sean who was trying to recover from the unexpected attack.

As both men stood up I realized that my knight in shining armor was none other than the man I was captivated with earlier in the evening, Zach Parise.
♠ ♠ ♠
oh....so i just decided to write this for fun, and to just keep writing...i posted it on quizilla....so why not here.