Sequel: Just To Be With You

You Always Go And Rescue Me

ch. 12

NOTE: I just want to clarify that Zach and Sarah didn't have sex in the last chapter-they did other things, but not sex =P. Believe me, when they do, you'll know. :)

---------------------------------------------------

Ch. 12

It was nice to be home. As much as I loved spending Christmas with Zach’s family it was time to get back to reality.

New York was cold, not as cold as Minnesota in December, but cold nonetheless. Since Zach had a team meeting and a light practice scheduled for not too long after we got home, I slipped on his Devil’s hoodie, made myself some tea, and curled up on the couch to watch a movie.

Sometime between daydreaming about what Zach and I had talked about last night and realizing I had a deadline coming up, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Zach.

Hey sweetie, a bunch of the guys are going out tonight and they want to see you, feel up to coming?

I really wasn’t in the mood to go out and go crazy but I hadn’t seen any of the guys for a while and I knew Zach wanted to catch up with them so I didn’t see the harm in us going for a bit. It wasn’t like the place was that far anyway.

Yeah, I’ll meet you there. What time?

How about ten?

Okay, I’ll be there. I love you

I love you too.

I peeled myself up off the comfortable state I was in on the couch and went in my room to pick out an outfit. I didn’t have to leave right away, but I needed to start getting ready.

We were meeting at this bar towards mid-town. The guys didn’t want to stay in Jersey that night and since I lived in Manhattan it wasn’t that much of an inconvenience for anyone. Zach would probably end up staying the night, and I knew he was tired from lack of sleep and lots of traveling, so I didn’t expect to be out too late-especially since he had a game tomorrow night.

When I got there, I got a text from Zach saying that they’d probably be about twenty minutes late. Great. I was at a bar, by myself. I never went to bars. Hell, I barely drank, and I didn’t like being there alone. I decided to take a seat at the bar and wait it out there, hopefully obsolete. I got a water just to keep my mouth occupied until the guys arrived but about five minutes after I was told I would be on my own for a little bit, a familiar face walked into the bar.

I hadn’t seen Marc in a long time. He was the only Ranger I could even tolerate being friendly with. He had asked me out- which I’d sure he never told Zach- but I never went out with him. Our friendship made it to a level where I was open enough with him to tell him about my past, but with the stress of the season, and my adjusting to working with the Devils, my communication with Marc fizzled. Then I met Zach and I never really thought about getting in touch with him. It happens though.

When he saw me his face lit up. He came over to where I was sitting and gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek. “God, Sarah, I haven’t seen you in forever. How have you been?”

It was nice to talk to see him after so long. Our extended hug dissolved and we pulled away from each other, but he never fully pulled away from me. He kept his hands on my waist and I didn’t really even notice. I knew it wasn’t anything to make a big fuss over, besides, that’s just how he was.

“I’ve been great, Marc. Keeping really busy. What’s going on with you…off the ice?” I joked, he knew that I was perfectly aware of what was going on with him and the team.

“Same old,” his facial expression turned to mild confusion, “why are you here by yourself?” He knew it was unlike me to be anywhere like this, especially without anyone at my side. “By the way, what’s the deal with you and Parise? Is it for real?”

I smiled at him and I felt my cheeks turn red. I knew that he knew about us, though I didn’t know exactly how much he knew. From what I understood, Zach had talked to him not too long after we started dating or got serious, same difference though, we were pretty much serious right off the bat.

“Yeah, me and Zach are great. We’ve been together for a little while now. We just got back from visiting his family for Christmas,” when I told him that, he gave me a surprised look. I just nodded my head, “I know, right!”

“Yeah,” he said, still in shock.

“He gave me this beautiful necklace,” I said as I lifted my head to accentuate the wonderful present that Zach had given me.

“Wow, that is nice.”

“I’m actually waiting for him and the guys now. He was supposed to get here with them at ten, but when I got here he told me they’d be late, which is why I’m here- uncomfortably- by myself,” I light-heartedly told him.

I noticed a slight drop in his facial expression when I told him that Zach and I were indeed together, but he had never treated me like a puck bunny…he had no reason to. Let’s put it this way, he might have had some type of feelings for me, whether he was just attracted to me or whatever, but he never acted the way Sean did.

“Unbelievable,” his voice slightly raised in shock. “What made you say yes to him after the landslide of guys that you said no to, including myself? I know he saved you from Sean and everything, but that doesn’t mean you owe him.”

I tilted my head and gave him a charming smile. “Well, I don’t really know Marc. Everything happened with Sean and that’s where we met…I guess I just fell hard for him…he made it real easy. It was just so different,” I gushed.

“Well, that’s great Sar. I’m happy for you. You probably are aware that I talked to him, I couldn’t believe it when he told me, but he seemed to genuinely care about you.”

I gave him a sympathetic smile. “Yeah Marc, he’s really great. I love him, I really do.”

“So, has he changed your preconceived notion that all hockey players sleep around and cheat on their girls?” He playfully asked.

I laughed, “Well, I guess not all of you are like that, “ I responded.

“That’s what I tried to tell you,” he smirked. “Listen, I’m really happy for you two. I actually like Parise, he’s a nice dude, but if he ever screws up I just want you to know that I’m still here for you.”

When he said that, I knew he really meant it. I tilted my head and gave him that same sympathetic smile as I placed my hand on his cheek. “I know, Marc. But he loves me.”

“How could he not,” he looked me in the eyes, “but if he ever hurts you…”

Marc was such a nice guy, he was sweet and he always treated me with respect. I know I had repeatedly said that I wasn’t very friendly with many of the Rangers, but I suppose I’d have to make him the exception.

“Hey Marc.” We both heard a familiar voice.

Marc and I both whipped our heads around. Zach was walking over and he didn’t look too comfortable with the way Marc and I were interacting.

Startled, Marc quickly pulled his hands off of me and went to give Zach a friendly handshake and partial man-hug. “Sup, man. How are ya?”

“Doin good. Thanks for taking care of Sarah so she didn’t have to be all alone.” Zach was being sincere, but I knew him, and I also knew that a very deep undertone of his sentence was a little sarcastic.

“No problem, she was just telling me about your Christmas. It’s good to see ya, man.”

As much as it shouldn’t have been, this entire run-in was awkward. Zach was jealous, though he didn’t have a reason to be. I’d never cheat on him, and I didn’t have feelings like that for Marc.

“Yeah you too.”

“Well, I don’t wanna keep my friends waiting any longer,” Marc could sense the little bit of tension too. He came over and hugged me, “it was so good to see you, Sarah.”

“You too, Marc,” I smiled at him and as he made his way over to his friends.

Zach came close to me and kissed me to say hello. I was waiting for it though.

“So, what was that all about?”

“What we were just talking. You like Marc, Zach.”

“Yeah, I like Marc, but I don’t like when I walk in to see him with his hands all over you and you caressing his face. What does every freakin Ranger have a thing for you?”

I could totally see his point. He did walk in at the worst possible time. It might’ve been a harmless conversation, but I wouldn’t have liked it if the tables were turned.

“Hey, that’s a little unfair. It wasn’t like that Zach, you know you have nothing to worry about. I love you.”

“I know that babe,” he put his hands around my waist and leaned his forehead into mine, “but I don’t want any other guy- I don’t care who it is- touching you that way…”

“I’m sorry,” I kissed him lightly on the nose. “I didn’t think it was a big deal and I didn’t really even notice. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt you.”

“It’s okay. I just got struck with momentary jealousy,” he smiled at me. “I’ll say this though, I didn’t pick this up when I talked to him- and I didn’t see it coming- but the way he was looking at you…Sarah that boy has feelings for you.”

I just nodded my head and kept my mouth shut. Zach had nothing to worry about, at least on my end, but I’m sure he wouldn’t believe that if I elaborated. Marc respected Zach, and he’d never do anything, but men think their own way.

I didn’t have to speak any words though, because at that moment the rest of the guys piled up on top of us. I hadn’t seen them in a while, so I got a downpour of hugs.

“Hello beautiful!” That, of course, was David Clarkson. He wrapped me up into a big bear hug and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Hey Dave, I missed you guys!”

“Well, if Zach wasn’t busy hogging you…” he playfully nudged at Zach, “we’d all get to see you a little more.”

Zach’s mood lightened. “Sorry man,” he said with a laugh. “She’s intoxicating. And don’t blame it all on me, she keeps me pretty busy herself…”

The guys all erupted and let out a simultaneous “OHHHHHH!” My face turned bright red as Zach looked pleased with his embarrassing and teasing comment.

I jokingly slapped him on the arm and he kissed me on the forehead. “I’m sorry for freaking out, I just don’t you with anyone else,” he whispered into my ear.

I kissed him, not entirely innocent kiss, and pulled away and put my mouth to his ear. “I know baby. You don’t have to ever worry about that.”

He smiled at me and we enjoyed the rest of the night with the guys. The tension eased up and we ended up having a pretty good time. We got home close to two in the morning and went immediately to bed. The Marc conversation was over. At least for tonight.