Sequel: Just To Be With You

You Always Go And Rescue Me

ch. 13

CH. 13

We woke up the next morning and all I could think about was how badly I wanted Zach. He looked so sexy and when he was in nothing but boxers and a t-shirt, those were the moments I had the hardest time resisting him. We made breakfast together but something just seemed off. He wasn’t very talkative and he didn’t seem as affectionate as usual.

When we sat down at the counter to eat, Zach started talking.

“I know that we talked about this last night, and I’m not mad at you, I just am curious as to why you two were so close last night.” He was looking down at his eggs but I could see that he was really bothered.

“Me and Marc? Sweetie, you have nothing to be worrying about. It was an innocent conversation.” I wasn’t about to tell him that Marc kind of admitted to having feelings for me. That would have opened up an entire can of worms that I didn’t know how to deal with.

“I understand, but I’ve never seen you like that with anyone before. So why him?”

“We used to be good friends I suppose. I don’t talk to him now, I hadn’t seen him in months. You saw him more recently than I did.”

“When you found out that he knew about us…remember that fight we had? Were you upset because you thought I lied, or were you upset because it was him?” Zach was going through turmoil. He was over thinking the entire situation.

“What are you saying? You think I was upset with you because I didn’t want Marc to know? ….You think I have feelings for him?” I was in disbelief. I knew Zach was uncomfortable, but I thought he trusted me a hell of a lot more than that.

“Well I didn’t know you two were such good friends.”

“Zach, you cannot be serious. I never wanted to be with him, I never looked at him that way. C’mon babe, you know that,” I stood up, walked over to him and softly put my hand on his cheek, moving his head to look up into my eyes.

He looked at me and then suddenly pulled away. “Is that how you touched him last night?”

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Look, you have nothing to worry about…and deep down I know that you know that. I love you. I don’t know where this is all coming from, but it isn’t fair. I’ve never given you a reason not to trust me. If anything I should be the paranoid one. You’re the one always traveling.”

“And you’re the one who isn’t. You have more of a chance to see him than I do to mess up. I told you from the beginning, I’m not going to screw up. I love you.”

“So, you think that I’m fooling around with Marc when you’re on the road now?” I was really annoyed.

“No. I’m just saying it’s possible.”

I took a step back to take a breath. I was huffing and puffing and I didn’t want this to go any further than it already was.

My phone started ringing. I didn’t hear it initially until Zach pointed it out.

“Aren’t you going to answer that?” He asked sarcastically.

I went over to get it from the living room and didn’t immediately recognize the number. When I answered, I realized that I knew exactly who was on the other end, but this was just going to cause more trouble.

“Hey Sarah.” It was Marc. “Sorry to randomly call you, but I just wanted to ask you something.”

I had deleted his number a while ago. Not in a malicious way, but I didn’t keep that much in contact with him anymore, and I was with Zach so I didn’t need other guys numbers out of respect.

“Oh Marc, you are killing me right now!” Bad timing, just horribly bad timing.

“I just need to ask you a quick question,” he sounded distressed. “What did Zach mean by what he said last night? Are you sleeping with him?”

I didn’t see how this was any of Marc’s business and he totally took Zach’s teasing the wrong way.

“Marc that isn’t any of your business, but no. He was kidding around,” I said agitated.

“Okay…I just wanted to make sure you were alright.” He wanted to say more but there was no where else to take this. He definitely overstepped his boundaries and I already had a jealous boyfriend in the kitchen.

“I’m fine. This is just a bad time. I have to go.”

I hung up and walked back into the kitchen.

“Who was that?”

“No one,” I stuttered. I was a horrible liar, and I didn’t want to make him any more jealous.

“Why can’t you tell me?” He knew me better than anyone, and he could tell something was up.

“I don’t want you to get mad, love.”

“Was that Marc? Did Marc seriously just call you?”

“…Yeah.”

“What the hell! What could possibly be so important that he felt the need to call you?”

“I don’t know, he asked me a weird question.”

“Which was....?”

“He wanted to know if we were sleeping together. I told him it was none of his business.”

“What the- it’s none of his effing business-“

“I know sweetie, I told him that.”

“I don’t know why all of a sudden he’s coming out of the woodworks, but I don’t like it Sarah.”

“Zach it isn’t my fault. Stop acting like I’m some whore who’s pulling up my skirt and inviting the attention. I told him how much I love you, he knows we’re happy.”

“Don’t you get it? He likes you Sarah- he has feelings for you! If you entertain those feelings, regardless of what you say about you and I, he’ll always have hope.”

“Oh my God. I’m done with this conversation. I don’t entertain anything!” I yelled.

“I can’t talk to you right now- you’re being impossible.” He stormed out of the kitchen and went to get dressed. I would have stormed out, but it was my apartment….there really wasn’t anywhere for me to go.

He came out of the bedroom fully dressed and made his way to the door. I just watched him in shock. We barely fought and I hated when we did. When he was just about out the door he turned around and I could see in his eyes how hurt he was. “Just know that if it was the other way around, you’d be just as upset.” And with that he shook his head and closed the door behind him.