Sequel: Just To Be With You

You Always Go And Rescue Me

ch.9

Chapter 9

“Come on love! We’re going to miss our flight!” Zach was still in bed, I had already showered and was cooking him breakfast. We needed to be on the train to get to the airport for our flight that left in three hours.

Zach groaned as he peeled his face off the pillow. He was emotionally drained from last night on top of being tired from the game and stress. “I know it’s 8:30 but I feel like we barely slept,” and with that his head fell back down on the pillow.

I walked over and sat down on the bed next to him. He was in nothing but his boxers and I couldn’t help but rub my hands up and down his perfectly toned body. He noticed too and this made him respond to the fact that he needed to get out of bed. His hands traveled along the bed until they found my legs and he smiled. “I could get used to this.”

“Alright superstar. Get up. You have to shower and get ready and we still have to eat and get to the train station. We’re going to see your family, so if I show up alone I don’t think they’d appreciate that.” I leaned down and kissed him softly but quickly on the lips, padded him on the butt and got up.

“Okay, okay. I’m coming.” He slowly rolled himself out of bed and made his way to the shower. He kissed me as he went in the bathroom, “hmmm, want to join me?”

“Don’t be fresh!” I wrapped my hands around his waist and fell into him. “God, you’re so tempting.” I pulled myself out of his little spell and pushed him backwards playfully, “go, get ready!”

He gave me a devilish smile and bit his tongue playfully, “I can’t help it if you’re so intoxicating,” he said as he looked down at his boxers, motioning that he was turned on. I gave him a teasing kiss and pushed him into the bathroom. He blew me a kiss as he shut the door.

When he got out of the bathroom and was finished getting dressed he came out into the kitchen where I had a nice breakfast waiting for him-including a fresh cup of Starbucks. I had time to go while he was in the shower and figured it would be a pleasant surprise, and as I expected he was very appreciative.

Our bags were already packed and waiting to go and all we had to do was make our way to the train station so that we could get to the airport. I started to get a little frazzled as we were putting on our coats and walking out the door. “Let’s go!” I demanded.

“Woah, woah. Relax babe,” he laughed at me as he put his hands up in defense.

“I’m sorry I just don’t want to be late. It’s not funny.”

He went to hug me and I pulled back. “Not now, don’t touch me.”

“What’s the problem?”

“Nothing, I want to go.”

Zach noticed my frazzled state.

I was in the process of putting my scarf on when Zach walked close to me, put his hands on mine, and softly placed them down at my sides and intertwined with his. “Honey,” he started and he released one of my hands and put his on my face. “Relax. Please. My parents are going to love you.”

I breathed out a sigh of relief. He knew exactly what I was really being anal about. When I looked up into his eyes he knew that was the confirmation he had hit the nail on his head-even though he never doubted it.

“But what if they don’t. They’ve never met me and don’t know me and what if I’m not what they picked out for you.”

Zach’s face showed that he was amused by statement. He put his hand on my waist and stroked my cheek. “They’re going to love you, because I love you. They already love you from what I’ve told them. You have nothing to worry about.”

“You sure?” I asked hesitantly.

“Yes.” He kissed me and finished wrapping my scarf. “Ready?”

I nodded and we zippered up and walked out the door. The next three days were going to be fun. I hoped.

We got to the airport, checked in, and had plenty of time to spare. As we were waiting to board Zach was restless. “Well, I’ll give you one thing, you’re definitely efficient.”

I laughed as my cheeks turned red. “Well, it’s not my fault. I’m sorry! I just wanted everything to go perfect so I could meet your family!”

Zach kissed my forehead, "relax baby," he said as our plane was finally boarding. We were in first class and the two-hour flight was going to feel like forever because I was so anxious.

When we finally landed and got off the plane we got our bags and went out front to wait for Zach’s dad. He was there within five minutes of us waiting, but he was in communication with Zach the entire time, so Zach kept him informed.

He pulled over and got out of the car, we only had two suitcases and a carry-on but he was doing it out of politeness to greet me. He made his was around the car and to my surprise wrapped me up into a big hug. Zach just looked on, pleased.

“It’s so great to finally meet the girl that has my son so love struck!”

“Okay dad, don’t squeeze her to death,” Zach jokingly said to him.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Parise. I’ve been looking forward to it!” I said to him.

“Oh, no! Please, call me dad.” I didn’t know what Zach had said to him, but it couldn’t have been bad. If Zach’s family was this accepting, and this was just a preview to how the holiday was going to go, I knew it was going to be a special one.

We drove the forty minutes back to Zach’s house and the entire trip home Zach and his dad talked about hockey and caught each other up on little details they may not have known. He asked Zach more about us and politely asked me about my life. He gave me no vibe that suggested I was unwelcome, and I loved the feeling of fitting in with Zach’s family.

We pulled into the snowy driveway and made our way into the house. It had a homey smell, a warm inviting smell. I inhaled it as Zach’s mom made her way out of the kitchen. She hugged her son in an extended hug and then she came over to me.

“Mom, this is Sarah.”

“Oh honey, I know who she is.” She turned her attention to me, “I’m so happy to finally meet you!” She hugged me as I said, “Thank you so much for inviting me to stay with your family.”

“Oh don’t be silly dear! I couldn’t wait to meet you,” she laughed. “Dinner is almost ready, go put your stuff away and come back down.” She said as she disappeared back into the kitchen.

Zach and I had previously decided to sleep in separate bedrooms to respect his parents and not give off the wrong impression. I was more comfortable sleeping in a different bed than him in his parent’s house, especially the first time we were meeting.

I looked around my bedroom after Zach had showed me to it. He went to the bathroom and left me alone to take a breath and get myself situated. There were pictures of him growing up, of him and his brother Jordan, him playing hockey. He was so precious, even back then. Just as I was smiling at one of his older pictures, I felt his arms wrap around me.

I spun around and collectively formed into his body. “See, I told you they would love you-that they already did. You had nothing to worry about.”

“Thank God,” I sighed.

“Ready to eat? My mom went out of her way to make us a nice dinner. So be prepared to eat a lot of food. You won’t be hungry tomorrow for Christmas Eve.”

I laughed. “Let’s go.”

He grabbed my hand and we made our way downstairs. On the way down I noticed the Christmas decorations and details I didn’t have time to register when we first arrived at the house. I also noticed the fireplace and the arrangement of stockings for Zach’s mom, dad, brother, Zach, and me. They placed a stocking with my name on the mantle, and as soon as I realized this, I stopped on the stairs and turned around to face Zach.

I breathed him in as I said, “I love you. Thank you for all this.”

He smiled as he pulled me tightly into him, “This is going to be a magical Christmas because it’s the first of many more to come that I’m getting to spend with you.”

I knew he was right. It was the first of many, and I was so excited to spend the next three days getting to know Zach’s family better, and falling more in love with him.