When Will The Tide Turn

Layla, A Single Glass Rose

"A single glass rose. That is all it was, and all it would be. So simple, so plain," Layla waited for the seventh period bell to ring. The scabbed over cut on her arm was beginning to throb. Pieces of the black, cotton, long sleeves, Layla had to wear to cover up her wound, were catching on the rough edges of the dried blood. Lunch was next on her schedule, Layla was not planning to actually eat but to get out of a classroom for twenty minutes was a blessing all in it's own. Layla realizes that it probably would have been best if she had brought lunch money, due to the fact that her friends was starting to hint around an eating disorder every time she forgot her lunch money (which was often), but she was just lucky she was able to remember to breath this morning after last night's horrible occurrence.

Finally the loud speaker buzzed announcing it was time to switch classes. Layla skipped lifelessly though the hallways avoiding the physical touch of anyone. Her mind racing in a haze, Layla could not even recall putting in her locker combination to put her morning books away, as she walked into the Cafeteria and received the loud overpowering sound of a hundred hungry middle-schoolers reuniting with their friends. Frost runs up inside the petals. Smoke stains line the edges, as if burned. So beautiful, so elegant. Layla maneuvered her way to her assigned seat and watched as more students filed in. When Meridith trotted in she came to a pause when she noticed Layla sitting alone at the table lunch-less. She rolled her eyes in discussed and continued on to her seat across from the stool to the right of Layla.

"Hey, no lunch again," Meridith commented in an unintended snotty voice. "Uh, yeah. I, um, forgot again sorry," Layla answered ashamed. "Huh, yeah you've been forgetting a lot lately." "Yeah, I have been kind of, um, tired lately," Layla wanted to confide in her friend that she was shattered and that she felt herself slipping under the cold suffocating waters and that she wanted a strong arm to pull her out; Layla knew better, Meridith would not understand. So she chose to sit in silence as Meridith trash talked a band that Layla secretly had on her iPod. It was not as if Layla did not like being friends with Meridith anymore, seven years of friendship is just a bond that can not be broken. Layla just wishes Meridith would be more concerned about her internal pains more often. Completely empty inside.Transparent, you can see right through it. So empty, so lonely.

When lunch ended all the students raced to their lockers to make it to their next class on time. At the lockers Layla must have been stepped on at least nine times, she had a lower locker.It is not very large. Then there were those incidences were her locker gets slammed shut by accident and Layla needs to redo her combination all over again to get the rest of her books. All of these setbacks leave Layla to be silently walking down the hallway, after the bell has rung, and she is almost completely alone. Unnoticed, to tiny and insignificant. So small, so overlooked.

On her way to her class someone rushing to their next period bumped into her, and knocked all of her books out of her arms and into the floor. "Oh I am so sorry. Um, here let me help you," they said after Layla had already begun to pick up her discarded load. In all the confusion of the dropped text books and ripped out binder paper, the student who bumped into Layla (Aaron) picked up Layla's secret notebook and started to scan through it. At first it was to see if it belonged to him because he did also drop a few things he was carrying; but as he flipped through it he saw heart breaking poems, mind numbing songs, and spine chilling stories. Layla noticed this and snatched back the notebook, said thank-you for helping collect up her books, and walked off to her class so fast that if Aaron had blinked he would have missed it all. To complex to be fully understood. The amazing detail it has is too much to be taken in. So complex, so amazing.

As cliche as this might be, the person who Layla happened to get hit by was also her distant crush. Layla preferred admire people from afar. She made up happy little fantasies with them, about said crush coming to her rescue giving her a shoulder to cry on, or a chest to pillow her head at night and they would stay all night to make sure she had no unwanted dreams. This was easier than being out in the open about who you admire because the you are vulnerable to them and how they might reject you. Handle it carefully. Never touched, feared to be easily broken. So fragile, so delicate.

When Layla at last entered her science class the process began again; just this time she was counting down the moments until she would have to board her bus and be shipped back to her unwelcoming house hold. A single glass rose. That is all it was, and all it would be. So simple, so plain. So much pain.