Other Colors

She knows

Today was the day. Today was the day when she tells her daughter everything. Who, what, where, when and why.

"You have autism. You have a mild yet advanced form of autism called Aspergers Syndrome. You didn't know about that?"

"Well er, you have over bragged it to your little girlfriends, mom."

June 5th 1998 9:13 am

Arlene just woke up to the sound of her mothers mellow voice coming from the kitchen. First thing she usually does is, kiss her good morning, grabs a bowl of Frootloops and drags her blue footy pajamas to the TV to watch morning cartoons. "Hi Mommy!" she squeals. As Arlene runs excitedly to her mothers opened arms, the second thing she notices is a really sour faced blond woman sitting next to mommy. Arlene just looks away, and heads off to the living room next to the kitchen.

"You notice she does not make any eye contact with me?" says the sour faced blond woman.

"She cannot help it, Molly. She doesn't know you at all."

"That isn't an excuse for being rude Tess! Your her mother."

Tesse faces her daughter, whom is watching "Oh Yeah! Cartoons", almost glued to the colorful screen, completely mesmerized.

"Arlene baby, can you come to the kitchen for a minute?"

Arlene walks into the dinning area of the kitchen where her mother had called her, bowl of soggy Frootloops still in hand.

"What's going on?" she says, still avoiding the sour faced blond woman.

"Honey, this is Daddy's little sister, Aunt Molly."

They both just stare at each other. Or at least Arlene is only staring at the top of Molly's head.
Molly waits to be properly greeted by this odd red-headed 6 year old. Whom has very soggy Frootloops in one hand and a blankey in the other. She's wearing very large blue footey PJ's.

"Hi..." she says faintly, and runs back to her cozy spot in the middle of the living room floor.

"So she had to wear an eye patch?" asked Molly.

"Yeah, because she had a thing with crossing her eyes. I remember her watching Barney sideways from her good eye. She really is a genius child if you know her better."

"Not According to Roger". she said with a pause."He says all she used to do was spin things in circles, including herself, and speak in tongues. He also said she didn't even start to speak until she was three and a half"

"Well he's right, but still she's very intelligent and artistic. All she ever does is play with her imaginary friends and draw worlds on the large construction paper I gave her. I even got her into making dolls."

"Worlds?"

"Yes, she draws multiple exotic looking people and creatures onto the paper and puts them in a colorful and almost alien-like environment and back round. Most of her works are very intriguing. You wanna see some of-"

"Sorry, Tesse I gotta go. See you tomorrow."

"So you-