Black Fire

10 - Kentucky Fried Flirting

"TV dibs," I called after dinner.
"No way! Your fingers are all covered in chicken grease. Don't even think about touching that remote," Shane replied. "Anyway, I wanted to let you two listen to this song I'm working on learning." She struggled with not looking directly at me. This would be the song she was humming earlier.
Before I walked away to wash my hands, I saw her grab the third cd down in the little pile by the tv, pop it in, and start flipping through tracks. " Just incase they're wondering / They've got us pinned terribly / They don't believe our love is real / Cause they don't know how real love feels," I heard from the livingroom, a mix of some male singer's voice and Shane's.
As I stood in the kitchen-to-livingroom doorway it continued, " You should know it's true / Just now, the part about my love for you / And how my heart's about burst / Into a thousand pieces / Oh it must be true / And they'll believe us too soon / Baby, it's fact / That our love is true," she sang along and discreetly locked her gaze on me as she went on, " The way black is black / And blue is just blue."
'Cute, Shaney, very cute.'
...
My love is true
It's a matter of fact
Oh, and you love me too
It's as simple as that
Baby, our love is true

They may say some awful things
But there's no point in listening
Your words are the only words
That I believe in afterwards.
You should know it's true
Just now, the part about my love for you
And how my heart's about burst
Into a thousand pieces
Oh it must be true
And They'll believe us to soon

Baby, it's fact
That our love is true
The way black is black
And blue is just blue
My love is true
It's a matter of fact
Oh, and you love me too
It's as simple as that
Baby, our love is true

It's true
Oh oh oh
It's true
Oh oh oh
It's true
Oh oh oh
It's true
Whoa oh oh

Baby, it's fact
That our love is true
The way black is black
And blue is just blue
My love is true
It's a matter of fact
Oh, and you love me too
It's as simple as that

Baby, it's fact
That our love is true
The way black is black
And blue is just blue
My love is true
It's a matter of fact
Oh, and you love me too
It's as simple as that

Baby, it's fact
Our love is true
Baby, it's fact
Our love is true
Ohhh
Baby, it's fact
Our love is true
Baby, it's fact
Ohhh
Baby, it's fact
Our love
Our love is true


She laughed and bowed as dad and I both applauded her. "Yeah, I'm not good enough yet to play it all the way through, but I'm working on it."
"You've got the vocals down," dad commented. "For sure."
"Yeah, definitely," I agreed as I tossed the paper towel with which I'd been drying my hands. It landed perfectly in the trash can, which brought a smirk to my lips - little victories.
"I doubt I'll ever convince the guys to learn their parts and I'm sure they'd never play it - teenage boys and love songs, just not meant to be," she said with a chuckle. "But, it's just one more song I'll know - little victories."
"Well, my little musician," dad said, "I think that for the moment your only big concern should be getting some sleep. I still haven't mastered the art of making breakfast."
"There will be a big plate of blueberry pancakes and sausage waiting when you wake up," she assured. She gave us each a quick hug, said goodnight, and went up to her room. I soon followed - to my room, I mean. We'd already agreed we would wait until morning to talk.
♠ ♠ ♠
The chapter name is kind of lame, but it was a short, uneventful one so I had to kind of scrape the barrel. I'm having to cut short sometimes to work the right dramatic effect into the beginnings/endings.

OH! And if anyone cares the song is Baby It's Fact by Hellogoodbye - I LOVE that song!