The Tudor Witness

Chapter Ten

Death was always a cruel and terrible fate. Something to learn from, to grow from. Just another thing to make Catalina wiser...

Now she was stuck in this place all alone, a widow of just a few short weeks. More like long weeks, spent alone and secluded from the rest of the world.

She had no one left to turn to. All the Spaniards were gone and she was alone in a world where they spoke not a word of her language, and where her fate was suddenly uncertain.

Catalina didn’t know why God had done such a thing as this. She wasn’t even sure if God cared about her fate at all. Why had he been taken away from her? She had loved him, and he was the only one she had, and now he was gone.

As she stared out her window, she looked upon the Royal Family. They would not take her in, only regard her as the Princess of Wales.

She missed grasping his hand in hers. She missed his kiss, and his touch. And those blue eyes and that ready smile.

The miniature was in her palm. She had rubbed it so much that the pain had begun to peel off. It was all she had left of him.

She wished she hadn’t been so stupid from the beginning. If she had only consummated it, if she had only carried his child inside of her, then she would have one of her own, her husband would still live on in the child. England would have an heir and she would be held high in the Royal Family.

“Catalina,” she heard someone call and turned around slowly to look at Henry, standing there. He had not taken his brother’s death so easily, almost as hard at she had.

“Yes, Henry?”

He looked a bit uneasy. “If it meant my brother’s death, I never meant to say then that things can change so fast. I guess I was right and here I am-the heir of England. I know things are even less easy for you. My parents, to be true, are not sure what they shall do with you. I would like you to stay, for maybe something can be worked out here.” And then Henry did something so unexpected. He began speaking to her, in Spanish. “I know ‘tis very hard for you here, so far away from home. You cannot speak Latin in court for so long, and I would like to teach you English if you’d let me.”

For the first time in weeks, Catalina felt a small jolt of happiness in her weak heart. She ran to him and embraced him. For only ten, he was as tall as her.

He was twice as smart as any boy she knew, and could sing and play better than anyone. He could joust, play tennis, ride horses, and he had such a handsome young face that any young girl would love. Yes, he had much going for him. Any European princess would want to be his bride.

“I really am sorry for you, Catalina. I really don’t think anyone understands how much you suffer. Trust in God to make things right.” Henry picked up her hand and put it to his lips, gently kissing it. Such a kind boy he was.

He turned to leave, and Catalina turned back to the window, looking out upon all of Shropshire. Maybe she would have her chance to go to London now at least. She’d wanted to stay more than a week there, and maybe she might find someone else to marry.

“Oh, there is something else,” Henry suddenly said, Catalina realizing he had not left the room.

“Yes?” she said, trying out one of the few English words she had heard often.

His face reddened. “My parents have been wondering…if your marriage was consummated.”

She smiled slightly. “As God is my witness, our marriage was never consummated.”

He nodded and then left.

For now she would have to wait and see what would become of her, and if nothing came then it would be back to Spain. Back to her mother and father, and back to the land that she had now completely left behind.


=+=

Autumn

“Elizabeth!” Anne cried out with joy as soon as the door to the queen’s rooms was opened.

She ran to embrace me, looking more beautiful than I had ever seen her.

“Oh, Anne, I was so worried about you,” I tried to sound convincing. I still wasn’t truly myself yet.

“Not as worried as I was about you. I was so afraid I would never see my dear friend again. Oh, look at you, you have gotten so big, and it looks as if you’ve actually eaten!” Anne exclaimed.

I instantly turned to the queen and smiled as I curtsied to her. There was a knowing in her eyes as she nodded to me, a faint smile on her lips.

“Oh Anne, I learned French, and some Greek, and how to sing and play a bit on the harpsichord, and also some archery!” I exclaimed as soon as we went to sit by the fire.

Some of the other girls groaned.

“Favorite,” I heard Jane Seymour mumble. What did she know about me? Nothing at all. She had no right to talk and I knew what I had been through.

“Oh, dear, don’t listen to them,” Anne smiled and then looked to the top of my head. “You’re wearing your hair back?”

I hadn’t even realized it. “’Twas very hot today,” I lied, fanning myself to make it more convincible.

“Well, I’m sure you would like to know everything!” Anne cried.

I nodded eagerly, finally happy to be back. Yet I was still nervous about being around Hannah’s family. I wondered how they faired.

“The sickness was not as bad in court as it was in London. I was only sick for a few days and only about ten people in court actually died,” Anne paused her, no doubt not wanted to bring up the subject of Hannah. “For once I have not been with the king in weeks, yet it is common knowledge in court now that the king and I intend to be married. I find it a good place to be, you know? I find he treats me better now that everyone knows, and he had stopped asking me to his bed, for he knows I will come when we are married.”

I sighed, knowing it was not over. But it seemed this sickness had given Anne a new perspective on life.

“The king was worried sick over me. He visited me at night when all the nurses and doctors were asleep even though I was quarantined away from the rest of the court. Quite romantic, he is,” Anne sighed. “You haven’t read his letters to me have you?”

I shook my head. “What letters? He lives in the same building as you!”
“Yes, but it is oh so adorable. I feel like we are forbidden lovers. I have dozens of letters of affection from him. I’ve been getting them for a year or so now.”

I breathed in deep, taking in my surroundings once more. I loved being at Windsor. It was a maze of a castle, but oh so beautiful. I didn’t realize until then exactly how much I’d missed court. I never wanted to leave again.

It was that surprising to me what happened in the next few days.

That night Tom’s mother looked distraught, her mind not on court, or on the dinner. We danced that night, yes, but I hadn’t danced since nearly spring, and I found myself quite terrible without practicing for so long. Besides, Tom was still trying to comfort his grieving mother and sisters, so I no one to dance with besides my brother.

Dancing with my brother…not so good.

I retired to my room early and found that Anne was already there, fast asleep.

I liked having the old Anne back, the one I had known when I first came to court more than three years before. I really needed her now more than ever, and I was glad she had gone back to her good old self.

It was a cloudy night and as I looked out the window seat I was glad that I had a window to look out again. Maybe, I thought, it would just be okay, with Hannah looking down upon me and all.

As I snuggled myself under the covers I prayed to God, asking him if she had little friends to play with up in Heaven.

I hoped that she did.

The next day I woke up and Anne was still sleeping beside me. I couldn’t remember the last time that I had woken up before Anne. I thought that it was impossible.

It was a cool morning and I joined Tom as he walked down to breakfast.

“My mother had been sick too,” Tom explained. “Just found out this morning.”

“Really? I take it she was okay then,” I replied.

He nodded. “She only really had the fever for a few days and then she was back on her feet. She got it after…eh…Hannah.”

And then I suddenly realized something. How were my brother and Hannah to be betrothed if she was dead? And what did this mean for me?

“Tom, what…what is going to happen with the negotiations since Hannah is dead?” I asked right out.

“Well, ‘tis quite obvious that the negotiation for your brother and my sister being betrothed are out of the question now, but…my father still…still wants you and I betrothed,” Tom hesitated.

I didn’t want to say anything, yet there was then an awkward silence between us.

“Of course then, we won’t be married until you are sixteen,” he added.

“And you will be twenty one,” I declared.

He nodded. “Five years.”

“So, what are we to do between then?” I asked. “Surely you know that marriages are loveless.”

“Well, yes, nowadays they are, but we can come to love each other…maybe…”

“Let’s…uh…let’s not talk about this,” I muttered, uncomfortable with marriage talk. I was only ten for God’s sake!

He suddenly grasped my hand in his. “Come with me,” he declared and pulled me through the halls.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“You’ll see,” was all he said.

We went outside, the cold air instantly slapping us in the face, and I followed him as he ran to the end of the courtyard, where a little chapel stood. I knew there were tombs there, some were of old, forgotten nobility, and others were of ancient saints, their effigies faded off the stone.

He sat down in front of a newer-looking grave, which fresh flowers of all colors sat upon.

I looked down at the words etched on the grave.

“Alas my love
Ye do me wrong…
You were all my love
And all my delight.”


I started crying, smiling too, thinking of how Hannah had loved that song-Greensleeves-more than anyone I knew. I started humming the tune in my head, thinking of Hannah’s pure voice and her blue eyes. It did not end there, though.

“Here lies the body in its state
Hannah Devon, taken in her stride
In the 16th day of the month of July, 1528
Sickness did ye wrong
Aged 10”


I looked over at Tom and thought for a second that he was crying too, but I was never exactly sure.

It was a cold autumn, yet I found myself outdoors much of the time.

Anne had seemed content with her status, and knew the king would not tire of her even if he tried, so she spent all her new-found time with me.

It felt good to be back on my horse, Colette, again. She had grown, as I had, and was now a large white horse. I found that I liked to braid her main and place in it ribbons of all colors. She looked even prettier that way.

I could tell the new stable boys did not care so much about horses as Tom ever had. Maybe that was why there were so many of them.

One day as we were riding our horses, we stopped by the side of the path at the little stream, thirsty for some water.

“Elizabeth, I know not what to think of the king any longer. It’s like...like the queen is already not in the picture. I just feel as if I am his betrothed or something, not obliged to do anything but wait for our wedding day. If only it really were that simple. My family is proud of me, oh so proud. I even saw my sister this summer,” Anne raised her eyebrows. “I haven’t seen her since her baby was born back nearly a year ago. A big boy he is, with the red locks of his father.”

“Is it noticeable that he is the king’s son?” I asked.

“Well, it is to everyone who really knows little Henry. Stupid thing she named him that you know? Not like she’ll ever be in court again for anyone to suspect, but still it’s best not to raise suspicions after your family has told you to keep quiet.”

“Well what’re you going to do when you do become queen? She is your sister after all. Do you think you might become part of court again?”

“Uh…she has already given us enough shame. As much as I would like to have her back at court, there would be no place for her. She will end up doing something stupid again, I’m sure of it, and there would be no point if Henry was just going to banish her again.”

If it were me maybe I would have given her a second chance. What if their places were switched and Anne was the forgotten mistress, never allowed in court again? But when I looked at Anne I knew that with her it could never be possible. No one would ever forget her.

Tom was soon back in court. I had Anne help me practice my dancing again and soon I was out on the floor dancing with him.

One night, though, I was thinking. Am I really to be stuck with him as my husband forever? I could not imagine my best friend as my husband. I just couldn’t imagine Tom as my husband at all, even if we weren’t friends. He was a young man, and I was still a little girl. Most times when we were together, people though me his little sister, and it had happened more then once.

That night after dancing we sat down to watch a little play. Oh how I loved watching the plays. They seemed right interesting, yet I really never could pay attention.

I looked over at Anne and the king and for the first time I smiled. They were sitting and laughing just like they were the best of friends, and nothing more.

Tom leaned over to me in the middle of act two and whispered in my ear, “We will not be betrothed. My father does not want to frighten you and have you in such an agreement at such a young age. Besides, when I turn sixteen, I am a courtier. Your brother will be one too, and that way he can join us at court in every palace, not just Hampton Court.”

I felt much better then about it, glad that Tom was okay with it too. I wouldn’t be forced to marry anyone, and I was once again a free girl.

Anne came to sit next to me near the end of the play. She giggled as she dropped a little gem ring into my hand.

“The king gave us matching ones,” she giggled as if she were a little girl in love for the first time.

I looked down at the scarlet gem, and saw that it exactly matched hers.

“The king himself said to give that one to you, as you’re my little maid,” Anne smiled and slipped her ring onto a slender finger.

People seemed to be liking Anne a lot more now. All talk of her being a witch had stopped for all I knew. The maids to the queen treated her with more respect now, for they knew that the time would come soon that she would be king, and then they would be maids to her.

The queen was now spending many hours in the church. It was said that the Pope himself was to come and hold some sort of a trial to try and figure out if Anne should be made Henry’s next wife. All the while the king spent more money on entertainment, and he went out hunting nearly every morning.

The Autumn was over fast.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments are lovely.