The Tudor Witness

Chapter Fifteen

He was worried again.

Henry laughed loudly. “Oh Arthur, it isn’t Christmas if you aren’t worried.”

Arthur swallowed his drink hard. “She’s going to be here next year.”

“You said that last year,” Henry reminded.

“But she will be. She will be. I’m afraid.”

“It’s normal to be afraid to get married.”

“What if she doesn’t like me?” he ran a hand through his hair and sighed. His voice was much deeper then when Henry had last seen him.

“You’ve written to her haven’t you?” Henry asked.

“Of course.”

“You are wonderful in your writing Arthur. You could woo her into your bed with just that!”

“Henry! How many times must I say to you?!” Arthur yelled.

“I’m ten. I’m not oblivious to things.” Henry winked and walked down to the dining hall for Christmas dinner.

Arthur followed him. “When will you stop teasing me?”

“When you get over your fears. When your first child is born I will tease you no longer.”

“You mean it?”

Henry smirked. “Possibly. Younger brothers are always there to tease. It’s my duty.”

“Oh, York,” Arthur sighed and then smiled. “What would I do without you?”

“Without me you’d be so worried you’d hide in your bed all day!”

“You might be right about that. You bring laughter into my life,” Arthur chuckled and patted his brother on the back. “When she is here I want you to live in Wales with me. Please.”

“I will. I promise.”

Henry returned to Windsor in January, alone after the festivities again. Though things were going slow with Catherine’s arrival to England, he hoped she would be there soon. Then he could go about and tease his brother all he wanted.

“Hello, York,” a kind voice said behind him. Charles Brandon, just the lowly son of a night. Henry had seen him around before. He was two years older than Arthur.

“Hello, Charles. I thought you resided in court,” Henry said.

“Your father has sent me here to keep you company, if that’s alright?” he seemed kind enough. Too lowly to be friends with Henry, or so Henry thought. This boy was going to be his dearest friend someday.

“Of course it’s alright.”

“He says you’re fair at hawking. I enjoy hawking myself. Archery is fun as well. In the spring we could play at sports?” he strode ahead of Henry, his long legs allowing him to walk faster than the duke. He was very fit for someone poor. And he was attractive.

“I think I can make a friend out of you yet,” Henry smiled sincerely.

“I know I’m of poor status, but I’ve heard from your brother that you’re alone here,” Charles explained as they walked into the warm castle.

“You’re friends with my brother?”

“I am companions with him, yes. I fear I could never be friends with a King, but we talk sometimes if we see one another since we are close in age. Tell me, is he always so worried?”

Henry just laughed. “You don’t know the half of it my friend.”


=+=

The Year 1530
Spring


“Who would have thought that so much could happen in so little time?” William sighed as we lay against the grass in the courtyard at Greenwich.

“What do you mean?”

“Since we first came here, I mean.”

I nodded.

“Shouldn’t you be at lessons?” he asked suddenly.

“It’s our day off,” I answered. I didn’t wish to tell him there that the Brandon’s had actually gone in secret to Richmond with the queen. It was still a secret to the rest of the court.

“Shouldn’t you be with Anne then?” he asked.

“I really don’t like Anne’s company much,” I confessed. All she had were complaints these days.

“Can you believe that the king is thinking of splitting with Rome and going with some other Church of Canterbury in order to marry Anne?” he gasped out.

“No, I really cannot believe it. The king, ‘Defender of the Faith.’ The one who has the court pray for a lost soul and pray over our meals at dinner, it just is not the same.”

“None of this seems right,” William sighed.

“Did you hear that there is talk of a sweat outbreak near Richmond, where the queen is?” I asked.

He shook his head. “Who told you?”

“Anne.”

“She’s probably lying then, anything to hurt the queen.”

“I just don’t get it. Anne had such good intentions…”

“The power just overcame her family,” he explained.

“I guess you are right,” I sighed and looked up at the faint blue sky.

Dear Elizabeth Rushford,

My mother has sent me a letter, saying things are looking up for all of us.

She sent a request to the pope in February, hoping that the Pope would agree. He has, and has issued a statement saying that my mother is forbidden to marry Anne until the Vatican has come to a decision as the whether to grant a divorce or not. My cousin is still holding the Pope captive, and can force him to do anything under his command. I hope that soon my mother will be back at court, for when she goes, I go.

I’ve recently been told that I am to travel north, be sent from Ludlow, up to a castle near Scotland. Can’t remember the name of it, by now my situation is changing. I want nothing but to come to court again. It has been a year since I was last there, and I am fourteen now. Seems a long while since I was last out riding with you and Meg.

Speaking of Meg, I don’t think it’s really your place to tell Tom. If Meg hasn’t told him by now I think you should just let it go. I’m keeping her in my prayers though, hoping she can overcome her sins and if she did in fact plan the miscarriage to repent and find the error of her ways.

Your loyal friend,
Princess Mary Tudor


Meg finally went back out into court in mid-March. That is when I finally came back.

It seemed so much had changed by then. The court was wearing all French styles like Anne, and everyone was either in terrible or incredibly high spirits.

The first night we went back into court it was a masquerade. Anne was now sitting at the high table, another table erected below held her father, uncle, and Thomas More.

The court seemed to be in an uproar, seeing Anne seating in the queen’s position, yet Anne looked content and happy with her new position as queen-to-be.

Thomas More, who was a supporter of Catherine, did not show much emotion in his countenance. Everyone knew he was for Catherine, though.

Anne and the king started the dance. Anne was once again a peacock, as she had been years ago during that first dance, where the king had first been attracted. The king had a less elaborate mask on, for the jewels on his doublet could easily give him away. Also giving him away was that he was dancing with Anne.

Meg and I wore matching red dresses with gold bracelets separating our trumpet-style sleeves. Meg and I were butterflies, and we surely felt so as we danced before the court. I missed dancing with the Brandon girls, yet Meg seemed to be closer to me than weeks before.

I had noticed that there was some tension between Tom and Meg. She had not been with him in a long while, yet it was just recently that she had recovered. I wondered if they were still courting.

Surprisingly, when Tom came up to us halfway through the dance, he asked me to dance.

“Seems forever since I danced with someone other than my brother!” I giggled, as I spun around.

“I almost mistook you for Meg. Your hair is turning blonde and you have gotten so much taller,” he declared.

I was becoming more like my tall, slim father every day. My hair in fact had been turning lighter every day, like my father’s dark blonde hair, and I had been getting much taller. I realized then that I did look like Meg a bit, yet my deep blue eyes as big as the moon, which I had gotten from my mother, gave me away. And I was younger. I was twelve, Meg was fourteen like Mary.

I was a bold, curious girl, and sometimes my curiosity got the best of me. I asked, “Are you, if I’m not being too bold, still courting Meg?”

He shrugged. “Meg has had a tough time recovering. I want to take things slower and just wait a bit. I mean, she is the first one I loved, and I’m the first one she loved, so maybe we should just see if there is another person for either of us.”

So they had stopped for a bit. I guess that was what Meg really deserved for all she had done.

“I still think there is something you are hiding from me,” he smiled.

“Why would I be hiding things from you?” I asked with a sly smile upon my face.

He put his grasp upon my waist and lifted me up just a bit into the air.

“We have all kept things from you,” he declared.

“What?!” I gasped.

He nodded, laughing. “When the sweating sickness came, you were very young. Your family had just died of it, you know, and Hannah did. We didn’t tell you nearly as many that actually died.”

“You said three people died in court,” I reminded.

He was still laughing. “You think it was only that little. Nearly 50,000 died in London alone. The sickness was throughout the whole country, killing thousands, Elizabeth. It traveled through to the continent even, killing uncountable numbers! And not just three died. Anne was taken to Hever when she sickened, and nearly everyone retreated to their country homes.

“After we went to Ludlow the whole court nearly split up over all the country. They say Wolsey, maybe even the king sickened of it! I really suspect the real reason the queen sent us to Ludlow was so we did not know what really went on at court. Didn’t you realize so many people missing from court? Elizabeth, nearly two thousand people in this court died. Now tell me your secret, for I’m sure I can tell you many more things that you were not told.”

“I have no secrets, Tom, I tell you everything.”

“You used to. You never have time for me anymore!” Tom teased.

“I have lessons,” I declared.

“Not anymore. I know that the Brandon’s have gone to Richmond with the queen. I don’t think you will be studying with them any longer, for the king will surely think his sister treasonous or something to that effect, going with the queen and all.”

“It’s the king’s sister.”

“Well I also know that when she married Charles Brandon without then king’s consent, she was nearly banished from court. The Queen of France, she was, and the king almost banished her for marrying who she wanted. That is what happens when you go against the king and no one is stupid enough yet to verbalize their displeasure with Anne.”

I was silent for a bit. “Maybe I will tell you…someday.”

He stared at me, a faint smile upon his lips.

“Stop glaring at me,” I tried to be serious, but I found myself laughing the next second.

“Are you feeling intimidated?”

“Not by you, Tom,” I smiled.

“The king loves me,” Anne smiled and took a sip of her tea as Meg and I sat in her bedchamber. “He’s coming here tonight.”

“You want us to leave, don’t you?” I asked, preparing to get up, not wanting to see the king and her together.

“Tonight is the last night I will see him until I go to Hever,” Anne added.

“You’re going to Hever?” Meg asked excitedly.

Anne nodded. “Would you two like to come with me?”

“Of course!” I cried. I hadn’t left London in ages, and I wanted to get out and see the world a bit.

“It is in the south, in Kent,” Anne explained. “I will only be going for two weeks, but it is a tactic of course. Keep the king waiting for me for two weeks, and then he will be hungry for more.”

“So should we go and pack then?” Meg asked, a curious smile forming on her lips.

Anne nodded and then began to brush out her long hair. She pulled the bodice of her brown and gold gown down just a bit more and checked her reflection in her new jeweled looking glass.

As soon as we retreated from the chamber, Meg grabbed my hand. The room was deserted, as the rest of the maids had gone to bed in their own chambers.

“What?” I whispered, just wanting to go and pack.

“If you haven’t noticed, there is a large crack in the door leading to Anne’s room,” Meg smiled.

“And?”

“Let’s hide here and when the king comes we can see what he says!” Meg exclaimed.

“Oh, no,” I started walking away. “I already know that all they do is kiss in there.”

“Well, aren’t you a curious girl! I just want to see what the king has to say,” Meg pleaded.

“No,” I declared, walking off again. If Meg wanted to stay then she could, but I would not.

“Please…” Meg called to me.

I turned around and looked at her pale face. I knew she was still saddened and weak by all that had recently happened to her, and I didn’t wish to disappoint her.

“Were you thinking of hiding on the window seat with the curtain closed?” I asked, a smile appearing on my lips.

“Intellectual minds think alike,” she giggled, though I knew not for what reason.

I had such trouble teaching Meg to read and write, she had not learned anything else. She was not as bad as Elizabeth Seymour, who tried to hide her illiteracy when she was with her sister. But that was their problem.

We sat behind the window seat with the thick curtain closed and looked upon the rolling countryside. I liked Greenwich, for we could see far out into the countryside at the little farms and villages that reminded me so much of home. I liked to be away from London sometimes.

It seemed like forever until Meg finally heard the footsteps of heavy boots against the floor. It could be none other than the king, who had the court come to Greenwich just to hunt. We instantly made ourselves as still as possible, for if he found us he would probably think us spies (which when I thought of it, was quite true) and kill us on the spot.

We heard the door open and close, and then it being locked. Carefully, Meg pulled back the curtain and walked slowly and carefully over to the door. When she peeked inside for just a bit to make sure the king and Anne did not see her, she motioned for me to come.

There was, in fact, a large hole in the door, so big that we could see everything that happened with both our heads crushed up against it.

They were not kissing, yet, which was a relief to me, they were just sitting, Anne in the king’s lap, talking.

“I’ve have missed you,” Anne frowned. “Do you not have time for me anymore?”

“I always find time,” the king assured, obeying Anne like he was under her spell.

“’Tis good you do, otherwise I my find another man,” Anne smirked.

“There’s no one better than I am,” the king smirked as well.

“How would I know of Your Majesty’s love if I never experienced it myself?”

“I would bed you now or any day of my life,” the king had a ready response.

“As I told you time and time before, sir, I shall only give my maidenhead up to one person and one person only…”

“Your husband,” the king cut in.

Anne smiled and nodded. “Remember our promise…make me your queen and I will give you the son you so desire.”

“Give me the son and queen you shall be,” the king promised, their foreheads touching.

Anne’s hair cascaded over her shoulder, falling down past her waist. She was so beautiful and so different from anyone at court. How could people say she was not beautiful just because she didn’t have a pale face and light hair?

They started kissing then, passionately, and they fell against the bed, Anne giggling.

“Oh, Henry, we should not…”

“We can…but we should not.”

Anne sat up then. “I’ve told you I must be your wife!”

“Maybe it would be better that you are with child, and then I can just go ahead and marry you.”

Anne glared at him. “As I have told you, I will give up myself to no man unless he is my husband. What, are you trying to tell me that there is no way that you will be able to divorce the woman you were never even married to?”

“It’s not as easy as you would think, Anne Boleyn.”

“And who are you going back to table with that woman, even rumored to go back to bed with her?” Anne cried, pushing him off of her.

“I’m the King of England!” he cried.

“Oh, that’s right, of course. You are King Henry VIII of England, and I am your loyal servant,” Anne curtsied.

The king looked vexed and ready to storm from the room. I jumped from the door, afraid the king would burst out.

“No, Anne, please…” the king ran back to her as she began to cry.

“I just don’t think fighting this is worth it anymore,” Anne sobbed, falling into his arms.

He laid her on the bed and then lied down next to her, stroking her long black hair.

“Our time will come soon, Anne, when you and I will be the highest in the land and you will birth me not one, but numerous sons,” the king whispered.

Anne wrapped her arms around him. “Promise me Henry.”

“I promise, you will be my queen.”

The next day as Meg and I lounged on the window seat, sewing samplers in our hands, Anne’s brother, father, and uncle came in to speak to her.

Anne seemed not to notice us, sitting quietly, and we decided to listen in.

“Anne, we’ve been thinking Hever is not the place to go as of now,” her uncle explained.

“Why not? I want to go,” Anne declared.

“Anne, you will listen to what we say. With you gone the queen may try to re-enter court. It’s being said that a revolt from the Emperor is coming to stop you, stop the king from marrying you!” her father cried.

“What can they do to me? I have not done anything with the king!” Anne cried.

“The people of this country lie their allegiances with Queen Catherine,” her brother explained.

“What are you talking about? She is not and never was the queen!” Anne yelled.

“To the people of this country, this realm, she is. The people themselves, maybe even the court, may hold revolt against you. Do you want to risk it by just moving down to Hever for a few weeks?” her uncle asked. “I believe that you should listen to what we say. We taught you to be a smart and reasonable girl Anne, not this stubborn complaining girl you have become”

“Father!” Anne cried.

“Anne, I speak out of turn,” her father bowed. “But listen to us, do not go to Hever, do not leave this court. Keep the king in your company at all times for Suffolk is coming back and we all know what an influence he has on the king.”

“Fine, someone go get the king, I wish to play at cards.”

“Haven’t you lost incredible sums of money just these last few weeks?” her brother inquired.

“What does it matter?” Anne plopped down in her chaise. “The queen I shall be, so queen I shall act.”

The three men left and Anne began to laugh.

“They are such silly men,” she laughed, looking at us. “Don’t you think so?”

I wanted to tell her that she should listen to them, listen to what they had to say, for it was only right. But it was not my place to speak.

The king came in to play at cards.

“How are you this morning?” the king asked, smiling.

“I’m impatient,” Anne spat. “When will our marriage come?”

“It’s being debated in Rome, I hope to see that done,” the king replied.

“Still on the matter of your conscience, is it?” Anne giggled. “Surely they must know you only want to divorce her because of me.”

“Whether or not they believe it is that, I must tell you that part of it is indeed my conscience,” the king said as he shuffled the cards. “’Tis in the Bible that a man cannot marry his brother.”

“You know that I don’t read the Bible!” Anne declared. “Like I always tell you, you will never get a divorce from Rome, but you will with the Protestants.”

“Anne, only a few short years ago I was called Defender of the Faith. This country has been Catholic for more than a thousand years. Do you believe I would really change the religion that England has held dear just for you?” The king meant it merely as a joke, for then it was not even a thought, yet Anne took it more seriously.

“Why not? It’s the only way you’ll be able to have me.”

King Henry looked at her peculiarly. “Anne, I was joking.”

“Well I’m not! Think of it, making everyone become a different religion,” Anne laughed, nearly falling over in her chair.

“Well Anne’s acting a bit drunk today, isn’t she?” Meg whispered, and I saw a bit of her sampler. It was decorated with beautiful butterflies and flowers, a background of a large castle which I recognized to be Windsor.

I nodded and got back to my sampler, which was decorated in only the alphabet and a few flowers.

“Anne, I am the ruler of this country. I would not make the kingdom change their religion.”

“Why not, this place needs a change! Warmer summers, less bone-chilling winters, and some color maybe. Good God we need more French fashions I am sick of all the women wearing the same dark shades of red and blue! And look at the way they wear their hair, it will surely fall out from pulling it back so tightly. We need more masques as well, and we must put on more plays. I swear I shall die of boredom in this place…”

The cards in Henry’s hand slammed against the table. “Yes, Anne, I understand. Renovations with the latest French fashions are being done in Whitehall Palace. We will move there for summer. There is talk of the sweating sickness in the north and we shall not risk a progress.”

“Good for all of us! Keep us in London, locked away, not able to leave and breath for a bit,” suddenly Anne began to cry. “And all because of that dreadful wife of yours!”

“Anne, what are talking about?” the king demanded, his face reddening.

“Good God, Henry! You must be so blind. I haven’t left court in ages because you keep me all cooped up in here, waiting and waiting to become your wife. Since when has it become closer to the day I will marry you? Four years, isn’t it?” Anne yelled, and then started laughing.

The king threw his cards across the table and got up. “Anne, you’re drunk.”

He began to walk away and she called to him, “I’ll see you at dinner.”

He turned back, his deep blue eyes narrowing at her. “I’m dinning with Suffolk and my sister today.”

He walked from the room and as the door closed, Anne instantly began crying.

“She’s only bringing it on herself,” I muttered, shaking my head sadly.

Meg nodded and sighed, looking out the window and straightening out her low bodice. “I think there is a masque tonight.”

“I’m not going,” I declared.

“Why not?!” she pleaded.

“Meg, court is just not the same anymore,” I replied. “I would rather go and pray in the chapel.”

“Well don’t let Anne know. We all know what she thinks of Catholics.”

“She supports that William Tyndale man, the man denying the authority of the Pope,” Meg added.

“Isn’t it treason to call the Pope a liar?” I asked.

“Not in this court,” Meg declared, going back to her sampler.

It was raining terribly outside, worsening my mood. I got up and told Meg I was off to the chapel. I hurried off before Anne could notice, hoping she would not remember that I had not curtsied to her. I wouldn’t have myself do it. I would never bow to my dearest friend. I didn’t need to for marry, so why should I for Anne?

The chapel was cold and dark as a mumbled my prayers alone. I missed having the queen beside me and wondered how she faired in Richmond. Eleanor and Frances had not written to me while they were there, so I had not a clue how the queen was doing.

“Keep the queen close to her daughter Mary and keep both of them in good spirits. Please, I would like to see them again sometime soon if ever that may be possible. With Mary gone off to some castle near Scotland I cannot write to her, so a letter would be nice to.

“I hope the queen shall be okay, alone in Richmond without the Brandon’s. Please watch over her, Lord, for I know her heart is weak and aching.”

I heard another voice join in with mine, mumbling soft prayers. I looked over and saw it was Tom.

I got off of the cold stone floor and sat against the bench, watching Tom as he prayed. He was a tall boy, already eighteen.

He was done fast, and he sat against the pew next to me.

“Why aren’t you in court?” he asked.

“I might ask you the same thing.”

“’Twas quite funny actually. The king was with his sister and Suffolk and Anne was all alone. Eventually someone asked her to dance, but for a time she was just sitting there, looking shocked that no one would dance with her. But the thing is, no one in court likes her.”

“I like her.”

“Well, the nobility,” he added. “I had no one to dance with anyway.”

“What do you mean? You and Meg…”

“Meg is changing, Elizabeth. I…we’re not courting anymore,” he sighed.

“Oh…”

There was an odd silence between us and I looked up at the painted ceiling. It held the image of hundreds of angels.

I said unexpectedly, “Meg loves you, Tom. You are everything to her.”

“Every time I am with her it feels like she is hiding something from me. I just want to trust her…”

“I know what she’s not telling you,” I declared, and then threw my hand over my mouth, trying to think of something to say.

“I’d like it if you would tell me,” he whispered, leaning in close to me.

“Meg…she…her brother died, and she was…”

Tom gasped. “I’m going to go and talk to her.”

I nodded slowly as Tom left the chapel. Meg had him, again.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments are lovely. :cute: