Lost and Found

Chapter 2

[Nick’s POV]
It was 5AM and I was up, already showered, changed and ready for school. Actually, I wasn’t really ready. I was more like sitting on my bed, feeling jittery. I’d gotten up 3 hours earlier because of nerves and had whiled away my time taking a hot bath in mum’s bath tub upstairs, changing slowly (and almost freezing under the air-conditioner), doodling and playing video games on my computer and now I allowed myself to freak out.
This year was different. It was new, totally, completely new. I knew that today would set the image and lifestyle I will have for the next three years. I put a lot of pressure on today. I hoped I would make the right decisions. See, this is a totally new state, new school, new people and right now, I’m even living in a new house!
I’d just moved here from New Jersey last month. During the summer, my parents had told my brothers and me that we’d be moving because my dad got a job promotion and his company needed him to relocate to Albuquerque in New Mexico. So we’d packed up and moved here. Frankly, this place wasn’t so bad. The weather was pretty fine, and so was the public transportation.
We’re living in 1104 La Luz Trail in the North East quadrant (Sandia Heights) of Albuquerque, in this huge house with three floors. It’s a beautiful place, really. But the only reason why I’m so strung up is because I needed high school to be perfect. I wanted to go to Brooklyn College for Psychology, and it would be good to have a scholarship. That meant I had to get a lot of credits, but I didn’t want to be labelled a nerd.
Suddenly, I felt bad for the ultimate nerd in school. I wonder who it would be, and what he or she felt like. Then I drew myself out of it. What was I going to do?! I had to study really hard and either take up an AP class or get all ‘A’s, and I surely couldn’t do that! I knew I could squeeze quite a lot of credits if I managed to make it to the football team here at Albuquerque High School, but I wasn’t even sure of that either!
I sighed long and hard and then looked up at the clock. 5:15AM. Great! I still had more than an hour till school started, and it wasn’t that far away. I stood up and walked over to my mirror. Seeing my reflection in the mirror, I assessed my outfit for the thirtieth time. What did I look like in my white polo, black vest, grey skinny jeans and vans? Would I be considered a prep, nerd, jock or what?
A knock on my room door brought me out of my trance. I opened the door and stepped outside to see Kevin. “Hey bud, how’re you? Nervous?” He asked. I smiled slightly, feeling warmth spread through my body at my brother’s loving kindness. I know it sounds cheesy, but I just love my family. They’re possibly the best people on Earth.
“Not good, I’m not sure how I’ll look like, or appear to other people. I don’t want to be a nerd, you got it?” Kev apparently saw the worry in my eyes and closed his mouth, understanding my biggest concerns. “Look bro, I know you. You’re somehow going to land on the football team and be the kickass quarterback you always were, and get enough credits to go to Brooklyn while juggling a part-time job and snagging a girlfriend.” I opened my mouth to protest but he stopped me.
“Nick, I trust you. You’re going to have a great time in school today. Remember, I’m always here for you, man.” He thumped me twice on the shoulder and walked off, probably to go back to sleep. I stood there, spacing out. Thanks Kevin, I kept thinking, even as I walked down to have breakfast half an hour later.
“Thanks for the chocolate chip pancakes, mum.” I said, stuffing my breakfast into my mouth. She kissed the top of my head as I finished up, grabbed my backpack and went out the door, walking up the road to my new school. Hello Albuquerque!