The Pros and Cons of Loving

Part 21

This isn't sickness, don't get mad. It's more like the transistion out of it.


Three Weeks Later…
Aiden’s POV

I had gained five pounds and had finally had my feeding tube out last night. It had hurt worse than the first time if I remembered correctly. It was never nice though, I imagine, having a tube pulled out of your stomach through your nose.

“Aiden, are you up?” Dad whispered, opening my door. It was one o’clock I could see from my alarm clock yet I had just woke up.

I moaned quietly.

“How are you feeling?”

“I’m still hurting.” I said, sniffling.

He came over and climbed onto the bed. “I’m going to bring you some soup and you have to eat at least half a bowl, okay?”

“Dad, I’m in pain.” I moaned.

“You have to eat SOMETHING, Aiden. We aren’t letting this happen again.” He brushed some of my hair behind my ear.

I whimpered. “Everything hurts. It hurts to breathe.”

“I know, Aiden… I know. But you have to try…”

“Can I try in an hour?” I pleaded, desperately not wanting to eat. Anything but eat.

“No… you need to try now because you need to get in the habit of eating.”

I nodded and fell back asleep. Minutes later he was shaking me awake, telling me he had my soup. I tried to ignore him but he pulled me into a sitting position, grunting it wasn’t fair that I was bigger than him.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, glaring. He placed a spoon in my hand, sighing.

“Dad, this isn’t fair.” I muttered as he set the bowl on a tray.

“I know but now its not about what you want, but what you need.” Dad said, sitting by me. “C’mon, eat some.”

I sipped a spoonful of the soup from the bowl, closing my eyes. It burned going down and I began to cough.

“You’re almost past it so just… be patient.”

“I’ve been patient enough.” I muttered under my breath.

“I know.” Dad said, playing with my hair. “I know, babe.”