The Pros and Cons of Loving

Part 32

Eric’s POV

I broke the window to my old bedroom and climbed into my old abandoned house. It was cold and I’d run out without my jack on but I didn’t care. I sat in the corner of my room like a scared child, just crying. I had never been so cold and I quickly began to regret not getting a jack as I sat, only in a old t-shirt.

I don’t know how long I sat there but as it was turning dark I heard walking. In the house.

My bedroom door opened and I saw… Brooke.

“Hey.” She said, handing me a jacket. “You might need this.”

I didn’t care about being stubborn. I pulled my jacket on, shivering in the cold. “H-he send you to talk sense into me?”

“Kinda like how they sent you to talk sense into me.” She said nodding. She sat down by me and smiled sadly.

“It won’t work… h-he kissed Jesse.”

“I saw the paper.” She whispered.

I shook my head, tears filling my eyes again. “I… just… you know Gerard did the same thing to Frank and Frank was so miserable after that… I can’t let that happen to me, Brooke.”

“Remember how you told me I was bitter and scared? That I had something good and I was throwing it away because of my past?” she asked quietly. “Well you’re doing the same thing. Aiden made a mistake… but he loves you. And you know what; you may never find that again.”

“So what I’m supposed to do what you did? Y-you’re going to leave and I’m going to go be with Aiden and pretend it never happened? Pretend it doesn’t matter that he kissed someone else behind my back?” I scoffed.

“It depends. Do you want to win an argument and be alone forever?” she asked. “That’s a little petty seeing as after he took you back after you broke up with him. He was sick, Eric. And he still is… you know better than anyone that he hasn’t been himself lately. And you know what…. One fucking kiss when he’s with you is better than all the fucking kisses you had when you guys were split up. He was messed up in his head. You did it just to spite him…”

“I didn’t… well, I…” I began.

“What? You were out making out with guys and you knew he was so bummed by it… listen, Eric… my point is, everyone makes mistakes. Don’t let… don’t let one of Aiden’s ruin your relationship. You proposed to him for a reason… and that reason wasn’t to give up on everything... plus, Jesse’s got black hair. I’ve known Aiden a while and trust me, he likes blondes better.”

I shivered and looked at the door.

“Can I send Aiden in?” Brooke asked quietly.

“No.” I said.

She got an annoyed face. “Eric, hon—.”

“I’m gonna go home. We can work it out there.”

Brooke smiled happily, hugged me, and ran out.