The Pros and Cons of Loving

Part 45

Aiden’s POV

Anger flooded through me as Eric continued to cry. I laid him gently in the back seat and Asher—who usually rode home with us anyway—hopped into the driver’s seat.

“Where are the keys?”

“Baby, where are the keys?” I asked, brushing hair from Eric’s eyes.

“M-my pocket.”

I used the sleeve of my hoodie to wipe the dried blood from under his nose. His lip trembled and I kissed him gently, guilt flooding through me.

Kyle.

That’s how I knew this was about me. He’s always trying to rile up shit, but mine and Eric’s relationship had been kept quiet… until we got married. Once that happened, everyone knew about us. To those who hadn’t known us, before we got married, we had just looked like close friends. We hadn’t acted lovey just because of people like Kyle.

This was all my fault. Kyle had been pissed since I stood up for Bella when we were in middle school. I t was just sheer ‘luck’ he had moved here after Dad and I did when my parents got divorced.

Kyle had used my one weakness to get to me. And now Eric is lying here, bleeding and hurt. Maybe badly. Solely because of me.

“Why Eric?” Asher asked, driving quickly towards our house. “I mean, he has to be the nicest person in our school…”

“Kyle hates me. Everyone knows that.” I said quietly, kissing Eric’s hand. “The back of his head is bleeding, Asher… I’m going to kill Kyle.”

“Don’t get yourself in trouble.” Asher sighed, pulling into our driveway at long last.

I gently lifted Eric up and slowly carried him inside, hearing his barely audible whimpers in my ear.

“Aiden, what happened?” Dad gasped rushing over. He had been coming downstairs and flattening his hair when we walked in.

“Kyle Jenkins.” I said, not even wanting to know why he looked so disheveled. “Can someone run water? I need to get him cleaned off and see what’s wrong.”

I was trying to act calm and collected but I wasn’t. I wanted to know why Eric was being so quiet, why Kyle had done this to him. I wanted to know why Kyle picked him… no, I knew why… but why did he hate me that much? To hurt Eric? The only person Eric has ever been rude to is me and most of the time I deserve it when he is.

Dad nodded and rushed off.

“Eric, wake up… c’mon, say something.” I whispered, shaking Eric slightly. He just whimpered, his arms loosely wrapping around my neck. “Eric, please… just tell me where you’re hurt.”

He wince in pain as I walked towards the bathroom. Dad had run water and when I walked in he was putting towels and a first aid kit by the tub, looking anxious.

“Is he okay?”

“I don’t know.” I bit my lip. “Dad, I need to get him in the tub. Can you help me undress him?”

“Yeah.” Dad nodded. “Of course.”

“Eric, I need Dad to help me get you undressed, okay? Just down to your boxers.” I whispered.

Eric nodded pitifully.

Dad gently lifted Eric’s shirt off, looking at me worriedly. There was an awful bruise forming on Eric’s torso. I took a deep breath, trying to remain calm.

“Eric, I’m going to undo your pants now.” Dad whispered.

Eric gave another small nod. Dad then gently pulled his pants off.

I got Eric into the water and took a washcloth, wiping all of the blood from his face. He seemed to wake up a bit in the water and his eyes focused on me.

“Are you alright?”

“No.” he whispered.

I glanced at Dad, biting my lip.

“Where are you hurt, Eric?” Dad seemed to be taking over.

“My st… stomach. No, above my stomach.”

“Where the bruise is?”

Eric looked down and cringed. “Yes…”

“Lets get him cleaned off and I’m going to get Gee in here… we may need to take him to the emergency room.” Dad whispered to me.

“Emergency room?” Eric gasped out, and then winced.

“Just to make sure. I’m sure nothing is wrong.” Dad assured him, but I knew something was wrong. Eric’s eyes were beginning to droop. “Hey, stay awake… talk to him, Aiden. Lets get him out now.”

“Dad, what’s wrong?” I hissed.

“He can’t focus, Aiden… did he hit his head?”

I felt the back of his head, still bloody. “Yes…” I whimpered.

“Shit.” Dad cursed under his breath.

“Dad?”

“Keep. Him. Awake.” Dad muttered, then ran off. “GERARD! WE NEED YOU IN HERE NOW!”

I looked down at Eric, suddenly horrorstricken worse than before. What had made Dad freak out like that?

Eric’s eyes closed and I shook him. “Eric, wake up.”

He whimpered and his eyes fluttered open. “I’m tired, Aiden…”

“I know, honey… but you have to stay up.” I got some water in my hand and wet his face gently. “Open your eyes for me… no, don’t close them…”

His eyes opened again and he focused on me.

“Hey beautiful.” I whispered, touching his cheek. “I’m going to get you out now, alright? Want in your pajamas?”

He nodded and I stood him up, getting him carefully out of the tub.

It then occurred to me about work, but I didn’t care. Fuck the stupid job. Eric needed me now more than they did. “Eric, open your eyes.” I said as his eyes closed again.

They snapped open and he looked around. This time both of my dads came into the room. Asher was gone, I guess. He wasn’t in here and therefore he was out of my mind.

“I called the ER and they said to bring him in just in case.” Dad said. “He could have a concussion or worse. They did say to keep him awake. Let Gee and I get him to the car and you get his papers.”

I nodded and handed Eric to my father. After quickly getting Eric dressed in his favorite pajamas, they headed downstairs and I could hear Eric whimpering for me. I rummaged through our folders quickly until I found the manila one I was looking for.

When I got outside Daddy was in the back seat with Eric, who was slowly saying something. I couldn’t make out his words because his speech was slurred.

“W-what’s wrong with him?”

“Aiden, don’t freak out… but he coughed up blood.”

“W-What?” I asked, climbing into the car next to Eric.

“Aiiiiiden.” He slurred, looking at me.

“Frankie, drive.” Daddy said.

Dad, who was in the driver’s seat, began driving…

Two Hours Later…

“He has 2 cracked ribs.” A balding man in a white jacket told me.

I sat next to Eric on the bed. He was asleep and his head rested against my shoulder. He’d gotten progressively worse in the car and I’d freaked out when he’d began spitting up bubbles of blood—much like the last time we’d brought him to the hospital.

“He also has a slight concussion. The CAT scan we gave him confirmed it. He’s pretty sedated right now from the medication we put him on during the CAT scan, but he’ll be fine in a few hours. He’ll be in pain for a week or two. He’ll need to take off school, work, anything. I want him in bed. Even thinking will hurt his head. I’m having trouble checking the level of his concussion because of his rib injury. Normally I would have him do physical tests, like running in place. But I can’t do that. He lost consciousness twice, but both times were under two minutes…”

I nodded.

“I’m going to wake him up now and ask him some questions. It may help, though, if you wake him up… a familiar face. He probably won’t remember the fight.”

I nodded and gently shook Eric. His eyes fluttered open and I smiled. “Hey.”

“Hey.” He said in a slurred voice.

I brushed hair from his eyes and sighed, looking at the doctor.

“Do you know who you are?” The doctor asked Eric, kneeling down to meet his eyes.

“Eric.” He slurred.

“Very good, son. Where are you?”

“I don’t know…” Eric looked around. “A hospital?”

“Good.” The doctor smiled, standing. “Do you know what day it is?”

Eric looked up at me. “Aiden, what’s on going?”

“What?”

“What’s on going?” he repeated.

“He’s very confused right now.” The doctor told me. “His speech will be off for a while.”

“Who’s the president?”

“We don’t have one. It’s Canada.” Eric whined.

I laughed, kissing Eric’s cheek. “I love you so much, baby.”

He whimpered. “Was I in an accident?”

“Baby, don’t you remember the fight?”

He shook his head, and then moaned.

“Eric, we have to set your ribs in place. We’re going to put you under medicine to do this.”

“B-but… what?” Eric asked, his face showing utter confusion.

“Baby… the fight…”

“What fight?” he gasped. “Are you okay?”

“How long is he going to be like this?” I whispered, stroking Eric’s hair.

“He’ll get better as time goes by… its untelling how long. Each case varies.” The doctor said. “Now I’m putting some medicine to sedate him in his IV. If he moves, with broke ribs, he could puncture a lung.”

My eyes widened in horror.

“It may be easier if you… weren’t here. This wont be easy to… well, we’ll call you back into the room in a few minutes, Mr. Iero.”

I sighed and went out into the waiting room, sliding down the wall outside of the door. I saw Daddy coming over and he sat down by me, sighing.

“What’s wrong with him?”

“Concussion and some broken ribs… Daddy, this is… this is all my fault.” I sighed and twisted my wedding ring around my finger. “If I hadn’t been talking I would’ve been there to stop it…”

“Aiden, no… this was gong to happen, regardless of where you were.”

“You’re wrong… because Kyle won’t fight me. He’s a pussy. He fights those who can’t fight back… and Eric didn’t. And now he’s hurt, Daddy… he can’t even remember. He thought I was hurt, Daddy. When I told him there was a fight! Daddy, he never thinks of himself… I can’t stand it!” I suddenly collapsed into tears. “Why does he always worry about me? I-I caused this. He should be mad at me…”

“Because that boy loves you more than anyone… anything. And it just makes him more special… he’s like your angel, ya know?” Daddy whispered.

“I’m supposed to protect him and I didn’t…”

“You got him home. You got him to a hospital and he’s being seen too… you did all you could. He expects nothing more.”

“Because he’s too nice! He should expect more! If he wasn’t so goddamn nice he would have fought back!” I said angrily, but my anger wasn’t geared at Eric. Not one bit of it.

“Aiden, don’t do this… you need to stay calm for your husband, alright? He needs you right now…”

I sighed in frustration, tears sliding down my pale cheeks. “I just… hate seeing him so hurt, Daddy… it makes me feel like I’m a bad boyfriend… a bad husband…”

“Hey, you aren’t… you’re here for him and you got him help. Instantly. Listen… you and Eric, you’re… both of you look out for each other… listen, Aiden… I’m sure Eric will be fine… the doctors weren’t lying. You’re an adult now, they would tell you. But they told you he’d be fine and he will be.”

“I just want everything to be okay, Dad…” I whispered.

“High school will be over soon… then it gets better… I promise.”

Early The Next Morning…
Eric’s POV

I wanted to talk right. It was there… I just couldn’t. Everything I said came out messed up or slurred. My leg and hand keeps twitching, I can’t sit up, and Aiden is clearly freaking out. I just want to tell him I’m okay but every time I open my mouth its like I’m speaking latin.

“I think he is good to go home.” My doctor told Gerard.

I frowned and looked straight at Aiden, pleadingly.

“What, babe?” he whispered, kissing me gently.

“I love you.” I slurred and then frowned again. I didn’t even feel a doctor removing my IV but instead I was being placed in Aiden’s arms. It threw me off and I got dizzy and cried out in shock, my arms going around his neck. I looked around the room and Gerard smiled reassuringly at me.

I burrowed my face in Aiden’s neck, whimpering softly.

Everything was a daze and I couldn’t remember going home at all. I couldn’t even remember leaving the room. All I remember is throwing up on mine and Aiden’s bed and Gerard quickly getting me of the bed before I rolled into it.

I threw up more onto the floor, narrowly missing Gerard’s feet. Aiden was getting the sheets off of our bed and Frank was already cleaning the mess on the floor.

I whimpered into Gerard’s chest and felt him holding me up. I was shaking uncontrollably and felt like utter shit. My head was pounding worse than it ever had and it was like I could think of nothing but wanting that pounding to stop.

“Aiden, get Eric and I’ll do that.” Gerard whispered.

Aiden nodded and came over to me, picking me up and cradling me to him. The next thing I remember was waking up in the living room with Frank at my side, asleep.

I sat up, wincing, and looked around. It was two. I rubbed my eyes and lay back down, in too much pain to get up and properly move.

The room began to spin and I struggled to sit up, my arms shaking. My head was pounding and I looked around. I knew where I was… I just didn’t know how I got here…

“Aiden?” I called out quietly, causing Frank to wake up.

“Eric, hey.” He said, sitting up. “How are you feeling?”

“What happened?” I asked. “Where’s Aiden? What’s going on?”

“You have a concussion.” He said gently, easing me down.

“I want Aiden.” I whimpered, sitting up. “Where is he?”

“I’ll get him, okay?” he whispered, lying me back down.

He left and I rested my head on the pillow, looking around. I felt high, completely fucking dazed.

“Hey, Eric.” Aiden kneeled down by me.

“Where’d you come from?” I asked, eyes widening.

He stroked my cheek. “I was sleeping. How do you feel?”

“I’m okay.” I smiled. “Aiden, was I in an accident?”

“Don’t you remember the fight baby?”

My eyes widened. “Fight?! Are you okay?”

He cradled me to him and I took in his scent, relaxing against him… why did my head hurt so much?

Gerard’s POV

Frank climbed into bed and curled into me, yawning tiredly. I slid my arms around him and stroked his stomach, opening my eyes.

“What time is it?” I asked sleepily.

“Midnight. Eric’s just fallen asleep, but Aiden’s gonna stay with him at nights.” He responded.

I trailed my hand down his stomach and then slid my hand up his shirt. “Mmhm.”

“Gee, are you sure you wanna fool around? It’s late.”

“Yeah and I’ll be fifty soon. Don’t you want to have sex?”

He nodded. “I do but… I mean Aiden’s up, he might hear.”

“He’s got a husband of his own, believe me he knows we have sex. And the older we get, the less we’re going to have it.” I sat up, pulling him up as well.

“I know that, Gee… and I want to have sex. I just don’t know if we should, with Eric so sick. Wouldn’t you feel guilty?”

“Uhm, no… are you wanting me to invite Eric?” my eyebrow arched.

“I’m serious.” He bit his lip. “I’m just worried about Eric and Aiden…”

“They’re big boys… I feel as bad as you but life can’t stop because Eric’s hurt. He’s alright, okay? And you’re so fucking tense.” I kissed Frank’s neck, causing him to moan happily.

“Fine, you win… this time.”

I tugged his t-shirt off of him, kissing down his chest.