Watashi wa Genki!

And Off We Go...

Plane trips are boring, really boring.

“Are we there yet” Alice sighed as we sat down, Becky laughed and shook her head.

“Seven hours and then maybe I can answer that” She answered, I smiled because finally we were all heading to live in Japan. That’s right, live! We were all incredibly excited.

“I wonder what the food is like near our house” exclaimed Becky all of a sudden, all of us sat down and thought about it as we were taking off.

“I hope there’s ramen, I’ll happily eat that every night” I said rubbing my stomach, I mean its just a bonus Japanese culture has Japanese food which is delicious.
All of us sighed in happiness as the air hostess came out to do the safety demonstration. I don’t think any of us really paid attention to the fact it may save our lives because we’d seen it all too many times before.

“I think I’m gonna drift off soon guys” said Alice, I nodded and laid back myself. We all had our reasons to come, Becky had earned a scholarship to Tokyo Arts University in Tokyo, I had an apprenticeship as a clothing designer and Alice decided to tag along to live with us and earn a living in Japan.

“Do you think the apartment will be Western style or Japanese?” Becky asked me leaning back next to me.

“Hmmm I really don’t know, I’d love it to be more Japanese style but I guess pickers cant be choosers with half price rent” I said turning to her, she nodded and stared up at the roof of the plane.

“Maybe it’ll be a mix of both” she laughed. The plane was eerily silent except for a few business men typing on their laptops, I decided sleeping would make the time fly faster so I leant my head to the side and started to doze off.

It’s a blur as I open my eyes, hearing faint loud noises in the background.

“-ing in Tokyo Airport, please fasten seatbelts and make sure your seat is upright, please enjoy your stay in Japan”

“Eugh” a simultaneous moan came from sleeping Alice and Becky, both had fallen asleep as I had.

“We there yet?” yawned Alice and rubbed her eyes.

“I’m assuming so” replied Becky, straightening her top and hair and pulling the seat forward. I immediately felt awake as the glowing lights of Tokyo grew larger and larger. Becky leaned over me and grinned, Alice was trying her best to see but aisle seat wasn’t very fun.

“It looks amazing doesn’t it Hannah?” she said, pink hair falling over her shoulders, Becky’s hair was her pride. Long lustrous and fluro pink, its unmistakable by anyone who comes across her.

“Yeah, definitely” I said, we all sat upright as the plane landed. Its always the worst part of the plane ride besides the long wait. All of us had been looking forward to this for so long, we packed our lives away into boxes and suitcases and here we are. Boarding off the plane I think we all gasped so much we coughed, it was nighttime in Tokyo and everything was alight.

“Wow…Just wow” Alice exclaimed as we walked along the tarmac, dragging a few bags with us. Walking into the airport was hectic, I thought Sydney Airport was busy but this is insane!

“Luggage rack here…” Becky pointed to the people from our flight wandering over there, dragging our already full hands to the rack we wait for our bags to come.
Looking around really makes you feel a bit out of place, being some of the only Caucasians around is quite intimidating. The bags finally come so lugging them out to find a taxi was quite difficult. Becky was the only one with a spare hand so she reached out almost her whole body until successfully she hailed a taxi.

“Apartment 2 Yukiyo, Meguro Kudasai” Becky piped as she sat in the front seat, exhausted from shoving luggage in me and Alice clambered into the back as we jetted off to the apartment.

An hour and a half later we finally reach the place we will now call home, it was in a small block of nice apartments of course western looking from the outside.

“Eeee!” I heard Alice squeal as Becky paid the taxi driver, I pulled my luggage up and smiled at it. The building was a light blue with white doors and only 3 other apartments and we were on the second floor.
There was a garage next to the apartment building where the car I got shipped over here a few months ago should be residing. Although we had some stairs to climb inside would be a 3 bedroom apartment with a kitchen, lounge room, bathroom and spare room.

“Up we go cmon hurry up!” Becky was dragging her huge suitcases up the stairs, Me and Alice hurriedly ran after her.

“Hold your horses I have the key!” I said racing up after her, Alice whimpering trying to pull the remainder of the bags up the small flight of stairs.

“Cmon I want to see!” exclaimed Becky as I reached the top and pulled out the key, we all stood around the door as I put it in and turned it. It clicked softly as I opened the door and we peered in, it wasn’t huge but it wasn’t small either. The owner must have taken our boxes in as they were stacked up in the hallway which was what you immediately walked into, you took your shoes off at the step up into the house.

“Looks good…part westernish part Japanese” said Becky as we slipped our shoes off and stepped in, after the hallway you reached the dining room which lucky for us our apartment was furnished with a table, chairs and just behind the table was the kitchen. I’m guessing we’ll have to buy our own fridge though.
Exploring more of the apartment was the Rokujo aka the sitting room, right next to the dining room and a cupboard was at the back of it. We all found our rooms with boxes in it that were off the hallway, we were very lucky to find a 3K Apartment so close into the Tokyo city. The bathroom was small but I don’t think any of us really spend hours in there.

“Time to start unpacking I guess” I said as I pulled a Stanley knife out and opened up a few boxes for the kitchen. Putting away bowls and cups and plates its just a little surreal, Becky’s unpacking all the ridiculous stuff we have.

“Maybe we should leave this till tomorrow, it is 2am” I said yawning profoundly, putting away another cup.

“I guess so, I mean we have to do shopping for food and appliances tomorrow” said Becky also hiding a yawn, she got up and looked into our rooms.

“Looks like we’ll be sleeping on futons tonight, the owner I think left 3 for us but we have to return them and buy our own..” she then yelled from her room, what a nice guy I thought as I walked into mine.

“Well, Goodnight” said Alice making her way into hers and closing the door after her. She gets cranky when she’s tired, Becky waved a weary goodnight as she walked into her room.

“Time to sleep” I said to myself and closed my door unfolding the futon I lay my head on the pillow and looked up at the ceiling. New life, new day, I was now excited but exhausted. Closing my eyes I thought of what tomorrow would bring as I drifted off to sleep.