A Dad's Struggle

Stay Awake

The days came and went by blurs. Gerard was too weak to notice. It had been a week since he was admitted. His eyes were glassed over with a fever and he tried talking, but he could only make rasping noises. His thorat hurt, and he was freezing.

A nurse came in.

"Mr. Way? How are you feeling?"

Gerard lifted is hand and put it on his head.

"Bad," He choked out.

The nurse felt his forehead, it was very warm. She went to a cabnit and grabbed a digital thermomoter.

"Keep this under your tounge, OK?"

Gerard nodded.

He sat there, waiting for the thermomoter to be taken out. Finally it beeped. The nurse took it and looked at the numbers : One-oh-Four-point-five.

"Shoot," She mumbled.

Gerard lifted his head.

Suddenly his eyes rolled back and he started shivering feverishly.

"Oh, crap. Someboy get House over here!" She yelled. Another nurse paged House.

Gerard was very pale, almost white. He couldn't see anything. He was scared.

House ran it.

"What?"

"His fever spiked to 104.5, and he started shivering."

House grabbed some cooling blankets, and threw them on Gerard.

Gerard started to lose conciousness.

"Come on!" House yelled. "Stay awake!!"

Gerard was getting hot with all the blankets on him. Was that normal? They were cooling blankets though.

Ice packs were thrown onto him, they were trying to lower his tempature. The number dropped. 103.2. Then it rose. 105.3. They were fluctuating.

Gerard was slipping in, and out, of conciousness. The whole room was blurry. Then black. Then blurry.

The number finally settled to 102.5 and Gerard passed out in his bed.

House grabbed a phone, and called Lindsey.

"Mrs. Way?"

"Yes?["/i]

"Your husband Gerard...he.."

"What?"

"He's gotten worse. His fever spiked to 104.5, and he kept losing conciousness."

"No!"

"I think you should come and see him."

The line clicked dead.

_________________________________________________________________________

Lindsey rushed into Gerard's room.

"Gerard!" She gasped, looking at her husband. She could see the blood running through his veins. He ws pale, and he had a heart monitor.

House walked in and gave her gloves. She put them on and held Gerard's hand.

"Its OK, Gee..." She whisperd. "I'm here."

Gerard's heart rate jumped. There were also tubes running down his throat. He couldn't breathe on hsi own, the illness had talken its toll.

Lindsey pulled out her cell.

"Mikey? Gee's really, really sick. I need you to come here." She whispered.

_______________________________________________________________

Mikey ran in and looked at his brother.

"Lindsey? What happened?"

"Gerard's fever spiked, he's too sick to breate on his own..." She whispered.

Mikey hugged her and they watched Gerard's lifeless body.