Love and Conspiracy

One of My Lies.

Once again we pulled up to the graffiti covered house and Mike honked for Tre to come out. However, this time a girl followed him to the car. After Mike rolled down the window, Tre excitedly asked, “Can Carrie stay the night with us since it’s our last night here?” My stomach twisted as I was reminded that this dream life was going to end soon.

“What about her parents?” Mike asked.

“She told them that she’s staying at a friend’s house!” Tre replied as if the answer weren’t obvious enough. Mike hesitated for a moment.

“Yeah, I guess so.”

Tre jumped in happiness as he finally revealed the face of this mysterious girl. I immediately recognized the bright blue hair. We went to school together and I had seen her around every now and then. Once they climbed into the car, my heart started to race; I realized that she might recognize me, too. I didn’t want Mike to find out that I lied to him.

“Guys this is Carrie. Carrie, this is Mike and Lucy,” she quickly waved at us before her and Tre started to make out in the back seat.

“Okay then…” Mike mouthed to himself as he drove away for the last time. “So, where are we going?” he asked. Tre pulled himself away from the girl and leaned over into the front seat.

“We’ve got goodies!” He sang throughout the car as he pulled out a baggy from his pocket. The smell made it evident that it was weed. Mike chuckled.

“To the motel then?” Mike asked. Tre nodded ferociously before he went back to sucking face.

~~~

As soon as we got back to the motel, Tre raced upstairs with Carrie right behind him. He was obviously in a hurry since by the time Mike and I made it up to the room, he was already rolling a joint and about to light it up. After he took a long drag from it, he offered it to me. I politely shook my head since I was in no mood to be in that state of mind at the moment. Mike surprisingly rejected the offer, too.

After about fifteen minutes, Tre and Carrie finally finished off the joint and were clearly out of it. They continuously laughed about the smallest things; Mike and I were entertained simply by watching them. However, a few minutes later Carrie started to stare at me.

“What’s your name again?” she asked, carefully looking at me.

“It’s Lucy,” I replied. I began to fear what she was going to say next. All of a sudden, she started to point at me and smile.

“Oh my god, you go to my school! You’re the girl who went out with that pretty boy… uh, what was his name… Skylar? Scout? No… Scott! That’s it! You went out with Scott!” she said excitedly. Mike looked over at me with a confused expression.

“I thought you didn’t know what college you were going to yet?” he asked me. Carrie answered for me.

“College?! Pfft, we’re in high school, buddy boy!” she said before laughing hysterically. I closed my eyes, feeling shame go throughout my body. When I opened my eyes again, Carrie was on top of Tre and they were making out again.

“You wanna get out of here?” Mike asked me. I nodded, knowing what he wanted to talk about.

~~~

Once we got outside I could feel the tension in the air.

“Why didn’t you say you were in high school?”

“You never asked,” I stated.

“So, you’re a nineteen-year-old still in high school?” he said flatly. I shook my head. “How old are you, Lucy?” he asked. I looked down at the ground and remained silent for a minute.

“Seventeen,” I finally said quietly.

“Why did you lie to me then?”

“I figured that if I told you how old I really was, then you wouldn’t want to hang out with me,” I admitted.

“Seventeen isn’t that much younger, Luce,” he said taking a step closer to me, “Age doesn’t matter to me. Hell, look at Tre! He’s going out with a seventeen-year-old and he doesn’t give a shit.” I smiled as he continued, “What makes me and you hanging out any different?” I shrugged. “Nothing,” he answered, pulling me into a hug. I hugged him back.

We stood there holding each other for a good couple minutes before I pulled away and asked, “You want to go for a drive?”

“Sure,” he said with a smile before we got into the car. “Where do you want to go?” he asked.

“South Mountain,” I replied.

~~~

After driving for another half an hour, we finally reached the top of the mountain. Luckily, we got there right on time; the sun was setting. The sky swirled with all sorts of magnificent colors as the sun slowly disappeared over the horizon.

“Wow,” Mike said, staring at the scene. He got out and sat on the hood of his car as he continued to look over the city view.

“Amazing, isn’t it?” I said, joining him on the car, “I used to come here all the time with my mom.” He looked over at me.

“Used to?” he questioned.

“Yeah,” I paused, “she’s been really busy with work lately.” I mentally kicked myself for lying to him again. However, I couldn’t bare the reactions and fake pity people gave when they had no idea what I really went through, so I just avoided it at all costs.

“That’s too bad. She’s missing out,” he said, smiling and looking back to the city.

“Yeah, she is,” I whispered to myself.