Vinyl Records:

Headset

After a brief pause, I picked up the conversation again. It felt odd not hearing the other person talk, and I just nodding once in a while, showing them that I agreed on whatever they said, even if I wasn't listening at all.

But it was my story. And I had to do all the talking, and watch Abigail write my stupid story on some small notebook that in 10 years from now, would be recycled into something else for the thirtieth time. I just had to suck it up and endure it. I'm a strong girl. 'Least I used to be.' I thought sadly and played with my hair for a bit. Stretching this as long as I could, I coughed nervously and looked at my lighter and started burning straws.

"After two months, I felt like something was missing. Something big. And I realized: I missed you. You have to understand, the friendship years with you marked me, because that's when my first taste of independence appeared. If I remember correctly, it was because of you that my parents let me out and let me walk to school for the first time. I'm still thankful to you for that." I said and smiled a guilty smile. 'Poor girl..'

"I called you one day and that's how it all started. You eagerly picked up the phone and had a nervous edge but still agreed to go watch a movie with me. And it went on like that for two months. Going to the movies every single day. That summer made my parents go so broke." I continued and chuckled. Abigail nodded her head and laughed a small laugh of her own. She was still thinking about the story. My story. "It wasn't because I was bored of Stella. Not at all. It's just that she lived so far away and went to the countryside a lot because of her parents. I needed to go out. I needed to escape from my home. Even though, looking back, it was much more welcoming back then." I paused and lit a cigarette again. Seems like I was smoking a lot these days.

"That's when, you asked me one day, after coming home, something along the lines of 'What will you do with Stella?'. I shrugged and tried to rack my brain for excuses, but I couldn't find any. I don't exactly know if that was the question you asked. It was a long time ago, but I distinctively remember you asking 'Who will be your best friend, then?' and I replied 'You?' with a nervous grin and begging eyes. You laughed." I said and looked into distance.

"Yeah, that's 'cause I couldn't believe you. After what you had done to me, you wanted to be my best friend again? I feared it was some prank." Abigail mumbled writing hurriedly.

"But you still said yes." I reminded her, smiling.

"Yeah." Came her reply. And after that a small silence took over us. Each was caught up in this strange past that dug into our souls so mercilessly.

"But after that, I called Stella. With you there. I explained the situation to her and she seemed to take it well. Better than I expected. It surprised me a bit, and it did to you too. But we got over it, and each of us had a year to feed off each other."

"Yeah. Sad how it only lasted one year, huh?"

I quietly nodded my head. I knew Stella would get revenge. And she did. But it didn't bother Abigail anymore. Did that bother me?
♠ ♠ ♠
"It's been 3 whole days since I've had sleep, cause i dream of his lips on your cheek."
-Mayday Parade