Unsolved Mystery

Resisting Is Always The Hardest Thing To Do

Chips of metal breezed through the air as a bullet pelted towards me at an extreme speed. At that moment time seemed to slow down and everything became blurred apart from the bullet itself, then everything suddenly became clear to me. I was obviously wanted for something. Something I probably knew about but didn’t let concern me. Besides, I was dead, why did I care? Well to be honest, I didn’t, I well and truly couldn’t have given a stuff… until now. Now a bullet was pelting towards me, even though I was a ghost and all. What worried me was how could these guys see me still, weren’t ghosts supposed to be invisible?

The bullet passed straight through me and I stared blankly at the two men in front of me. One still had the gun out stretched from his body and I didn’t understand why they seemed so inhuman. I was about to ask the tanned guy what on earth he was doing, shooting someone like that but before I could both men turned away and got back in the car. A few moments passed and then I heard the continuous bass line from the car’s speakers. I blinked a few times before placing myself back on the wall, which stared out at the glistening sea below.

The scent of fish and chips floated past my nose as I took a large sniff before sighing. A memory drifted into my head. I had suddenly remembered the time when Freddy had taken me down to the beach on a summer’s evening; we had fish and chips from that very store before setting down on the glorious sand to kick back and watch the waters chase the land. My gaze had turned dreamy and I nearly fell off the wall; memories had that effect on me. I scoffed before swiftly slapping my cheek to wake myself up and out of my daydream trance. My eyes finally stayed upon the glassy-like waters of the ocean I had once loved. Everything had changed now… I couldn’t bring myself to believe that I had missed so much in just a few years. My head was spinning as more terrible memories echoed in my mind. The voice stronger than ever, screaming hatred into my inner conscious, blood roaring in my ears. Is it possible to go even more insane, when you’ve already lost the plot?

As I tried to ignore the annoyances shrieking at me I rolled over the other side of the wall, letting my legs dangle off the edge. A sudden sickness overwhelmed me and I felt light headed, all the while the voice shrieking like a banshee. I crossed my legs and tried to concentrate on something floating in the water. It was bobbing up and down; it made me feel a twist of pain in my stomach. I doubled over in agony and let out a dry sigh. I shuffled around and gasped at the illusion before me.

My brother. Right there staring at me in pain again. I cursed at him and he slapped me down to the floor. I struggled to keep myself up against the wall but Freddy advanced on me at a lightning speed, knocking my last breath out of my feeble lungs. I slid down the wall and stared at him as I slumped up by the wall. Several stones were embedded in my palm and a hot rush of blood flushed over my face, ears and neck leaving me sweating furiously. The voice seemed to have gotten louder; so loud I couldn’t hear what it was even saying anymore. Just noise inside my head. I managed a laugh as Freddy peered down on me. My small laugh developed into a cackle as I lay there withering in pain. I began to mumble as I felt my soul slip away; even as I laughed I felt a hot tingle inside me. My soul was walking away from me like it had had enough of me already. I laughed even louder making Freddy back away silently. He looked worried and I grinned at him.

That’s when the bomb exploded…