Lake Creed

Losing grip

I covered my mouth as my eyes took in what was standing in front of me. Or to be more precise who was standing in front of me. My eyes widened even further as he moved towards me. He was alive; my dear little baby was alive. Yes that’s right, there standing in front of me was our dear Rufus. I had to do a double take of Rufus before I believed he was actually there, and then I literally jumped on him.

“Whoa Alywin take it easy. I’m ok.” Rufus laughed casually and I grabbed his cheeks, which made him look at me.

“How can I relax? Our youngest crew member goes missing and you’re telling me not to worry?” I pushed his head to mine and then continued. “I don’t know what I would have done if something had happened to you, or if “They” had caught you.” I took a deep breath and hugged him tightly. I opened my eyes only to find Fang grinning at me. I mouthed to him a big thank you and he signalled back it’s ok.

After I had let go of Rufus little old Max came waddling along. He seemed a little puffed out but no major damage had been done to him. Max seemed a little dazed when he walked up to the crew; something didn’t seem quite right with him.
“Max are you ok?” I asked breezily- now a lot calmer now Rufus was back with us. “You seem a little, I dunno, dazed.”

Max simply looked at me and then walked over to Fang and grabbed his hand. Fang looked down at Max and blinked slightly. Max had never really been close to any of us except Rufus. I frowned slightly and then pushed it to the back of my mind.

He’s just tired, that’s all, and it’ll pass. I decided to agree with my thoughts and then jumped back to reality with the rest of the crew. I must say this lake has got to be the best hideout, ever. Seriously if you’re ever on the run from a group of crazed, mental asylum scientists let me know. Nobody has ever noticed us here. We have a little lakeside hut, one hell of a lake and a beautiful forest surrounding us. It sounds all well and dandy but it really isn’t.

I didn’t know it at the time but all of this beautiful stuff was really deluded and that this place was going to send me insane along with the rest of my crew. The more I breathed in it’s ‘fresh air’, the longer I bathed in the lake’s ‘pure waters’, the harder I tried to stay sane; the more insane I became. Just the thought of it hurt. I turned my head slightly only to find everyone looking at me.

“What?” I uttered. Yet nobody answered me. My mind uttered several things to me. I shook my mind and tried to think of what was currently happening. I was slowly slipping into my thoughts when suddenly I heard a small bubbling from behind me. Everyone turned with me, trying to see what one earth had just bubbled.

I walked over to the waters’ edge and peered in. Then there was a sudden rush of water in my face with a hot blast of air too.

Before I knew it all of us were knocked out cold.