‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Congratulations, You've Graduated

Saturday June 25, 2016
Lexi’s Kindergarten Graduation
Joe’s POV


I had just brought Lexi to her classroom, all dressed up in a cute little sundress and her mortar board attached to her head. Now I was joining our family in our own row of seats, because that’s how many of us there were, to watch my daughter graduate kindergarten. This is a bittersweet day and I wish Lyss could be here but… that’s not possible. Physically at least. My mother was holding Jake as he slept, he always seemed to be able to sleep in her arms, while I got the video camera ready.

“Good morning everyone,” Mr. Geller said, standing at the podium. “We’d like to ask everyone to stand as our graduates enter.”

Lauren grabbed onto my arm smiling as Pomp and Circumstance began to play. I watched as Lexi and her classmates filed into the gymnasium wearing their matching yellow mortar boards. Miss Miller led them onto the stage and filed them into their seats before taking her spot at the podium.

“Good morning, welcome to the graduation ceremony of the Chilton Prep class of 2028.” She said smiling and everyone applauded. “Dear parents, I give you back your children, the same children you confidently entrusted to my care last fall. I give them back pounds heavier, inches taller, months wiser, more responsible, and more mature than they were then.

“Although they would have attained their growth in spite of me, it has been my pleasure and privilege to watch their personalities unfold day by day and marvel at this splendid miracle of development.

“I give them back reluctantly, for having spent nine months together in the narrow confines of a crowded classroom, we have grown close, have become a part of each other, and we shall always retain a little of each other.

“We have lived, loved, laughed, played, studied, learned, and enriched our lives together this year. I wish it could go on indefinitely, but give them back I must. Take care of them, for they are precious.

“Remember that I shall always be interested in your children and their destinies, wherever they go, whatever they do, whoever they become. Their joys and sorrows I will always be happy to share.”

I as well as the rest of the families attending applauded Miss Miller. She shyly stepped back allowing Mr. Geller forward.

“Would everyone please stand again for the Pledge of Allegiance.” He said. I then saw Lexi step forward and he brought the mic stand out to her.

“I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America,” she started, her hand over her heart. I smiled as she continued to lead her classmates and their parents. When she was done everyone applauded again, our row being loudest because of Lexi’s exuberant uncles.

“Now, the children would like to sing a song that they have practiced very hard with.” Miss Miller said, lining the kids up. I had helped Lexi practice this. Each child had one line for the song, each line being a letter. Lexi had G is for the good friends we made throughout the year. I recorded the entire song, making sure to get all of her friends.

Mr. Geller then took his spot at the podium to announce all the kids’ names. Miss Miller had the box of diplomas next to her. As each child came up the room burst into applause. Finally, Lexi was coming up next and I zoomed in on the video camera.

“Alexandra Lauren Jonas,” he said and a smiling Lexi stepped forward. Our entire row erupted in applause. Kevin, Nick, and Frankie were all standing up and whistling. I laughed as I heard Rob and Logan from their stations in the back applauding and shouting. I looked around and saw a lot of the parents standing up, a lot of them smiling at me, Mr. Geller and Miss Miller applauding loudly as well. I felt a lump in my throat as I looked around in acknowledgement at this wonderful school community. I hate that I’m pulling her away from here.

****

“Daddy!” I cried, running over to him when he walked into the cafeteria.

“Congratulations baby,” he said, picking me up and twirling me around.

“Lexi!” my family shouted, engulfing us in a big group hug.

“Look who’s here,” Daddy whispered, pointing over the shoulders of everybody.

“Yay!” I squealed, running over as he put me down. It was my other aunts and uncles. Uncle Johnny, Aunt Jodi, Uncle Jack, Auntie Beth, Uncle Ryan, Uncle Greggy, and Auntie Kristy! They all laughed as I danced around them.

“Did you have fun Lexi?” Gran asked, picking me up. I looked at her and Gramp and Grandma and Grandpa. Grandma and Grandpa were smiling but they also looked sad.

“Yeah, I liked singing with my friends. I wish Mommy was here though.” I said, pouting.

“We all do princess.” Grandpa said, taking me from Gran and hugging me.

“Ready to go home baby girl?” Daddy asked, taking me from Grandpa.

“Now? Do I have to say good-bye to everybody?”

“Nope,” he said, smiling. “Everybody’s coming to our house for a party.”

“A party?” I asked, excited.

“Yes ma’am. A party for you because you’re a big girl now.”

“Thank you Daddy!” I said, giving him a big hug. He picked up Jakey and all of my family left to go to my house. Uncle Logan and Uncle Robbie kept us safe from the camera people.

****

Joe’s POV

We were all strewn throughout the backyard eating cake and talking. I smiled as I watched Lexi and Brody playing with Lucky. Thoughts of Lyss flooded my mind and I felt an ache in my chest. She would be over there, by the tree, talking to our mothers’ with her camera in hand. Random flashes should be going off taking picture after picture.

“Excuse me,” I said, getting up from where I had been talking to Jack and Garbo.

I walked into the kitchen, closing the back door behind me and ran my fingers through my hair. I could feel the lump rising in my throat, the tears springing to my eyes. Deep breaths I told myself, closing my eyes. I slowly walked to the closet where I left Lyss’ camera. It was in a box… on the top shelf… in the way back. I reached up to take the box down and sat on the couch. The box sat on my lap waiting to be opened. With shaky hands I reached out and lifted the lid, pulling the camera out. I turned it over in my hands, her face instantly springing to my mind. Why…

“Joe?”

My head snapped up towards the direction of the voice, my eyes focusing on Nick. He stood in the doorway, half in the kitchen, half outside. I cleared my throat and stood up, camera still in hand.

“What’s up Nick?” I asked.

“Can you come outside? Lana and I have an… announcement to make.” He said and I nodded, following him outside. I sat down next to my mother, taking Jake from her. Nick walked over to Lana and wrapped his arm around her waist.

“Excuse us,” Nick said, loud enough to get everyone’s attention. Lauren picked up Brody and took Lexi’s hand bringing her onto the deck. I watched as she climbed up onto Kevin’s lap. “Lexi, if it’s okay with you, Auntie Lana and I have an announcement to make.”

“It’s okay.” She said, smiling and Nick nervously laughed.

“So… as all of you know, Lana and I have been trying to have a baby for the past year now. Unfortunately, we haven’t had much luck. So many tests came out negative. In December we decided that if we didn’t get pregnant in the next six months we would go for fertility treatments.”

“This month is the six month mark.” Lana said. “Unfortunately, we have had all negative results… until now.”

“So… what you’re saying is?” Mom asked and Nick and Lana exchanged a look.

“We’re going to have a baby!” they exclaimed together.

Everyone shouted and applauded, standing up to give hugs. I stayed seated since Jake had fallen asleep in my lap. Lana escaped the chaos and walked over to me. I reached my free arm out for a hug and she squeezed me tight.

“Congrats sis,” I said, smiling at her. She pulled another chair over and sat facing me. She took my hand in hers and looked at Jake.

“Joe… I know this may sound… strange, but Nick and I were wondering something.” She said and I nodded for her to continue. “If the baby’s a girl… we were hoping it would be okay with you… to name her Melissa.”

“Oh,” I said, taking a sharp breath… Not what I was expecting. “Um… yeah… s-sure. She would… she’d love that Lana.” I said, pulling her in for another hug. She kissed my cheek and walked back over to Nick. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her up for a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw congratulations to Lexi!!! AND Nick and Lana! They're finally pregnant!

Boy? Girl? Twins? Triplets? Sextuplets? Octuplets?... Miscarriage?

But aw... Joe... =[

So... the big question... where do you think Joe is going to move with Lexi and Jake?

Thank you so much for reading! All of the comments are awesome... I love them and most of all I love all of you. <3

C/R/S

~Steph <3