‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

The Jonas' in Stars Hollow

August 28, 2016
9:12 a.m.


I opened my eyes because it was really bright inside. The room I was in was really different. I almost forgot we were in a new house. Daddy wasn’t in the room… Jakey wasn’t either. Lucky was sleeping on the bed with me. When I stood up I saw arrows on the walls with my name under them. I smiled and followed the arrows. The arrows brought me to a staircase and pointed down. I heard someone in the kitchen and I was pretty sure it was Daddy. More arrows led me around corners and stopped in the kitchen. Daddy was whistling and cooking some breakfast.

“Hi Daddy,” I said, smiling when he turned around. He was wearing an apron and had a spoon his hand.

“Morning Ally-Baby. How did you sleep?”

“Fine… that bed was comfy.” I said, sitting at the table. Jakey was in his carrier on top of the table and he smiled when he saw me. “Whose room is that?”

“That was my room.” He said, bringing food over.

“When do I get to see my room?” I asked, taking a bite of egg.

“After breakfast. I’ll show you the whole house and outside and maybe we’ll drive into town or out to the beach.”

“There’s a beach here?” I asked excitedly.

“Yeah… on a lake. We should probably go shopping sometime soon to get you winter clothes. It’s going to get really cold here around Thanksgiving.”

“Cold enough for snow?”

“It will definitely be cold enough for snow.” He said laughing. “Now hurry up and eat, I don’t want your breakfast to be cold.”

****

“I’m done… can I see the house now?” I asked, standing up.

“Put your dishes in the sink.” Daddy said, taking Jakey out of his carrier. I put my plate and fork in the sink and held Daddy’s hand. He walked to the left and we walked into this really big room.

“Wow,” I whispered.

“This is the living room.” He said. “There’s our fireplace… and the TV will go there.”

“It’s so ginormous!” I said, looking around and Daddy laughed.

“What do you want to see next?”

“Um… Jakey’s room.” I said, jumping up and down.

“Alright, little Jakey’s room.” He said. We went upstairs this time. Daddy opened a door near his room and I walked inside.

“Wow Daddy… you were busy this morning.” I said, walking around Jakey’s room.

“I woke up really early.” He said, holding Jakey so he could look around. “What do you think Jakey? You like it?”

I looked at Jakey and he was looking around with big eyes. He smiled and so did Daddy.

“I think he likes it Daddy.”

“I think he does too.” Daddy said. “Now… do you want to see your room or the bathroom?”

“My room! My room!” I said. I was really excited to see my room. Daddy laughed and went down the hallway to another door. He slowly opened it and I walked in.

“Daddy it’s so pretty. I love it!” I cried jumping onto the bed. “Thank you!”

“You’re welcome sweetie.” He said, kissing my forehead.

“Can I see the bathroom now?” I asked.

“If you really want to. It’s across the hall.” He said, pointing out the door.

“Daddy I love this house. I loved our old house more but… this one isn’t bad.” I said, walking back to Daddy and Jakey.

“Good. As long as you’re happy.” He said.

****

September 2, 2016

“Hey baby girl, want to go into town today?” Daddy asked, waking me up.

“Yeah!”

After breakfast I went and got dressed and then went downstairs to wait for Daddy. He carried Jakey to the car and the three of us went into town leaving Lucky behind. All the stores in town were really close together. Daddy parked near the beach and I got out and looked around me while he got Jakey. I took Daddy’s hand and we walked down the street.

“We have to get you stuff for school.”

“Can I get a new backpack?”

“Sure.” He said, walking into a store. People looked at us while we shopped. When we went up to pay there was a lady behind us.

“Excuse me,” she said, tapping Daddy on the shoulder. “You must be the new family. I’m Madeline Maguire.”

“Hi,” Daddy said, shaking her hand and smiling. “I’m Joe Jonas, this is my daughter Alexandra and my son Jake.”

“Hi Alexandra,” she said, bending down and shaking my hand.

“You can call me Lexi.” I said, smiling at her.

“Well Lexi it looks like you did quite the shopping.”

“Yeah I had to get stuff for school. I’m going to be in first grade.”

“Oh really? You must be in my class then. I’m the first grade teacher at the Stars Hollow Elementary school.”

“What a small world isn’t it Lexi?” Daddy said smiling at me.

“Yupp.” I said.

“So, is there a Mrs. Jonas?” Miss Maguire asked.

“Oh,” Daddy said quietly. “I thought pretty much everyone knew.”

“Knew what?”

“Don’t you know who we are?” he asked.

“Only what I know since I’ve met you.”

“Wow… this really is a small town.” He said. “Um… I’m Joe Jonas of the Jonas Brothers from a few years back… my wife passed away about three months ago.”

“Oh I’m so sorry.” She whispered.

“It’s alright. If you could do us a favor though? Don’t let it spread who we are… there’s a reason I moved this far away.”

“Of course.” She said smiling. “Well I’ll leave you three to get used to town. I will see you next week Lexi. Goodbye.”

“Bye,” I said waving.

****

Wednesday, September 7, 2016
Lexi’s first day of school
Joe’s POV


“Daddy… can you stay with me?” Lexi asked. We were standing outside the doors to her classroom. I knelt down to her level and put my hands on her face. She was so nervous.

“Honey, Jake and I can’t stay. I have to go advertise my new job… you have to stay here and learn.” I said, referring to my self employed photography business. Yes… photography. I have all of Lyss’ old equipment and I might as well put it to good use since I’ve always been interested in photography.

“But I don’t want you to go.” She pouted, throwing her arms around my neck.

“Baby you’ll be fine. Look, there’s Miss Maguire and all of the kids in your class. You’re going to make a lot of friends.”

“I don’t want new friends. I want my old friends. I want Rachel and Sean and Amanda, and… and…”

“Sh,” I said, rubbing up and down her back. “Trust me you’ll be alright. I have to go now. Have a good day. I love you.” I said, kissing her forehead. I ushered her in her classroom where Miss Maguire welcomed her. She showed Lexi to her seat and walked over to me.
“Hi,” she said. “She looks like she doesn’t want to be here.”

“Yeah… she really doesn’t.” I said, looking over her shoulder and watching Lexi as she took off her backpack looking around. She looked so scared. “Look… I really don’t want to leave her but I have to. Can you try to make things easy for her?”

“I’ll do my best.” she said. “You enjoy your day.”

“I’ll try… thanks.” I said, turning with a wave, picking up Jake’s carrier.

Once outside I took a deep breath and looked around. Across from the school were the post office and the bank. What better place to start advertising than there. I had printed off flyers the night before and I had them resting on top of Jake’s blanket. I went into the bank first and smiled at the old woman behind the counter.

“Good morning dear. You must be new in town I don’t recognize your face. And let me tell you I know every face in this town.”

“Yes I am. I’m Joe Jonas.” I said, shaking her hand.

“I’m Marianne Davies. Who’s this little fellow?” she asked peeping over at Jake.

“This is my son Jake. I also have a daughter, Alexandra. She’s a first grader at the elementary school.”

“Ah, her first day in a new school. Is she nervous?” she asked, tipping her glasses down to look at me.

“Very.” I said, shaking my head. “Well I’m here for two reasons.”

“Right, sorry for delaying you dear. How can I help you?”

“First, I’d like to set up an account here and transfer some money from my previous account.”

“Only some?” she asked while typing at the computer.

“Yes, the rest I’ll put into the family account back home.”

“And what’s the second thing dear?”

“Would it be alright with you if I put up a flyer for my business on your corkboard?” I asked picking one up to show her.

“Go right ahead.” She said smiling at me and waving to the board. “So… you’re a photographer?”

“Yes ma’am. My wife used to be a professional and since she passed I decided I wouldn’t let her equipment go to waste. I’ve always loved photography and I decided to put my skills to the test.”

“I’m so sorry about your wife. If you don’t mind my asking… how long ago did she pass?”

“Um,” I said, clearing my throat and looking down. “Three months ago… today actually. Giving birth to this little guy.”

“Again I’m terribly sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.”

“No… no it’s alright.” I said. “Really.”

The rest of the day pretty much went like that. I set up the account… went to all the other shops in town. Met many people and had to retell about Melissa quite a few times. Each time it seemed to get easier but it was still hard. I had lunch at the diner in town. The guy who owns it… Luke… was pretty cool. He told me to watch out for this woman he called Crazy Carrie. Apparently she goes after any single man. He also said to bring Lexi around sometime. I think I had made my first friend in Stars Hollow.

Three o’clock came around and I walked back over to the school. All the kids were filing out and going to their parents… the older kids walked around town. I spotted Lexi standing with Miss Maguire and she had a pout on her face. Uh-oh.

“Hey Ally-Baby.” I said, smiling widely. “How was your first day?”

She glared up at me and walked over to a picnic table and sat down. She had crossed her arms and was swinging her legs back and forth. All signs of an on-coming temper tantrum.

“She was really quiet all day. She didn’t play with any of the other kids at recess… she sat alone at lunch but she did all of her work and behaved really well. I think she just needs to adjust.” Miss Maguire said looking at me.

“Thank you Miss Maguire.”

“Please, call me Madeline.” She said.

“Alright… bringing her back tomorrow will not be easy.” I said, running my free hand through my hair.

“Just give her time to adjust. Soon she’ll want to be here. I’ll see you tomorrow Mr. Jonas.” She said, smiling at me.

“It’s Joe. Bye Madeline.” I said and she waved. I walked over to Lexi and sat down next to her and she scooted away. “Come on Ally-Baby, let’s go.”

She didn’t say a word. She just stood up and started storming her way to the car. I sighed and followed her. I put Jake in as she buckled herself and then climbed in and left the parking lot.

“So… you excited to go back tomorrow?” I asked, looking at her through the rear-view mirror.

“I’m not going back ever again.” She pouted.

“Honey you have to go back.”

“No I don’t.”

“Actually you do.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m the Daddy and I said so.”

“That’s not fair!”

“I know it’s not sweetie but you just have to deal with it.”

“I don’t want to deal with it. I want to go back to my old school with my old friends.”

“Alexandra Lauren Jonas.” I said as I pulled into our driveway. “Just… listen okay? You can’t go back to your old school. We have to stay here sweetie.”

“I’m not going back!” she said and I undid my seatbelt and turned to look at her. She had her arms crossed and was looking out the window.

“Look at me.” I said calmly and she slowly turned her head. Her brown eyes were fuming. “You are going back. No arguments. Talk to the other kids and give them a chance. You’ll make lots of new friends.”

“No! I’m not going back!” she said unbuckling herself.

She jumped out of the car taking her backpack and slammed the car door causing Jake to cry. She ran up onto the porch and sat on the porch swing, placing her head on her knees. I slammed my hands on the steering wheel and closed my eyes.

****

Later that night

“Knock, knock,” Daddy said quietly, standing at my door. I turned to look at him. I was lying on my bed and I had been crying because I was mad. “I brought you dinner.”

“Thanks,” I whispered as he put the plate down in front of me. Grilled cheese… one of my favorites. I sat up and looked at the plate… Daddy was looking at his hands. “Daddy?”

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry.” I said, pouting.

“I know baby.” He said, pulling me into him. “Let’s make a deal.”

“Okay…”

“You go back to school tomorrow. If you don’t throw a temper tantrum and if you meet at least five kids… we’ll go back to California for Thanksgiving.”

“Really?”

“Yes really.” He said and I thought about it. I sighed.

“Okay… I’ll be good tomorrow.”

“Good. Will you come downstairs now?” he asked and I nodded I. Maybe it won’t be too bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just cannot stray away from my beloved Gilmore Girls! So obviously I used the town Stars Hollow. I was originally going to call it Hollow Oaks but my lovely friend Kristen told me to use Stars Hollow since she's just as much of a GG buff as I am :D And of course... Luke's and the mention of Crazy Carrie haha.

Remember Luke and Madeline.... especially Luke. He's obviously based off of GG Luke so... yeah.

Please please comment because all of you readers are amazing and I love all of you for reading this and I'll love you even more (if possible) for commenting.

Thanks so much for reading.

C/R/S

~Steph <3