‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

An Eventful Day

June 2024
Lexi’s 8th Grade Graduation


Three months Bobby and I have been together. Dad almost had a heart attack when I told him I had a boyfriend but he got over it. He actually kind of likes Bobby. Our first kiss was… awkward but we’re getting better. My entire family was here in New York now for my graduation from middle school. Grandma and Grandpa are staying here in the guest room while everyone else stays at the inn.

I was in my room getting ready. I had my sun dress on and my sandals and I was just finishing up with my hair. I went into the bathroom to… you know and when I looked down, I saw a red stain on my underwear.

“Holy crap.” I muttered. I knew what this was, even if Dad hadn’t told me all the essentials. That’s what health class is for. Someone knocked on the door.

“Lexi dear are you ready? We have to leave soon.”

“Grandma, thank God. Can you come in please?”

“Um… of course.” She said. The door twisted open and she stepped in.

“Is everything alright dear?”

“It looks like I’ve decided to get my period. Today. We don’t have anything in the house.”

“This is your first one?”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll call your aunts and see if either of them has something for you.” she said, leaving the room. About five minutes later she came back in. “Lauren is on her way with some sanitary napkins for you.”

“You mean pads?” I asked, laughing at her technical term.

“Yes… I’ll go wait for her.”

“Thanks Grandma.”

****

Joe’s POV

“Hey Ma, is she ready?” I asked my mother-in-law as she came down the stairs. She hesitated before answering me.

“Joseph… sit down.” She said, leading me to the couch.

“What’s wrong?”

“It seems like Alexandra is experiencing her first menstrual cycle.”

“What?” I asked almost choking on air. “But… she’s thirteen!”

“And most girls start much younger than that.” She said. “Lauren is on her way over with some… provisions. After the graduation I will go and pick up necessities for her. When she runs out… you’ll have to buy her new ones.”

“I can’t believe this.” I said, running my hands over my face.

“You knew this was going to happen eventually.”

“Yeah but I didn’t think it would be so… soon.”

“Shit!”

“Lyss?” I asked, standing outside our bedroom door. Lexi was still asleep in her room. Her little three year old self was so excited for her brand new “big girl” bed.

“Joe I need you to do me a favor.”

“And that would be?”

“I need you to go to CVS or something and get me some pads and tampons.”

“Come again?” I asked, poking my head in the bathroom door.

“I just got my period and I’m all out. I can’t believe I don’t have any.”

“Okay so… how much do you need?” I asked. I never had to buy things like this for her before.

“Just grab… enough. You’re a smart guy you’ll figure it out.”

“Alright… I’ll be back.”


****

At the store I frantically scoured the aisles in search of the right… stuff… for Lyss. I had no idea what to grab. There were just so many different kinds! I grabbed an armful of each and brought them to the register. The guy working laughed as he rang up the items.

“First time buying for your wife?” he asked.

“How could you tell?” I asked with a laugh.

“This is exactly how I was my first time too. Don’t worry, soon you’ll know just what to buy if she ever needs you to do it again.”

“God I hope so. Why are there so many?”

“I don’t know man. I ask myself that same question.”


“Joe.”

“What?” I asked, looking up at Lauren. “What are you doing here?”

“Didn’t Marie tell you? I’m here with… necessities for Lexi.”

“Oh right. She’s upstairs.”

****

“Knock, knock.”

“Aunt Lauren!” I cried as I paced the floor of the bathroom. I opened the door and hugged her. She came in smiling with a bag filled with things for me.

“Hey baby girl.” She said, sitting on the edge of the tub. “So I have some items for you. Lots of pads that will last you awhile and I got you some tampons but you shouldn’t start using them for at least six months. I just thought I’d save your father a little bit of trouble.”

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I was expecting this to happen soon but not today.”

“I know sweetie. You know how to do this?”

“Yeah I learned in healthy class. I’ll put one on and I’m going to change into a dress that’s not white.”

“Okay, I’ll be downstairs with your father and grandparents. You can tell me all about that boyfriend of yours while we’re in the car.” She said, winking at me.

After I took care of… what needed to be taken care of I went into my room and changed into a green summer dress I had. One last look in my mirror and I decided I was ready to officially become a high school student. I made my way downstairs and saw Dad sitting in the living room with Jake on his lap talking to Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Lauren.

“Okay, I’m ready.”

“Baby, you look beautiful.” Dad said, standing up and hugging me.

“Thanks Daddy.” I said, hugging him back. “Okay… we gotta go. I can’t be late! Is it okay if I go with Aunt Lauren?”

“Yeah sure. That is if she doesn’t mind.”

“Not at all.” She said, smiling at me. “It’ll give us a chance to talk.”

We all left the house, Dad locking the door behind everyone. He, Jake, Grandma, and Grandpa went in his car while I went with Aunt Lauren.

“So, do we have to pick up Uncle Kevin and the kids?” I asked as she followed Dad out of the driveway.

“No, he’s going with Mom and Dad.” She said. “So… who’s this boyfriend?”

“His name’s Bobby.” I said, blushing.

“How long have you two been… you two?”

“I don’t know.” I said, shrugging my shoulders.

“Yes you do.” She said teasingly.

“Three months.” I muttered.

“Sorry… what was that?”

“Three months okay? Geez.”

“Ha, you’re just like your father.” She said smiling at me. “God, I can’t believe you’re graduating middle school.”

“Neither can I…”

****

“Rebecca Jameson.” Mr. Hunter, the principal said, continuing to call the names of my classmates to get our diplomas. I was next; I looked out into the audience to find my family smiling up at me. Dad’s face was half hidden behind the video camera.

“Alexandra Jonas.”

I stepped forward smiling and shook Mr. Hunter’s hand. I could hear my family cheering for me… a whistle came out here and there and I could feel my face turning red from embarrassment. Once I sat back down in my row the names seemed to be called faster and soon… we had graduated. I was officially a high school student. I found my friends and hugged them… and then I found Bobby and he wrapped his arms around me.

I heard Dad clear his throat and my eyes opened wide. He was kind of glaring at Bobby who gulped. Gran put her hand on Dad’s shoulder and he relaxed a little pulling me into him for a hug.

“Congratulations Ally-Baby.” He said, kissing the top of my head. “I can’t believe you’re in high school now.”

“Thanks Dad. Neither can I.” I said, turning to Bobby who smiled at me and linked his fingers with mine. “Bobby, this is my family. Everyone… this is Bobby.”

“Nice to meet you.” Bobby said, waving at everyone. Gran smiled at him, Aunt Lauren gave him a hug, and my uncles seemed to glare at him just as Dad had. All three of them and I rolled my eyes.

“I gotta go Bobby. Family party and all that.”

“Alright. I’ll call you later.” He said, leaning down and giving me a quick kiss.

“Ewwwwww!” All my cousins exclaimed.

“Why am I the only teenager in the family?” I asked, throwing my hands up in the air. That made my grandmothers laugh.

“Alright, let’s go.” Dad said, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. “See you later Bobby.”

“Bye,” he said, waving to the rest of my family.

At the house, Uncle Nick made his way over to the grand piano Dad bought me six years ago and automatically started playing. Uncle Kevin found one of Dad’s guitars and started to play along with whatever Uncle Nick was playing. I soon recognized it as one of their songs from almost twenty years ago.

“Why are you playing [iEternity?” I asked, looking at my uncles. They exchanged a sad glance and looked over at Dad who had that “look” on his face. The one that was there whenever he thought about Mom.

“Lexi girl… you know why. We just miss your Mom and right now is one of those moments where we feel she should be here.” Uncle Nick said.

“Yeah… I do know.” I said with a sigh. “Of all the days I really do wish she could be here today.”

“It has been an eventful day.” He said, pulling me in for a hug.

“No kidding.” I said. My gaze caught Aunt Lauren’s and she winked at me and I smiled. Even if my Mom can’t be here… I have two awesome aunts to help me with what I need her for. I couldn’t ask for anyone better than Aunt Lauren and Aunt Lana… except Dad of course. My Dad will always be number one.
♠ ♠ ♠
HAHAHAAAAAAAAA

Poor Joe. Now he has to deal with a PMSing teenager =[ awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Lexi and Bobby sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!

What do you think guys? Do you think Lexi and Bobby will last now that they're in high school? OMG Lexi's in high school. Bittersweet.

HEY!

NEW STORY!!!!!!
World I Never Knew
I got the idea for this the other day and just started writing. It's a modern twist on the Disney classic Beauty and the Beast Read it and let me know what you think!!

Thank you so much for reading! I'm at 81 comments at the moment and 5 stars.... wanna see if we can get this to 10 stars by the time I finish??? There's a challenge for you... in order to get 10 stars I need comments so COME ON YOU 41 SUBSCRIBERS!! COMMENT and I'll love you forever I swear. If you don't I'll still love you just for reading XD

C/R/S

~Steph <3