‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Not Crying

2028
Lexi: Age 17
Jake: Age 12
Joe: Age 38


Lexi’s senior year of high school. Graduation… college. With Lexi leaving the nest for college soon, Joe and Jake will be home alone in Stars Hollow. How will Joe cope with his baby girl leaving to go to school about three hours away? More importantly, how will Lexi cope with being on her own for the first time?

****

Saturday, June 10, 2028
Lexi’s High School Graduation


The lawn of Stars Hollow High School was covered with lawn chairs. About ten rows were reserved for the year’s graduates. My friends and I were lined up in the gymnasium, waiting to walk out. My family was in their seats, along with Luke, Madeline, and Chloe. I was slightly nervous. As president of the drama club, I was, for some reason, picked to give a speech after the valedictorian.

Pomp and Circumstance started to play and we started walking. I smiled at my family as they watched, Dad with the video camera in hand. When we were all standing in front of our seats, Mr. Wright, the principal, motioned for us to seat. Gabby turned around in her seat two rows ahead of me and smiled.

This is it.

****

“It’s a distinct pleasure for me to introduce to you president of the drama club. This young lady is humble, hard working, competitive when need be, unparalleled in her academic achievements, and extremely comfortable on the stage. Ladies and Gentlemen, Alexandra Jonas.” Mr. Wright said. Everyone applauded as I made my way to the podium.

****

Joe’s POV

“Not crying, right?” Lauren leaned over and whispered.

“Not crying. Keeping our cool so we don’t miss anything.” I said, zooming in on Lexi at the podium.

“Tears get in your eyes.”

“Then you miss things.”

“So we’re not crying.”

“Not crying.”

“Not crying,” she said, turning to Kevin.

“Not crying.” He agreed then he turned to Nick. “Not crying.”

“What?” he asked, leaning across to look at Lauren and I.

“No crying.” I said.

“I’m not crying.” He stated.

****

“Mr. Wright, faculty members, fellow students, family and friends, welcome. We never thought this day would come. We prayed for its quick delivery, crossed days off our calendars, counted hours, minutes, and seconds, and now that it’s here, I’m sorry it is because it means leaving friends who inspire me and teachers who have been my mentors –- so many people who have shaped my life and my fellow students’ lives impermeably and forever. I live in two worlds.

“One is a world of musicals. I’ve been a resident of the Oklahoma country side, danced with talking utensils in Beauty and the Beast, acted as a librarian in The Music Man, changed from a goody two-shoes to a leather wearing bad girl in Grease, searched for my husband in Fiddler on the Roof, and was caught between the middle of the Sharks and Jets in West Side Story. It’s a rewarding world, but my second one is by far superior.

“My second one is populated with characters slightly less eccentric but supremely real, made of flesh and bone, full of love, who are my ultimate inspiration for everything. Kevin and Denise Jonas are kind, decent, unfailingly generous people. They are my twin pillars without whom I could not stand. I am proud to be their oldest grandchild. But my ultimate inspiration comes from my best friend, the man from whom I received my name and my life’s blood, Joseph Jonas.”

****

Joe’s POV

“Uh oh,” Lauren said, choking back tears.

“Hang in there,” I said, trying to do the same.

****

“My father never gave me any idea that I couldn’t do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be. He filled our house with love and fun and books and music, unflagging in his efforts to give me role models from Stevie Wonder to Prince to my own uncles. As he guided me through these incredible seventeen and a half years, I don’t know if he ever realized that the person I most wanted to be like was him.

“He raised my brother, Jake, and I on his own for these past twelve years. After my mother died when Jake was born, I wasn’t sure if things could ever be the same but Dad did the best he could. He moved us out here to Stars Hollow giving me a life better than one I could have ever asked for.”

****

Joe’s POV

“Not crying,” Lauren said, clearly crying.

“Crying a little.” I said, wiping away a tear.

“Crying a little, but not blubbering. That’s what we meant when we said no crying, no blubbering.” She said, pulling out tissues.

“Thank you, Dad. You are my guidepost for everything.” Lexi said, choking on her own words.

“On the verge of blubbering here.” Lauren said.

“Not doing too well myself.” Kevin said.

“Not you, too.” I said, laughing through my tears.

“I’m blubbering, you’re freaks.” Nick said, using his hand to wipe at his tears.

****

After I got through the more emotional part of my speech, I continued to address my friends. Talking about the future and how much better our lives will be. Now, we were all standing in a line, one by one walking onto stage as Mr. Wright called our names and handed us our diplomas. I looked over my shoulder to smile at my family who were all waving at me. I waved back and moved up… I was next.

****

Joe’s POV

“Alexandra Lauren Jonas.” The principal called and Lexi started making her way up the steps.

“This is it.” I said.

“She looks so solemn.” Mom said, smiling.

“Like a Jonas.” Dad said.

As Lexi walked across the stage she turned to look at me. She stuck her tongue out at me and I made a funny face back at her.

“Joseph, really.” Mom said laughing.

“I taught her everything I know.” I said, smiling.

****

After everyone was called, we kept standing in our rows looking at each other. This was our moment…

“Class of 2028, give yourself a hand!” Mr. Wright said, starting the applause.

We all cheered and lifted our caps off our head. We were showered by blue and white caps, falling through the air. I found Gabby and we embraced, laughing and crying together. Soon I found my family and was bombarded by hugs.

“How was my speech?” I asked, clinging to my aunts.

“It made everyone cry, even stone cold Nick.” Dad said.

“Uncle Nick, you old softy.” I said, giving him a hug.

“I will never live this down.” He said.

“Not with me in your life.” Dad said, clapping him on the shoulder.

“Party at your house or Luke’s?” Uncle Nick asked.

“Our house of course!” Dad said.

“Party?” I asked.

“Just a little gathering.” Dad said. “With the family in town it was bound to happen.”

“Of course.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Would you expect anything different Miss Graduate?” he asked, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

“Not at all.” I said, laughing and following him to the car, Jake coming up behind us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hahaaaaaa Gilmore Girls dialogue! Cyber cookies to whoever can give me the name of the episode!!

So, Lexi graduated high school! She's going to college next! Aw, how will everyone cope with that?

Thanks so much for reading and all of the support! Leave comments because the end is coming SOON

C/R/S

~Steph <3