‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Unto the Breach

March 2032
Lexi’s Spring Break
Lexi: Age 21
Jake: Age 15
Joe: Age 42
Joe’s POV


Lexi came home for Spring Break this year instead of going somewhere with her friends like she has for the past two years. This time… she brought her boyfriend. Bryan. I had met him a few times before, he was nice, smart. He’s good for her, I’ll admit it. But they’re young. Like I should be talking. Getting married at twenty; becoming a father at twenty-one. Thank God Lexi’s past that… but I think she feels he could be the one. Am I ready for that?

Lexi was out with Gabby for some much needed girl time reconciliation leaving Bryan and Jake at the house with me. I was out in the studio developing some pictures from the latest Sweet Sixteen I was hired for when I heard the door creak open.

“Excuse me,” Bryan whispered. My mind preparing for what I thought was about to come.

“Bryan. Come on in.” I said, setting down the negatives I was looking at. “What’s going on?”

“I was wondering if I could talk to you.” he said, sitting in one of the chairs. I pulled one over and sat across from him. Uh-oh.

“Of course.” I said.

“Well, I’ve been offered a position as a writer for a newspaper.”

“Wow, that’s great.” I said impressed.

“Yeah it’s similar to what I’m doing now but… bigger because they’re willing to make me a full on reporter.”

“That’s really exciting.” I said, shaking his hand in congratulations.

“It is. It’s going to be a lot of long hours and an incredible amount of work, but I feel this venture has a bright future. I mean, these are serious news people.”

“And you’re a serious guy.”

“Thanks, I appreciate that. It means a lot to me.” He said and my brows furrowed together in confusion.

“Oh well, you’re welcome.”

“So, the thing is, as you can imagine, I’m pretty excited about this.”

“Well yeah.” I said, shrugging my shoulders.

“It does, however, mean a move to San Francisco. Palo Alto, actually.”

“Oh, wow.”

“Yeah.”

“That’s really big. Lexi didn’t mention it to me.”

“I haven’t told her yet.” He said, running his fingers through his hair.

“So… you want me to tell her for you?” I joked.

“No, no. I’m going to tell her. I just… wanted to talk to you first.”

“That’s very… thoughtful of you Bryan.”

“Look… I love Lexi. She means the world to me, and I want her to come with me to California.”

“Oh.” I said, taken aback.

“But not just as my girlfriend, which is why I’m here. I’m here to ask your permission… your permission to ask Lexi to marry me”

My jaw just about dropped to the floor. I was expecting this but at the same time I really wasn’t. I knew how much in love they were but… shock.

“Joe? Joe?” he asked, reaching across and shaking my shoulders.

****

May 2032
Night before Lexi and Bryan’s College Graduation


Gran and Gramp were throwing me a graduation party at a hotel ballroom. Aunt Lauren, Aunt Lana, and Aunt Carly had me cornered against a wall. As much as I love them there were other people I wanted to see… Bryan for example. There he was, right on que.

“I’m sorry, ladies. Mind if I steal my girlfriend away for a minute? Rather urgent business.” He said, taking my hand.

“Of course not.” Aunt Lauren said, smiling at me.

“We’ll talk later.” Aunt Lana said.

“Excuse me.” I said, walking away with Bryan. “Oh you really are my shining, armored knight. You know that?”

“I saw you dying and I did want to tell you something rather urgent.” He said, sweeping me into his arms for a kiss.

“What’s up?”

“You look… beautiful.” He said, letting out a breath.

“Oh!” I said with a smile and he kissed me again.

Dad walked over and cleared his throat. Bryan and I pulled away and I gave Dad an apologetic smile.

“Hi, Dad.” I said, giving him a hug.

“Hey. Bryan.” He said, reaching out his hand for Bryan to shake.

“Good to see you sir.” He said and Dad nodded his head.

“So, are you getting excited?”

“Yeah, I can’t believe it’s tomorrow.” I said. Just then Gramp tapped his champagne glass with a fork.

“Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, first let me thank you for coming to celebrate my granddaughter’s graduation.” He said and Gran pinched his arm. “Ouch! I do beg your pardon. Celebrating our granddaughter’s graduation.”

“I can’t let him take all the credit. Have you seen her? Can you blame me?” Gran said, laughing as well as everyone else.

“So, when my wife and I sat down to write our toast, we ran into something of a problem. All of our words sounded too mundane, too insignificant to mark such an auspicious occasion as Lexi’s graduation from Buffalo. So instead… maestro…” he said, turning to Uncle Nick who was sitting at the piano. As Uncle Nick started playing the opening notes, Gran and Gramp pulled out papers.

“Please excuse us. It’s been awhile and we’re a bit rusty.” Gran said.

“Never let them see you sweat, dear.” Gramp said to her before turning to his music. “You’re the top. You have graduated.

You’re the top. Your grandparents are elated.

Drama major. Phi Beta Kappa, wow!

You’re a revelation. A huge sensation.

You should take a bow.” Gramp said, mimicking a bow. Bryan’s arm was around my waist and he was smiling. I turned to look at Dad and looked as sappy as I felt as he watched his parents. I turned back to Gran and Gramp, tears threatening to spill over.

You are done. No more school for you.” Gran sang.

There is nothing now that you can’t do.

You’ll make us proud, we’ll sing it loud.

It’s true!

’Cause now Lexi, you’re a Jonas, through and through!” they sang together. At this point the tears were freely falling and I stepped forward, hugging both of them.

“Wow. Thank you for that.” I said, wiping away my tears.

“We meant every word of that song.” Gran said, holding my shoulders at an arm’s length.

“We certainly did, even the ones we sang off-key. We are so proud of you.” Gramp added, kissing me on the cheek.

“Oh thank you so much. You know that none of this would be possible without your help. You should all know that there’s no way I could be a Jonas through and through if it weren’t for these two. So, thank you so much Gran and Gramp.”

“Congratulations Lexi.” Gramp said, raising his glass. “To you.”

“Cheers.” I heard Dad say.

“Cheers!” everyone chorused.

“If I could…” Bryan said, stepping forward and wrapping his arms around my shoulders. Gran and Gramp stepped back and looked at each other. “I’d also like to say a few words about my girlfriend of the past year and a half. You amaze me, Alexandra Jonas, every day. Everything that you do… everything that you are.” I couldn’t help but giggle and blush.

“This past year, I realized that I don’t know a lot more than I thought I knew, if that makes sense. I’m a little bit nervous. I didn’t think I would be. What I’m trying to say is that… I don’t know a lot. But I know that I love you… and I want to be with you… forever.

“Alexandra Jonas… will you marry me?” he asked, bending down onto one knee and pulling a small box out of his jacket pocket. I clapped a hand over my mouth and looked from his shining eyes to my family. Gran and Gramp looked proud, Aunt Lauren looked ready to cry, Dad… Dad didn’t look fazed at all. He looked… excited. I looked back at Bryan and smiled as I felt the tears falling again.

“Yes!” I cried. He stood up with a huge smile on his face and wrapped his arms around me. He gave me a kiss and then opened the box revealing the ring he bought. I gasped at how extravagant it was. Everyone applauded… my uncles were whooping.

I pulled away from Bryan and walked over to Dad and wrapped my arms around him. He held me tight and kissed my cheek. I pulled from the hug slightly and looked him in the eyes.

“You knew.” I said quietly and he gave a guilty smirk. He nodded his head. “How long?”

“Oh about two months.”

“What?”

“He asked me for your hand during spring break. You were catching up with Gabby and he came into the studio and we just… talked. Has he talked to you… about after graduation?”

“Yeah, California. Something about avocados. I can’t believe you Okayed this!”

“Hey, he makes you happy. That’s all I ask in life is that you and your brother are happy.”

“What about you, Daddy?” I asked and he raised an eyebrow. “Are you happy?”

“Yeah. I am. I didn’t think I would be but I can see that he cares so much about you. He’s good in my book.” He said, winking.

“Good. I’m glad.”

****

Graduation Day
Joe’s POV


I was fidgeting in my seat while we waited for the graduation to go underway. Not sure if the seats were right I kept asking everyone what they thought. I kept checking my camera’s memory left.

“Lexi’s next.” Nick said, sitting up straighter.

“Hey Kev, tell me what time it is. I told Lexi I’d notice the exact time.”

“Joseph, I will note the time. You just sit here and enjoy your daughter’s graduation from college.” Dad said. “This is as much your moment as Lexi’s. Enjoy it.”

I sat up straighter and paid full attention to the stage in front of us. The dean stood at the podium and cleared his throat.

“Alexandra Lauren Jonas.” He said and Lexi walked proudly on stage. I applauded and cheered and stood up.

“Yay, Lexi!” I shouted, standing up, a tear pricking at the corner of my eye.

Jake, Kevin, and Nick stood up around me, applauding and cheering just as loud. Looking towards the graduates I saw Bryan standing as well. He turned to look back and I nodded my head at him and he did the same with a smile. There’s no denying it now. My little girl is all grown up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Credit to whoever was the Gilmore Girls writer season 7... don't know his name because I didn't like him very much. Ass-wipe. But most of this comes from two episodes. Lorelai? Lorelai? and the one this chapter is named after Unto the Breach I just changed a few things around.

Here's a link to the song that Kevin Sr. and Denise sang XD

Here's a contest for all Jonas fans. Jonas Song-Fic Contest!! I only have 1 spot left but I can definitely add more :D

Thank you so much for reading this story and following it from the start first with IARCRWO and then WWF... I can't believe it. One chapter left and then the epilogue

I feel like I might cry.

Still not at 100 comments! I only need two more. Who will get the 100th comment? I think if Aly doesn't get it she'll be uber-mad... and yes I just said "uber"

C/R/S

~Steph <3