‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

The End of the Rainbow

March 2074
Lexi: Age 63
Jake: Age 57
Joe’s Funeral


“Lex, you have to come back out.” Jake said through the phone. “It’s not looking good.”

“Alright. Bryan and I will fly out as soon as possible. Tell him to hang in there… for me.” I said, a tear slipping down my face.

“I will Lexi. Bye.”

“Bye Jake.” I hung up the phone in shock. The wall ahead of my face seemed to be spinning. I heard footsteps and turned my head to see Bryan standing in the doorway.

“What’s going on?” he whispered, seeing the look on my face.

“Dad’s not doing well. We have to go to New York.” I said and he came over and sat next to me on the bed, wrapping his arms around me. He rocked our bodies back and forth and kissed the top of my head.

“Do you want me to call the kids?” he asked, referring to our three children.

“No. I’ll do it. I doubt Catherine will fly out with the baby.”

“Of course she will. This is her grandfather we’re talking about. She named our grandson after him.” he said. He sighed and I buried my head in his chest. “I’ll go book the flight.”

He stood up and left the room, closing the door behind him. I sighed and bent forward, resting my elbows on my knees. Dad’s been sick for awhile but has been getting worse the past few months. Looking to my right I saw a photo collage from mine and Bryan’s wedding. In the middle was a picture of Bryan and I. On one side was Bryan with his parents and on the other was me with Dad and Jake. That’s the proudest I’d ever seen Dad.

When Caroline, Catherine, and Mikey were little, they’d also ask where my Mommy was and why they only had one Grandma. When they were old enough I told them the whole story and they found so much more appreciation for my father. Later on, when I told them that he and their great-uncles used to be famous, the appreciation strengthened even more. I picked up the frame and stared down at it, a tear dripping onto the glass.


A baby’s cry brought me out of my reverie. I looked around and saw Catherine had arrived with David and my newest grandson… Joseph. I wiped the tears from my eyes and embraced my youngest child. She joined her older siblings and their families and the service was ready to begin.

Uncle Frankie sat with my Aunt Carly and my cousins and their children. Uncle Nick and Aunt Lana sat a row ahead of them, looking fragile. Uncle Kevin and Aunt Lauren had already passed on. I walked passed my uncles, giving them each a kiss on the cheek as I walked forward. Jake joined me up at the podium and I turned to everyone in attendance.

“Hi. I’m Alexandra Jonas… Joseph’s oldest child. Most of you know me as Lexi but to my father, I was known as Ally-Baby; a nick-name he had given me the day I was born. My father was an extraordinary man with an extraordinary heart.

“After I was born, he, along with my Uncles Kevin and Nick, continued with music for about two years before doing their own things. We were a close family, living only minutes from each other in California. When I was six years old, my mother, Melissa Jonas died giving birth to my younger brother, Jake. He never remarried. There was never anyone right for him because Mom was his other half.

“Dad moved us out here to Stars Hollow, New York to get us away from the Hollywood lifestyle. He did everything for us just so we’d be happy. I remember on my wedding day I thanked him for everything he’d done for us and how our Mom would be so proud. He said he was the proud one.

“Things are different now Dad. Jake and I are the proud ones. You were the most amazing father, brother, and friend. When Michael was born, you were so excited to be a grandfather. We’ll miss you here… but now you can finally be with Mom. Your one, true soul mate. I love you, Daddy.”

I stepped back and Jake gave me a hug as he went up for his turn. I wiped the tears from my eyes and held my composure for Jake’s speech.

“Hi, as Lexi said I’m Jake and I never had a mother. I think Dad did a pretty good job though. We had a lot of fun together. We got along better than most of my friends did with their Dads. I remember when I was young I’d help my Dad out in his studio with his photography.

“Dad loved photography so much. He’d always have a camera with him. Every birthday, every holiday, every vacation, and every graduation. He was really good at it. One day I asked him why he loved taking pictures so much. He told me it’s what my Mom used to do. When we moved he kept all of her cameras and everything and he didn’t want it to go to waste so he created his studio in Stars Hollow and became a popular asset to the town.

“When Lexi and I were little, we each had a song he’d sing to us to get us to sleep. Lexi’s was the classic Somewhere Over the Rainbow from the old movie Wizard of Oz. Mine was that old song What A Wonderful World. I wanted to play those songs for you but I found something even better. I found something that Dad probably knew and loved. This song is older than me… even older than Lexi. Actually, it’s older than everyone in this room besides my aunts and uncles over here.

“The song is actually a combination of these two songs together. It’s by the late Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, a Hawaiian singer and its’ from around the year 2003.” He said and he nodded back to one of the workers and the song started playing. As I listened to the ukulele strumming… I thought back on my entire life and how this song fit perfectly.

Goodbye Dad. I will never forget you. Go to Neverland and find Mom there. She’ll be somewhere over the rainbow, just like when I wanted to see her… so many years ago.

*********************************************************************************

Ooooo oooooo ohoohohoo
Ooooo ohooohoo oooohoo
Ooooo ohoohooo oohoooo
Oohooo oohoooho ooooho
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Once in a lullaby ii ii iii
Somewhere over the rainbow
Blue birds fly
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Dreams really do come true ooh ooooh
Someday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me ee ee eeh
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops thats where you'll find me oh
Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dream that you dare to,why, oh why can't I? i iiii

Well I see trees of green and
Red roses too,
I'll watch them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world

Well I see skies of blue and I see clouds of white
And the brightness of day
I like the dark and I think to myself
What a wonderful world

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passing by
I see friends shaking hands
Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying, I...I love you
I hear babies cry and I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more
Than we'll know
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world (w)oohoorld

Someday I'll wish upon a star,
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney top that's where you'll find me
Oh, Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
And the dream that you dare to, why, oh why can't I? I hiii ?

Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo


Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
♠ ♠ ♠
:(

I cried writing this. Seriously. Here's the song. Okay... time for me to gush.

I started writing this series in December 2008 with It's A Roller Coaster Ride We're On. I finished writing that in late February/early March and started right away with the sequel Worth Waiting For. Before I even finished that the ideas for Somewhere Over the Rainbow started to form. I knew I was going to have Melissa die before I finished with WWF... weird, huh?

I know a lot of people were upset with me for killing her off but... it was obviously for a reason. I think I did pretty well though. I know it may have seemed odd having me skip so many years but I just wanted to high light the most important years of Lexi's life mainly to show how much she meant to Joe.

Most of you probably weren't expecting me to end it this way, with Joe's funeral. A few people thought I'd end it with Lexi and Bryan moving to California or maybe with Lexi and Bryan having their first child. I knew from the start I wanted to end it with Joe's funeral. It's the only way I could end it. I needed closure for Joe and Melissa and this is the only way I could provide that.

I want to thank everyone who read, subscribed, and/or commented me throughout this entire series. It means so much to me to have my work appreciated like that. You have no idea how elated I feel to see so many positive comments from people. I love you all, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you so, so, SO much.

<3

~Steph