‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

I'm Gong to Have a Baby...

January 2016

“Lexi! Time to go!” Mommy called upstairs.

“Can Lucky come with us?” I asked as I played with the puppy Mommy and Daddy gave me for Christmas.

“No sweetie, Lucky can’t come. Now come on. We don’t want to be late.”

“Okay Mommy.” I said. I walked downstairs and Lucky followed me… just like in Follow the Leader… and Mommy put her in her puppy cage. Daddy said it’s so she doesn’t make the house messy.

“Be a good girl Lucky.” Mommy said.

“Bye-bye Lucky!” I called, waving to her as Mommy closed the door.

****

At the doctor’s office, Mommy showed me these books that she called magazines. She showed me pictures of what a new baby looks like and how to hold a baby. There were a lot of Mommy’s there who were going to have babies.

“Melissa?”

“That’s us sweetie.” Mommy said, taking my hand.

We followed the nurse through a door into a room. Mommy sat on the big table and I sat on the chair. The nurse stayed for a little and then left

“Mommy, when will the doctor get here?”

“Soon Lexi.” She said, smiling at me.

“Melissa, hello again.”

“Dr. Lockhart,” Mommy said. “You remember Alexandra.”

“Oh you’ve gotten so big Alexandra. You look just like your Mommy.”

“You can call me Lexi.” I said, smiling. “Everybody says I look like Mommy but I have Daddy’s eyes and smile.”

“Yes you do. Are you excited to be a big sister?” she asked.

“Yes! Am I going to have a brother or a sister?”

“Well… let’s see.” She turned off the lights and turned on this thingy and put goo on Mommy’s belly. “Do you want to help me Lexi?”

“Can I really?”

“Of course,” she said. She picked me up and held me with one arm. She had this thing… kind of like a wand… on Mommy’s belly. “Can you move this around on Mommy’s tummy until you hear a funny sound?”

“Yeah,” I said, doing what she showed me. “Does it tickle Mommy?”

“A little,” she said, smiling. I moved it around some more then I heard a funny sound.

“Hold it right there.” The doctor said.

“What is it?” I asked.

“That is the baby’s heartbeat.”

“Wow.”

“Cool, isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” I said, nodding my head.

“Look at the screen.” She said, pointing. “That right there is the baby.”

“Really?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“It looks funny.” I said and Mommy and the doctor laughed.

“It looks that way because it’s still growing. In about five months it will look like a normal baby.”

“So, is it a boy or a girl?” Mommy asked.

****

“What do you want for lunch sweetheart?” Mommy asked as we left the doctor.

“Can we go anywhere?”

“Within reason.” She said laughing as she put me in my car seat.

“Can we go to McDonald’s?”

“I have no objection. So are you happy?” she asked as we drove around.

“Yes! I’m so excited Mommy!”

“Remember, no telling Daddy. We can only tell Uncle Nick and Auntie Lana.”

“Why doesn’t Daddy want to know?”

“Because Daddy is stubborn.”

“Stubborn?” I asked. She looked back at me and smiled.

“It means Daddy likes things to be his way and he wants the baby to be a surprise.”

“I like surprises but I’m glad I know.”

“Me too.” Mommy said stopping the car and bringing me into the McDonald’s.

****

“Lucky, we’re home!” I cried, running inside.

“Lucky? What about Daddy?” Daddy asked, coming from the living room and pouting. I stopped petting Lucky and ran to Daddy, hugging his legs.

“Hi Daddy,” I said as he picked me up.

“Hey Ally-Baby. Did you have fun at the doctor’s?”

“Yes. I know what the baby is but I’m not going to tell you. I promised Mommy.”

“That’s right.” Mommy said, coming over and kissing Daddy. “Wrap up early today?”

“Yeah, Johnny was great. We got two scenes done. That man is amazing.”

“Uncle Johnny?” I asked.

“No honey, a different Johnny. Somebody Daddy is working with.” Mommy said.

“Oh… can I call Uncle Nick and Auntie Lana and tell them?”

“Auntie Lana is at work right now but we can try Uncle Nick. Joe, do you know if Nick is in the studio right now?”

“I’m not sure.” Daddy said. “I’ll call his cell. If he doesn’t answer, he’s recording or writing. Come on Ally-Baby.”

We went into the living room. Daddy got the phone and sat on the couch, pulling me onto his lap. He did something with his phone so I could hear what was happening. He called Uncle Nick and it rang and rang.

Hey guys, it’s Nick. I’m either recording, writing, or doing something else of importance. Leave me a message and I’ll get back to you.

Daddy held the phone in front of me so I could leave Uncle Nick a message.

“Hi Uncle Nick, it’s Lexi. I have something really important to tell you and Auntie Lana. Call here when you can! Bye!”

“Good job baby. Want to play outside?”

“Yeah! Will you push me on the swings?”

“Of course,” he said, taking my hand. “Do you want to come outside Lyss?”

“I think I’m going to take a nap. I’ll tell you later how the visit went.” She said, giving Daddy a kiss. She kissed my forehead then went upstairs.

****

Joe’s POV

After dinner I settled Lexi in the living room with The Little Mermaid on. For a twenty-something year old movie, it’s her favorite. Lyss and I were cleaning up from dinner and she had yet to tell me how the visit went.

“So…” I started awkwardly. “Is everything good with the baby?”

“Everything’s fine. Dr. Lockhart said the baby is healthy and growing at a nice rate and everything seems to be normal.”

“What about you? Is everything good with you?”

“Joe…” she sighed. “I told you a million times. Every pregnancy is different. I’m fine!”

“Melissa, you are not fine.” I said and she looked up at me with wide eyes. I hardly ever call her Melissa. It’s usually only when we fight. “There’s something wrong I just know it. Have you looked in a mirror lately? Your skin is so pale and you have dark shadows around your eyes. Plus, you seem to be losing weight instead of gaining it. I’m worried.” I said, walking over and wrapping my arms around her waist.

She placed her hands on my chest and sighed, looking towards the living room. She watched as Lexi sang along with Ariel and smiled. Finally, she looked up at me, a little sadness in her eyes.

“You’re right. There is something wrong but Dr. Lockhart doesn’t quite know what it is. She told me to call if anything changes and to keep her updated and we’ll have more check-ups than usual. She said that usually with cases like this it turns out to be nothing except a difficult pregnancy. I’ll most likely be put on bed rest. Please, don’t worry though. I’ll be fine.” She said.

She put her hand to my cheek. I looked into her eyes that were pleading with me. I leaned in and kissed her, running my fingers through her hair. She pulled away and smiled.

“Do you want to name the baby again this time?” she asked.

“You’ll let me?”

“I’ll approve whatever you pick out.”

“Sure, if you don’t mind.” I said as we walked to the living room.

“I don’t mind one bit.” She said as we sat down with our daughter between us. She smiled up at us as Sebastian danced across the screen and I couldn’t help but think how lucky I was to have such wonderful girls in my life.

****

“Uncle Nick didn’t call back.” I pouted as Mommy and Daddy tucked me in. Lucky climbed up onto my bed and lay down next to me.

“He’ll call tomorrow Ally-Baby.” Daddy said, kissing my forehead.

“Promise?”

“If he doesn’t I’ll go and yell at him.”

“Don’t do that Daddy. That’s not nice.” I said and he and Mommy laughed.

“Alright, go to sleep.” Mommy said, kissing me.

“What about my song?”

“I’ll sing if Daddy sings with me.” She said, looking up at Daddy.

“Do it Daddy!”

“Alright,” he said, sitting down next to Mommy on my bed. Lucky looked up at them with her brown eyes and listened as they sang.

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high, there's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.” Mommy sang.

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.” Sang Daddy.

Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me.

Where troubles melt like lemon drops away above the chimney tops that's where you'll find me.” They sang together.

Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly.” Mommy sang.

Birds fly over the rainbow. Why then, oh why can't I?” Daddy sang, smiling at me.

If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow…

Why, oh why, can’t I?” they sang together, smiling at each other.

“That was really pretty.” I whispered and Daddy laughed.

“Goodnight baby girl.” He said, helping Mommy up.

“Night-night.” I said and Mommy smiled and closed the door. My night-light was shining bright and I looked at Lucky. “Lucky,” I whispered pulling her close to me. “I have a secret and you have to promise to not tell Daddy. I’m going to have a baby brother!”

Lucky licked my face and I giggled. Now that I told someone my secret I knew I wouldn’t tell Daddy. Now I just have to wait for my baby brother to get here. I smiled and put my head on my pillow and Lucky put her head on my arm. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a boy! OMG Joe's going to be so excited! I'm so excited.

Haha you guys are awesome I just know you're going to love this story. I finished Chapter 5 last night and now I have to start work on Chapter 6. Chapter 4 will be up tomorrow... Most likely.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting and subscribing! You readers are amazing and I love it all! Keep it up!!!

C/R/S

~Steph <3