Baby, I Think I Love You

She Who Drives On The Sidewalk

“Baby, can you please go make Avery stop whining? Please!” Jasper screamed, pressing his hands firmly to his ears. “I have a headache already!”

“He’s just a baby!”

“He’s six years old! He’s not a baby anymore, and you know that I need to work on this case. How can I do that with a kid crying and shrieking nonstop?”

I sighed out of pure exhaustion as I stormed out of my husband’s study.

“Those stupid court cases are more important than your own wife!” I hissed under my breath, running a hand through my tangled hair. I hadn’t exactly had any time to work on my appearance as of late, what with having to take care of the kids by myself.

“They are not!” he called after me. “I love you!”

“Yeah-yeah. Love you, too.”

Just as I got to the den, there was a knock on the door. I grabbed my son’s hand even though he complained that I was costing him his life and walked over to the door. He could play his silly game later. Opening it, I smiled.

“Hey, Edwin. I suppose you’re just in time. Avery just finished his game.”

Edwin smirked as Avery threw a fit, declaring that he had not finished in the least. I rolled my eyes and gave him a light push in his father’s direction.

“I see that he’s becoming quite a hassle,” he chuckled, ruffling the boy’s hair.

“What does that mean?” A stupid question, I realized, as I tried to comb my hair with my fingers. “Oh. Yeah, I’m a train wreck, I know. Jasper’s just been so busy with his cases.” I sighed, turning from Edwin to call for Monique. “I’m sure she’s still getting packed. That girl just thinks she needs to take her whole room to your house!”

“Well, she takes after her mother.” A boasting grin formed on his lips as I scowled at him.

“Oh, you’re so funny!” I giggled despite myself, but I stopped when I saw Monique trudging reluctantly up to me.

“I’m ready to go.”

“Have fun, baby. Okay?” I begged, hugging her tightly.

“I’ll try,” she muttered dryly. She reached up to kiss my cheek and give me a proper farewell before she pushed past her father to go to the car after seizing her brother by the hand.

“Drive safe,” I begged Edwin with a small smile.

“Oh, I will. I wouldn’t want you worrying about me, Jade.” He chuckled softly, shifting from foot to foot a bit awkwardly. I could tell his daughter was on his mind.

“Of course not.” I rolled my eyes, feeling the awkwardness set in. “Edwin, I’m sure she’ll get over this soon enough.”

Edwin’s face fell. “I hope so. But it’s been six years.”

“I know, but... Edwin, would you mind dropping them off at the end of the weekend? I don’t know if I can get Jasper to give me a ride.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot about you having your license taking away.” I blushed.

“It was such racial profiling. They were pulling over everyone driving on that sidewalk!”

We laughed for a bit before Edwin’s face grew serious again.

“Jade, please take care.” His voice had a hint of begging to it. I nodded.

“I will,” I whispered, attempting to smile. He nodded, turning to leave.

I waited to close the door until after he’d pulled out of the driveway and waved goodbye.

“Honey, could you come here? I miss you so much that it burns me like a thousand suns!” Jasper shrieked with way too much drama in his voice.

“Oh dear Lord,” I sighed, rolling my eyes. “I’m coming!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you go, chapter one of the anticipated final book of Jade and Edwin. Who knows how it will end! I can tell you who: me and the nice people who subscribe and comment =]

*subliminal message: COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE. That is all*