Baby, I Think I Love You

The Silence Is Suffocating

“So I’m okay now, right?” I asked Clarence as he stared into my right eye, nearly blinding me with his bright light.

“Correct. Though try to be more careful, alright? But I’m curious. What happened to make you faint?”

I bit my lip, looking to the door. Quinn was standing there with Nathan and Natasha. It didn’t look like she was going to say anything, and I guessed that she was leaving this decision all up to me. Good thing my lying has gotten better over the years.

“I saw Natasha and Quinn and it just shocked me since she always talked about how she was going to hate her kid,” I offered with a shrug. “Too dramatic, I suppose.”

He seemed to buy it, so I looked to Edwin. His eyes were boring into me. I just couldn’t take the accusation anymore, so I turned away, snuggling into Jasper’s chest. I could almost hear his heart shatter yet again. Why did I have to hurt people so much?

“Are you ready to go home, love?” Jasper whispered in my ear, kissing the top of my head. He seemed at least a little nervous. And he should be: he was still on thin ice.

“Yeah,” I muttered, allowing him to help me stand.

Monique hugged me quickly before solemnly following Edwin and Avery out the door. Edwin didn’t even turn on his car’s engine until after Jasper and I had pulled out of the driveway.

“I can’t believe that Quinn shocked you so much,” he joked lightly as we waited for the streetlight to turn green.

“I know, I’m ridiculous,” I admitted, staring out the window and watching the sky. The clouds were dark and foreboding. I didn’t like it.

“I didn’t say that,” he mumbled, kissing me quickly before pushing the gas pedal as far down as he could. I’d gotten used to his reckless driving.

“Oh, but you don’t have to. I know it’s true.”

He laughed slightly, but returned his focus to the road. An eerie silence hung in the air around us, so I cracked the window, allowing the cold breeze to make the conversation that I wouldn’t.

When we got home, he seemed a little more at ease. I figured if I wanted to get anything, now was the time to ask. He wouldn’t dare say no.

“So, Jasper...” I said suddenly, hinting that a favor was due.

“Oh, God. What is it?” he joked, taking off his coat and hanging it up in the closet. He turned to me and pulled me into his arms, smirking.

“You know, Avery’s turning seven really soon. And he’s not a loser with no friends...”

“Oh, just pull the trigger already and kill me now,” he mumbled blandly, releasing me from his embrace. I made a face, reaching out and seizing his hand.

“I was thinking about throwing him a surprise party with all of his little friends. We can get him a pool, can’t we?”

“And by ‘we’, you mean the man with the job and the wife that loves to steal his wallet?”

“That was only once, and you know there was a sale on those DC's I wanted!” I pouted, jerking my hand from his teasingly.

“Yeah-yeah. Fine, we’ll go shopping later, okay? Right now I just want to enjoy your company,” he whispered on my neck, kissing it softly.

“So it’s like you’re paying me to have sex with you?”

He made a weird face and I almost laughed. But I figured I’d hurt his ego.

“Well, I’m hoping that’s a gift! If I’m that awful, then I apologize!”

“Oh, you’re not that awful... But you’re pretty damn close!”

“And there’s the bullet!” he shrieked, tearing himself from me and pouting. I laughed, grabbing his hand again.

“Calm down, Mr. Man. I’m only joking with you. Besides, I bet you’re all tense from the week without getting any!”

He looked down, an embarrassed look on his face. I gawked.

“I’m never going in that bathroom ever again!”

“Who says it was in the bathroom?”

My eyes probably popped out of my head just then! I shook the curiosity out of my head, storming away from him.

“Don’t you want to know where?” he called after me, laughing his ass off.

I’m so buying one of those dark lights!