Baby, I Think I Love You

We Were Given Brains For A Reason, Doll

“So they just come on down and kindly waste their precious fire-extinguishing water on our summertime fun?” I asked Jasper, watching as the firemen did their part to protect my amusement.

“Yes. Yes, they do, sweetie,” he mocked me teasingly, holding my close as he kissed the top of my head.

“So if I set the neighbor’s kitchen on fire right now, they’d just be screwed?”

“Hmm, I suppose they would.”

“Huh. Well, good thing they gave me a nice little housewarming gift basket when I moved in,” I said with a smile, not even sure if anyone was listening to me. I glanced over to the neighbor’s yard and saw the blind shut suddenly. “Then again...”

“What did I say about impulsively deciding to invite all the firemen over and using their water just so you can burn down someone’s homes and crash their hopes, forcing them to live in the streets?” he chided, wagging his finger. I hung my head.

“That only terrible people do it.”

“That’s right. And are terrible people nice?”

“No, terrible people are terrible,” I grumbled, giggling.

“You win a star for the day,” he grumbled, rolling his eyes. I smacked him playfully before leaning against him again. “Yeah, the ladies just can’t resist me.”

“Oh? Do you really want to go there?” I asked him, smirking. He smiled.

“No, dear. Of course not because then you’ll run off and make me chase you all around town like you did in high school.”

“And then the track coach wanted me on the team!” I exclaimed laughing. “But that poor little boy was never the same...”

“Oh, yeah. I saw him the other day. He’s still got that nervous twitch,” Jasper told me, shaking his head solemnly. “Who would have thought a little rock in the right place could do that to a person?”

“It’s a shame, really,” I mumbled, agreeing. I gave up being serious. “But it was really funny!” He smirked, kissing me quickly.

“Of course it was.”

“Okay, so do we know all of Avery’s friends? He’s had like twenty-seven different kids over here!”

“Oh, I’ll leave that up to you. I try to stay away from herds of elephants trampling through my house,” he grumbled, shaking his head.

“Well, I guess I can ask Monique. I’m going to go call her up, alright?”

“Okay. I’ll stay here and make sure there’s no yard fire.”

“Right. Break!” I shrieked, tearing myself from him and dashing back into the house. I was still giggling at my little joke (Jasper had played football back in high school—he was the quarterback) when I picked up the phone and dialed Monique’s number.

“Hello?” Edwin asked, sounding a little confused.

Uh, that certainly wasn’t Monique!