Baby, I Think I Love You

That's What Happens When You Get A Job

“Why did you answer?” I asked him, just as confused as he was. Well, me being confused wasn’t anything knew...

“Jade, this is my phone. I kind of pick it up when it rings—you know, like normal people do.”

“No, this is Manny’s number.”

“Hmm, no. I do believe this is my number. Jade, have you forgotten our little discussion? You need those pills! I don’t care if they’re ‘nasty, icky, meds from Hell’, you have to take them!”

“No, I’m fine! But why did I call this number? It’s not even close to Manny’s!” I shrieked, sitting down on the floor in deep thought.

“I don’t know, but you did. So what’s up?”

“Hmm? Oh, well I was going to ask her who all of Avery’s friends are.”

“Why?”

“Well, don’t tell your son, but I’m planning a surprise party for him. I just don’t know who all to invite.”

“...Did you not plan on telling me?” he asked quietly, sounding a little hurt.

“No! That’s not it! Of course you’re invited. I mean, you are his dad. Besides, you’re probably his favorite friend anyway.” I smiled, remembering the day Avery was born. He had instantly loved his father...and his father’s nose.

“Oh. Sorry, I kind of freaked out. Well, I know all of his friends. I can take care of that part, okay? Don’t put too much stress on yourself. I don’t want to have to take you to my father again. He loves seeing you and all, but you know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I know. Well, be sure to tell them that it’s a pool party. That means you need to bring trunks because I’m not having you skinny dip in front of all those little children! They’ll start asking questions and wondering why they have such small...” I coughed, laughing. I could almost see the weird face he was probably making.

“Yeah, and then if Jasper did they’d probably ask why it’s all shriveled up!”

I busted out laughing, holding my sides.

“Then I’d tell them, ‘Honey, that’s a working man’s junk!’” I shrieked, tears streaming out of my eyes from laughing so hard. Oh, Jasper could take some abuse.

“And Jade is his ‘hot young thang’!” Edwin piped up, laughing just as hard as I was.

Yeah, so maybe I was a terrible person. But really, he could take a joke—a good one!

“Oh my, I haven’t laughed like that in so long,” I sighed fondly, managing to get in a breath.

“Jasper doesn’t make you laugh?” Edwin asked, suddenly serious. I bit my lip.

“I mean, he does. He’s just so busy working and paying for our expenses that I don’t get to really just sit around and make fun of his manhood with him.” I smiled softly. “It’s been nice talking to you, Eddie.”

“You, too, Jade. So I’ll call you when I know how many kids are coming. That okay?” he asked quickly.

“Yeah, that’s fine,” I told him, nodding even though I knew he couldn’t see me.

“Alright, I’ll see you later.”

“Okay, take care.”

“Love you.”

“Love you, too. Bye.”

We both froze, neither of us saying a word. But what could we say? I could hear him breathing on the other end of the line. He sounded like he’d just run a marathon, but I’m sure I sounded the same. I sank to the floor, trying to steady my lungs.

“Uh, bye,” I said quickly, quickly hanging up and the throwing the phone down. My lip started trembling and I pulled my knees to my chest, holding them there was I cried softly into my lap. I didn’t even think about it before I mumbled his name over and over, only making myself cry more and more each time.

His name just fell right off of my lips too easily...