Baby, I Think I Love You

Blue Forty-Two, set... Hike!

“What do you mean you can’t go?” I asked, turning to face Jasper with my blouse only half buttoned. “This is your son’s birthday party. Can’t you leave this case to someone else?” I resumed buttoning my shirt, grumbling profanity under my breath.

“What do you want from me? I worked hard to get where I am, and I have responsibilities. They sprung this on me, okay?” Jasper hissed, struggling with his tie. I sighed.

“I just wish you would spend time with the family every now and then,” I whispered softly, helping him with his tie. I fixed his collar and went to the mirror, checking my hair.

“I want that, too, Jade. I really do, but I can’t blow off work.” He kissed me quickly. “Tell Avery happy birthday for me, alright? I’m going to be really late.”

“Fine,” I mumbled, turning to him. I took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

“Yeah, probably around eight,” he murmured, kissing me quickly. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

He offered a small smile before leaving me in the bedroom alone. I heard the door slam shut not too long after.

Honestly, Avery was turning seven today and he couldn’t even stick around for that? That man spent more time at the office than he did at his own house. It was just ridiculous.

I sighed, making my way out to the den. I didn’t know what I was going to do until the party since it wasn’t until noon, so I decided I’d watch some television.

But a doorbell interrupted my loneliness, so I hastily got on my feet and made my way for the door.

“Oh, what are you guys doing here?” I asked, smiling. Quinn, Nathaniel, and Edwin were standing at the door. Natasha was sleeping in Quinn’s arms.

“Well, we figured you were probably lonely,” Quinn told me, smiling. I stepped out of the way, gesturing them to come inside.

“How did you know Jasper wasn’t here?” I asked, entirely confused. I glanced to Edwin and he averted his gaze. “Never mind. So where are Avery and Monique?”

“Oh, well, they’re at my parents’ house. I figured they hadn’t really seen each other lately, so what damage could it do?” Edwin told me with a smile. “Melinda certainly took up the challenge with high spirits.”

“Oh, that’s nice. I’m sorry I never take them over there, but I can’t drive...” I smiled, closing the door softly.

“Okay, so who wants to do some decorating?” Quinn asked, handing Natasha over to Nathaniel. She had this insane grin plastered to her face.

“Me!” I shrieked, throwing my arms around her.

“Let’s get cookin’!”

“Oh, right. I forgot about the cake!”

“Nathan will do it. He cooks like a real lady!”

Nathaniel grumbled something as he set Natasha down on the couch. She slept soundly as he darted into the kitchen, pulling random ingredients out of the cupboards.

“Edwin, Jade, you guys help me with the decorating. Ready? Break!”

So we all make fun of Jasper's teen years behind his back. Will that be a problem?