Baby, I Think I Love You

Chewing On Broken Glass

There was a comfortable silence in the air as we just lay together. I’d forgotten how amazing it felt to be in his arms... I just didn’t get that feeling when I was with Jasper.

Edwin leaned over and kissed me suddenly, refusing to take his lips from mine. I smiled, pulling him closer. But he jerked away from me suddenly.

“What’s wrong?” I whispered, disappointed. Edwin looked torn.

“You know that I would love to stay with you, but why do you do this to me?” he murmured, pulling himself out of bed and yanking his pants on.

“Eddy, it’s complicated. Please don’t go,” I begged, reaching out and grabbing his hand.

“Why can’t you just choose me? We both know that you’d rather be with me than that workaholic!” he shrieked suddenly, tearing his hand from me. He took in a shaky breath. “I’m sorry, but just answer me that.”

I stuttered, dropping my head.

“Edwin, I can’t just leave him. You know that the only reason I’m with him is because you broke my heart.” I glanced up at him, trying not to cry. “I thought you’d cheated on me, but what am I supposed to do? I can’t just leave him for no reason! That’d hurt me more than it’d hurt him. I know what it feels like to be dumped by your fiancé.”

“So do I, Jade!” He fell back onto the bed, resting his head in my lap. I stroked his hair softly. “I miss you so much. I know I was a total jackass, but I was just going through something. I was afraid you were going to leave me again, so I freaked and tried to make sure you couldn’t leave me. I messed up, okay? We all do!”

I sighed, biting my lip and wiping my eyes with my arm.

“Avery, Monique, I know you’re out there,” I mumbled, glancing over to the door. They peeked in, looking rather ashamed.

“What are you two doing?” Edwin muttered, his voice sounding rather muffled. He looked at them through bloodshot eyes, sitting up.

I grabbed his hand and begged him to not cry, but he shook his head and jerked his hand out of my grasp. I sighed, leaning against him. He gave me that at least.

“Mom, what are you doing with him?” Monique asked, accusation in her voice and eyes. Avery looked a little happier.

“That’s how it’s supposed to be, Monique,” he hissed at her, running up to us and dropping into Edwin’s lap, halfway on mine as well. “See? One big, happy family. No Jasper. Mom, Dad loves you. You love him. I miss how it used to be.” He looked at me with watery eyes. I bit my lip, looking away.

“How do you even remember that? You weren’t even a year old.”

“You remember the moments when you were actually happy,” he muttered, running out of the room suddenly.

“Dad called, Mom,” Monique said suddenly. “My real dad. He said to tell you that he got off early so he’s on his way home. I’d get Edwin out of here.” She left just like that. Edwin hung his head.

“She hates me. Well, I should probably go. And don’t worry about today. I won’t tell him. I just want you to be happy.” He kissed me quickly before getting onto his feet, grabbing his shirt, and leaving me all alone. He closed the door softly behind him, not once looking back at me.

He told me he wanted me to be happy, but I’d never been happier than I was a few seconds ago.

I sighed, falling back into bed and throwing the covers over my face. I knew that I still loved Edwin with all of my heart, but...

Why can’t life have a stop button?