Baby, I Think I Love You

Thank You For Being So Rad

“I’m sorry, but I just don’t see how you can forgive him so easily,” Jasper mumbled, kissing my forehead softly as we lay together in bed.

It had been rather quiet, but I had made the mistake to bring up Edwin and how he was going to drop the kids back home. Jasper just had to pick at it.

“It was over six years ago. Besides, I have you. Why would I need to worry about silly old Edwin?” I kissed him quickly before resting my head on his cool chest.

“I love you,” he breathed in my ear. I smiled.

“I love you, too. So when will you be leaving me all alone in this big, empty house?”

Jasper groaned and made a face at me.

“You know I hate leaving you, babe. I can’t help it that I have a job to pay for those two kids. They want everything, I tell you!” He paused to kiss me. “But I should be gone in around half an hour. I’ll be back around seven, okay?”

“Fine. I’ll just sit all by my lonesome at home,” I murmured with a dramatic sigh, grinning when I saw my husband’s amused face.

“Oh, I already called Quinn up. She’ll be here to pick you up right after I leave, so don’t mope around.”

I’m sure my face lit up at the mention of my best friend. We only got to see each other once a week if we even saw each other that much. It’d certainly been a while.

I jumped out of bed and darted for the closet, changing out of my tank-top-and-panties combo. I gasped lightly when I was swept off of my feet and found myself being held close to Jasper’s chest. He laughed softly before setting me down. I mumbled something about his dog and cat being included in his threesome when he was sixteen, but he had surely learned to ignore my rants.

“Hurry home, okay?” I begged as we stood on the front porch embracing each other.

“I will, Jade. I love what I’m coming home to.”

“She loves you, too.”

I would have said more, but there was a honk that broke our conversation. I squealed in delight when Quinn darted out of her Mustang, pulling me into a sudden hug.

“I see that I’ve been replaced,” Jasper mused, laughing. “I’ll swing by to pick you up after the case, love.”

“Okay. I love you, bye!” I called after him as Quinn dragged me away. I saw him shake his head playfully before hopping into his red Mercedes.

I waved goodbye to my poor, abandoned black Mercedes as Quinn pulled out of the driveway.

“So how’s Natasha doing?” I asked Quinn, who was speed racing to get home.

“Oh, Jade! She’s just a doll! She has her daddy’s eyes. She’s just a little angel! Her and Monique and Avery need to all get together soon! Oh, they’ll be best friends forever! Oh my, maybe her and Avery—or Monique, I don’t judge—will get married! We’d be relatives! Oh, I hope she isn’t being too energetic for Nathaniel to handle...”

Her mouth was going a mile a minute. It was almost funny that she hated all little kids other than her own kid and my kids. She still constantly complained about how some parents obviously screwed up with their little whiners, but she had certainly come a long way.

Then again, I suppose we had all come a long way from high school.